Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I'm saying most things in life are made up. Whether science, religion, God, etc.

So yes, atoms don't exist.
    science isnt "made up"? science is the quest for fact, If something cannot conclusively be proved it remains theory no matter how strong evidence there is for it, ie Theory of Evolution

ReputationRep:
    Better than any picture of an atom is atomic spectroscopy. (Wikipedia 'H-alpha line'). Quantum theory, which essentially constructs theoretical models of 'atom like objects', predicts the exact wavelength of light that will be emitted in electronic transitions in an atom that is observed in nature. Since this relies simply on detecting photons and determining their energy, something all video cameras around the world can do, I think it is a very simple way of determining that (at the very least) something very much like atoms does actually exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    But how will you know? :beard:
    I'll flip a coin of course :awesome:

Heads the cats alive, tails it's dead. Lands of it's side... then it's neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    I'll flip a coin of course :awesome:

Heads the cats alive, tails it's dead. Lands of it's side... then it's neither.
    If it doesn't land at all, it's both. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    If it doesn't land at all, it's both. :awesome:
    If a coin's floating in mid air, I don't think the fate of the cat is relevant at that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Question was about the Atom, which can be seen, nothing was mentioned about the subatomic.
    OP states: "how do scientists actually know about the structure of atoms and their constituent parts?"

So, either you can't read or you just don't know what the words constituent and subatomic means.

And even if it was indeed only regarding the atom and nothing about the subatomic scale was mentioned..what's the big deal with going beyond the scope?

Actually, I don't even know why I'm surprised here...you seem as if you have nothing better to do other than nitpick posts on here - and you can't even do that right because the OP did mention the atom's constituents. Tut tut, poor in your own little game. Step it up dude :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    OP states: "how do scientists actually know about the structure of atoms and their constituent parts?"

So, either you can't read or you just don't know what the words constituent and subatomic means.

And even if it was indeed only regarding the atom and nothing about the subatomic scale was mentioned..what's the big deal with going beyond the scope?

Actually, I don't even know why I'm surprised here...you seem as if you have nothing better to do other than nitpick posts on here - and you can't even do that right because the OP did mention the atom's constituents. Tut tut, poor in your own little game. Step it up dude :rolleyes:

At least your on the ball. :cool:

Not the part of my post i was hoping to be quoted on but, either way touche!

(Original post by Dadeyemi)
    Hypothetically there could be another theory which explains the images without the existence of atoms, just because this isn't the accepted theory doesn't mean its wrong. Science cannot prove anything without some basic assertions thus it is impossible to know that the atoms exist and that what is in that picture is the atom as modern theory describes it. I'm not saying its not a good reason to believe that atoms exist just not a good reason to claim you know atoms exist.
    If valid, that would appear to be an objection to all claims of knowledge, rather than a problem which is just particular to science.

ReputationRep:
    op you should read soem quantum theory stuff thatll blow ure mind, and part of yout problem with atoms is how your tryign to picture them. the quantum world is a stange place, maybe watch like 'the elegant universe' on youtube , or the book schrodingers cat is a nice place to start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)

Incorrect, thats how we know.
    the beliefs of scientists. that's all it is.

Yes an image is just beliefs :/, not.

ReputationRep:
    OK then. Let's reverse this around much in the manner of a religious text debating the existence of a God.

Prove that atoms don't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    What the hell is that?
    Honestly I htought it was a knuckle duster when I first saw it

ReputationRep:
    Yes an image is just beliefs :/, not.
    But then a Christian could just go:

Oh look - Jesus exists, theres a picture.

(Although I am not saying that Jesus exists and that atoms don't, I'm saying that a picture doesn't really prove anything a lot of the time)

(Original post by Kaykiie)
    But then a Christian could just go:

Oh look - Jesus exists, theres a picture.

(Although I am not saying that Jesus exists and that atoms don't, I'm saying that a picture doesn't really prove anything a lot of the time)
    Is that an actual photograph? No.. So thats totally totally different.

ReputationRep:
    Is that an actual photograph? No.. So thats totally totally different.
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    Nobody has managed to show that they don't exist: every experiment made has worked according to the model => the likelihood of atoms not existing is close to non existent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    I know this might sound like a ridiculously simple question, but how do scientists actually know about the structure of atoms and their constituent parts? Who proved it? If they're so small, how the hell do they actually know all the stuff seen in chemistry books?

And what do scientists mean when they say they've 'fired' particles in experiments? How can they even do that? How can they 'fire' an electron?

How do we know that the universe is made up of trillions and trillions of these little things called 'atoms'?

They only have strong evidence due to tests of eletrostatic attractions and the distance travelled through magnetic fields, its all extremely complicated stuff which I can't remember/can't be arsed to explain from IB science. At the end of the day noone knows that atoms exist they can only provide significant evidence.

(Original post by gingergooner)
    They only have strong evidence due to tests of eletrostatic attractions and the distance travelled through magnetic fields, its all extremely complicated stuff which I can't remember/can't be arsed to explain from IB science. At the end of the day noone knows that atoms exist they can only provide significant evidence.
    Wrong wrong wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1992)
    science isnt "made up"? science is the quest for fact, If something cannot conclusively be proved it remains theory no matter how strong evidence there is for it, ie Theory of Evolution
    You don't prove anything in science you just try to disprove every theory that isn't yours. If no other alternative is viable that makes your theory the most likely to date. someone could show that atoms don't exist, in which case the whole model has to be rethought. If they manage to show that the Higg's boson doesn't exist that means there's a lot of rethinking to do.
    A part from maths where you can prove stuff

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.