Turn on thread page Beta

For the Girls ........ Cauliflower Ear watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby sexy)
    Rugby players are ******s in any case. I can't think of anything worse than groping men.
    LOL, you have clearly never played Rugby.

Its not the nicest thing in the world, but it won't be a sole excuse not to be with someone.

ReputationRep:
    Im my opinion i think they look hideous but im not gona judge a person soley on that, they are just a downer if seen.

ReputationRep:
    anyone wanna come round and bash me around the head a bit?
    i need this, it's ever so macho. can't pass up on free manpoints.

ReputationRep:
    Um that's pretty bad :/ in the end it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me...but if you can prevent it, do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam656)
    Doesn't matter if you're ugly (Sure you aren't) if you have big self confidence and a ego youll do pretty fine. Unless you're a complete pig of course http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ies/lolwut.gif
    I think I'm a nice enough person, but it's just a bit hard to remain confident at times, especially at my age. Switching off the part of me that cares helps! :yep:

Put it this way, I scrolled down to see the first picture and had to scroll back up and make sure I could no longer see it before I was able to carry on reading your post

ReputationRep:
    Oh so THAT's what cauliflower ear is.. wow, wtf just wear the headguard! It's not attractive, and if you can prevent it then just do it!

I feel so shallow :sigh:
    But it is true.

ReputationRep:
    Looks horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Deformed ears aren't attractive, although there are countries where a cauliflower ear is something people want to develop, bizarrely. Iran, for example, which has a strong wrestling culture. Still, I get the impression that's the men wanting them in order to look tough, rather than women thinking "ooo, that's hot." I could be wrong, though.

In terms of preventing cauliflower ear, as per FAQ, I'd recommend checking out the Fightworks Podcast interview with a doctor who also has experience in BJJ. On that same site, there was also a post put up about the same topic. See also the article on Grapplearts.

Cauliflower ear, to quote from Caleb's post, is caused "when the ear receives a blow that shears away the ear’s cartilage from its overlying perichondrium. Liquid fills the new space between the two layers, and will harden into a hard fibrous lump if not drained."

So in other words, any kind of heavy trauma to the ear can result in a cauliflower ear: that could be a small number of solid blows (again in that post, Robson Moura mentions that he got cauli after just one incident, so you could be unlucky), or it could be extended damage (such as driving the side of your head into someone else, as might occur when working for position in wrestling).

To prevent cauliflower ear, invest in protective equipment, like a headguard or earguards (since September 2008, I've occasionally used a Brute Shockwave), commonly worn in wrestling. However, some people find them uncomfortable to wear, and in certain BJJ competitions (for example) you can't wear them.

To treat cauliflower ear, you need to get the fluid drained and then compress the area. It is important to go to a doctor as soon as possible if you can see your ear is flaring up, as without rapid treatment it can become permanent. It may help if you describe it in medically correct terms as an 'aural hematoma' in order to facilitate quicker treatment.

I've been training BJJ since November 2006 and haven't had any problems with cauliflower ear so far, but as the example of Robson Moura shows, it can happen quickly, so its worth being careful.

(Original post by saab_101)
    I don't grapple much tho (although i'm looking for a cheap bjj class)
    I think I may have already said this to you, but in case I'm misremembering: I have a map of all the BJJ clubs I'm aware of in the UK here.

Generally, 'cheap' and 'BJJ' are mutually exclusive. However, in smaller towns or under lower belts, you can get a cheaper price. For example, in Coventry, blue belt Rich Green teaches for £5 a lesson. I currently train with brown belt Kev Capel at a Roger Gracie affiliate in High Wycombe, which is £40 a month (that gets you two nights a week, with two classes each night. You can also train at the Aylesbury location, which again runs two nights a week with two classes each night).

Even in London, there are a few places which are a bit more affordable. I enjoyed training at RGA HQ in Ladbroke, but it is definitely very pricey at £100 (though if you're just starting, you pay £90. Goes up to £100 when you get to blue, or at least it did when I was there).

The RGA affiliate in Farringdon is £59 a month last time I checked. Carlson Gracie's is around £60 (and I think that means you can train at any Carlson affiliate around London too, which is pretty cool).

ReputationRep:
    LOL It's disgusting but hilarious at the same time, cauliflower ear, lmfao.
    But seriously, I don't think I would mind.

