The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HappinessHappening
I know this might sound like a ridiculously simple question, but how do scientists actually know about the structure of atoms and their constituent parts? Who proved it? If they're so small, how the hell do they actually know all the stuff seen in chemistry books?

And what do scientists mean when they say they've 'fired' particles in experiments? How can they even do that? How can they 'fire' an electron?

How do we know that the universe is made up of trillions and trillions of these little things called 'atoms'?

:s-smilie:

Scanning electron microscope, or by their interactions with other particles.

The idea of the atom was first though up some guy called brown, and was pieced together by einstein.

It is known as Brownian motion, it you actually want to know the answer, watch BBC Atom, poisting in general discussion tents to attract idiots.

Reply 101
HappinessHappening
Why do you have to hit a base? I'm not talking about creating anything 'new', so to speak; I'm just talking about getting smaller and smaller ad infinitum. There seems to be no logical reason why you couldn't go on dividing forever.

if we do get to a fundamental base particle, then it would very hard to break it into smaller peices, as you need something to break it, but there is nothing smaller...in simple terms, knives can cut things because the knive edge is narrower than the object you are cuting, so it would also be impossible to cut your hair lengthwise, as your hair is very much likely to be narrower than the knives edge?......understand?....I'm not very good at explaining things....:p:
Reply 102
DR_X
if we do get to a fundamental base particle, then it would very hard to break it into smaller peices, as you need something to break it, but there is nothing smaller...in simple terms, knives can cut things because the knive edge is narrower than the object you are cuting, so it would also be impossible to cut your hair lengthwise, as your hair is very much likely to be narrower than the knives edge?......understand?....I'm not very good at explaining things....:p:

It wouldn't just be 'very hard', it would be - by definition - impossible. :P
Reply 103
phen
It wouldn't just be 'very hard', it would be - by definition - impossible. :P

that's what I want to say......
but, you know how it is with TSR, someone would say, it is possible....:wink:
Reply 104
HappinessHappening
I know this might sound like a ridiculously simple question, but how do scientists actually know about the structure of atoms and their constituent parts? Who proved it? If they're so small, how the hell do they actually know all the stuff seen in chemistry books?

And what do scientists mean when they say they've 'fired' particles in experiments? How can they even do that? How can they 'fire' an electron?

How do we know that the universe is made up of trillions and trillions of these little things called 'atoms'?

:s-smilie:

you can see atoms if you use scanning tunneling microscopy, infact you can even draw pictures!!
I thought you couldn't know an atom's exact position and momentum?
[Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle]
they don't know its a guess and a representation of what they believe just like religion, its something they want you to believe just like what does 2 + 2 = ? 4 or 5 just because your told and fed that it does add you to 4 doesn't mean that its right
Dairy Milk Chocolate
I thought you couldn't know an atom's exact position and momentum?
[Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle]

You can know them but not both Position and velocity at the same time.

i.e you can know position but not velocity, or you can know velocity but not position.
scorpion95
they don't know its a guess and a representation of what they believe just like religion, its something they want you to believe just like what does 2 + 2 = ? 4 or 5 just because your told and fed that it does add you to 4 doesn't mean that its right

Atoms have been proven with absolute certainty since the Electron microscope, and in 1827 with Brownian motion.

Don't reply unless you know what you are talking about.
innerhollow
It's a very good question actually! I have often wondered how they managed to surmise the exact nature of atoms and molecules. I mean, they can even measure the length of certain covalent bonds!

However, I know the way they managed to draw these conclusions is incredibly complex and not something I could easily understand at this stage, so I don't give it much thought. Technically since I haven't seen the proof with my own eyes, I only believe that atoms exist, but it doesn't really matter. They're insignificant in terms of my life. At the end of the day, my knowledge on atoms is only really useful for getting good marks in exams.

Go and do the Brownian motion experiment then.
Electron microsopes and Scanning tunnelling microscopes can be used to make observations on the atomic scale.

We can't actually see inside them but Rutherford's alpha scattering investigations shows that there is a heavy (but tiny) positive mass in the centre with most of the atom being empty space.
It's just a model, it isn't actually confirmed with real physical observations of the internal atom itself but the model works and fits all scientific theory.
Playboy King
Electron microsopes and Scanning tunnelling microscopes can be used to make observations on the atomic scale.

We can't actually see inside them but Rutherford's alpha scattering investigations shows that there is a heavy (but tiny) positive mass in the centre with most of the atom being empty space.
It's just a model, it isn't actually confirmed with real physical observations of the internal atom itself but the model works and fits all scientific theory.

Question was about the Atom, which can be seen, nothing was mentioned about the subatomic.

Although the subatomic structure has been confirmed by observation, through particle accelerators. Protons, electrons and neutrons are definitely there, beyond that the standard model seems pretty water tight. (unless you ask a string theorist)
innerhollow
You make it sound like that's easy. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't have a lab with that kind of facility in my bedroom now (this is real life, not Dexter's Laboratory)

The original experiment involved pollen and water.

Watch the video in this post.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23218399&postcount=101
vas876
Atoms have been proven with absolute certainty since the Electron microscope, and in 1827 with Brownian motion.

Don't reply unless you know what you are talking about.

have you personally seen them? or you believe what you been told and has been published
scorpion95
have you personally seen them? or you believe what you been told and has been published

Seen them with Brownian motion experiment and via a scanning electron microscope.

Anything else?
Do scientists believe in it(that electrons exist)? Yes, why do they believe it? simply, because it's consistent with all the measurement that they have done and
everyone can repeat the experiment to determine whether electrons exist or not, provided you have the equiments, which you need to pay yourself lol
Reply 116
scorpion95

I've never seen the Grand Canyon before, but I believe it exists because I've seen pictures of it. I've also been told that it exists by people who have seen it first hand.
You Failed
I CAN DO THAT! I dunno if I want to be responsible for the OPs exploding head though =P

Do it! 5 points for every tsr user you kill due to head explosions, -5 points if you kill a kitten though :wink:
2kuayyaz
Yeh, according to science, the wings of the bees are too light, and the bee are too heavy fot them to be able to fly.

Okay I see what you're saying. It sounded a bit :s-smilie: to me so I've read into it a bit more. Quite interesting actually.

Turns out that in the 30s some guy applied air resistance equations to bumblebees and found that their flight couldn't be explained by them. But he used fixed wing equations.. Like on aeroplanes. That's where the common misconception about a bee not being able to fly according to science comes from.

But really it just confirms that bees don't engage in fixed wing flight but by other ways.. A bit like helicopters apparently.
Reply 119
fire2burn
Do it! 5 points for every tsr user you kill due to head explosions, -5 points if you kill a kitten though :wink:

But how will you know? :beard:

Latest

Trending

Trending