Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can hear my flatmate... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This might sound really stupid but I have a massive phobia of vomit.

And right now the girl next door to me has been vomiting for about an hour and I'm freaking out. I'm shaking and having palpitations and wanting to cry. I really don't know what to do, I've got my iPod on full blast to drown out the noise (and I dread when each song ends because I can hear her again) but I know (as it's happened before with my brother) that I won't sleep tonight because of this and I have an exam tomorrow.

I really need help on how to get over this phobia, it always strikes at the worst times and I feel so stupid. How do I get over this?!

ReputationRep:
    Go see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely come on TSR and start a thread about it.

Use your time to revise or go for a walk outside...at 2am...(?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Go see your GP.
    QFT.

Hold a dieing person in your arms with them throwing up blood, you'll get over it.

ReputationRep:
    GP. That or "conquer" your fear by taking a bath of the stuff ;P

Seek professional help. Your GP will probably get you to go to a therapist, and they may even try to hypnotise it out of you.

To be fair though vom is really manky

Goodluck with you exam!!

ReputationRep:
    ****inserts vomit emoticon**** cant find one :poke:

get a grip im getting SICK of these threads

what do you think is going to happen? they're vomiting not you.

ReputationRep:
    Get a grip and go and see if she's OK maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Go and ask her if she's alright?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    what do you think is going to happen? they're vomiting not you.
    (Original post by Kaizane)
    Get a grip and go and see if she's OK maybe?
    I think some people on here don't quite get the meaning of the word "phobia"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Go see your GP.
    OP's GP?! Her flat mate's been throwing up for about an hour! Sod OP's GP, what about Flatmate X's GP??!!

OP, get some help for your flatmate.
    Then go and see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys. I'll try and see my GP about it, I didn't know they dealt with that kind of thing.

Sorry guys saying "Go see her" and "Get a grip" but I don't think you quiet understand the phobia here. Its ruining my life, 'just gong to see her' is out of the question, I literally can't go anywhere near vomit. My best friend had food poisoning over Christmas and I couldn't bring myself to see her for about 2 weeks after because she had vomited. I understand how ridiculous I sound but I can't help it.

ReputationRep:
    Pfff what a weird thing to fear.

Don't worry. You'll be OK. Try to relax and do some revision with your earphones in. Then go see your GP when you can. It's a really common phobia.

(Original post by HyperGiant)
    i wasn't attacking, i was trying to help by adding some rational input. i know what a ******* phobia is.

ReputationRep:
    I know what a phobia is, I just felt like being harsh!

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see how you react when you throw up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperGiant)
    I know what a phobia is, I just felt like being harsh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Don't worry. You'll be OK. Try to relax and do some revision with your earphones in. Then go see your GP when you can. It's a really common phobia.
    An anonymous reply :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    i wasn't attacking, i was trying to help by adding some rational input. i know what a ******* phobia is.
    Calm down. What you said displayed misunderstanding. As I'm sure you know, a phobia is not rational at all, and cannot be dispersed by simply pointing out that they have no reason to feel that way.

I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just concerned about the extent of your understanding. Don't take it personally and no need to swear.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.