ReputationRep:
    Eww, they look awful. If you can prevent it then obviously do so.
    It's like having loads of huge verrucas on your feet or something. It's not a dealbreaker, but it certainly isn't attractive, and if you can prevent it then you should do all in your power to do so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slideyfoot)
    Deformed ears aren't attractive, although there are countries where a cauliflower ear is something people want to develop, bizarrely. Iran, for example, which has a strong wrestling culture. Still, I get the impression that's the men wanting them in order to look tough, rather than women thinking "ooo, that's hot." I could be wrong, though.

In terms of preventing cauliflower ear, as per FAQ, I'd recommend checking out the Fightworks Podcast interview with a doctor who also has experience in BJJ. On that same site, there was also a post put up about the same topic. See also the article on Grapplearts.

Cauliflower ear, to quote from Caleb's post, is caused "when the ear receives a blow that shears away the ear’s cartilage from its overlying perichondrium. Liquid fills the new space between the two layers, and will harden into a hard fibrous lump if not drained."

So in other words, any kind of heavy trauma to the ear can result in a cauliflower ear: that could be a small number of solid blows (again in that post, Robson Moura mentions that he got cauli after just one incident, so you could be unlucky), or it could be extended damage (such as driving the side of your head into someone else, as might occur when working for position in wrestling).

To prevent cauliflower ear, invest in protective equipment, like a headguard or earguards (since September 2008, I've occasionally used a Brute Shockwave), commonly worn in wrestling. However, some people find them uncomfortable to wear, and in certain BJJ competitions (for example) you can't wear them.

To treat cauliflower ear, you need to get the fluid drained and then compress the area. It is important to go to a doctor as soon as possible if you can see your ear is flaring up, as without rapid treatment it can become permanent. It may help if you describe it in medically correct terms as an 'aural hematoma' in order to facilitate quicker treatment.

I've been training BJJ since November 2006 and haven't had any problems with cauliflower ear so far, but as the example of Robson Moura shows, it can happen quickly, so its worth being careful.

I think I may have already said this to you, but in case I'm misremembering: I have a map of all the BJJ clubs I'm aware of in the UK here.

Generally, 'cheap' and 'BJJ' are mutually exclusive. However, in smaller towns or under lower belts, you can get a cheaper price. For example, in Coventry, blue belt Rich Green teaches for £5 a lesson. I currently train with brown belt Kev Capel at a Roger Gracie affiliate in High Wycombe, which is £40 a month (that gets you two nights a week, with two classes each night. You can also train at the Aylesbury location, which again runs two nights a week with two classes each night).

Even in London, there are a few places which are a bit more affordable. I enjoyed training at RGA HQ in Ladbroke, but it is definitely very pricey at £100 (though if you're just starting, you pay £90. Goes up to £100 when you get to blue, or at least it did when I was there).

The RGA affiliate in Farringdon is £59 a month last time I checked. Carlson Gracie's is around £60 (and I think that means you can train at any Carlson affiliate around London too, which is pretty cool).
    hey, cheers. Yeah you did, at the mo i'm waiting to start a new job (hopefully in a couple of weeks) and then i'll start training down at dartford mma

ReputationRep:
    Cant you just wear one of those band things? I dont actually know what they are called, but they look a bit like a sweat band?
    I hate wearing my scrum cap too, urg, just makes me too hot.
    I do though, there's no way I'm ending up with cauliflower ears, not cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    then i'll start training down at dartford mma
    Ah yes, I remember now: say hi to Meg from me.

(Original post by slideyfoot)

Ah slideyfoot, I was reading your blog last night at your time at RGA while I was searching for something on google. It is indeed great at RGA and esp for me as they have a variety of big guys I can train with, with out demolishing the little 80kgs :p:

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    I think I'm a nice enough person, but it's just a bit hard to remain confident at times, especially at my age. Switching off the part of me that cares helps! :yep:
    Just call and think of your self as amazing hot, will work wonders

ReputationRep:
    They are quite ugly but not enough to put me off a guy I liked lol. In fact, it's unlikely I would notice. I didn't even know what 'cauliflower ears' were until I came on this thread haha :laugh: Don't worry about it, OP

(Original post by S_123)
    They are quite ugly but not enough to put me off a guy I liked lol. In fact, it's unlikely I would notice. I didn't even know what 'cauliflower ears' were until I came on this thread haha :laugh: Don't worry about it, OP
    I heard if you have them real bad and rub your ears on someone, it's like a grinding feel / noise because of the hardness lol,

Wouldn't bother you though right? :p:

ReputationRep:
    It shows
    - you play rugby
    - rugby players are hot (most the time)
    - tough
    - a man

:top:

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't stop watching the video...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.