Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've been very unwell since last Sunday. At first it was a bit of a fever, tiredness and toothache, but after the early hours of Tuesday I was in absolute agony and the whole right side of my face swelled, my ears and neck were aching, and I went to an emergency health centre. I do not have my own dentist as I got kicked off the books (school dentist) when I was 18 and haven't needed a dentist since, so when I got checked out it turned out I had a massive gum infection/series of abscesses in the whole right half of my top jaw. I was mortified because I'd never had anything like that before and all it was caused my was a tiny cavity in one of my molars that I hadn't noticed. Anyway, I was prescribed a high dose of antibiotics (metronidazole 400mg), and after 24 hours taking them I had an adverse reaction - I was vomiting constantly I couldnt even keep liquids down let alone solids, my face came out in a blotchy rash, and all of my face was puffy especially my eyelids and lips, and I was incredibly feverish and short of breath. I sought the advice of the emergency dentist I had seen and after taking a good look at me they prescribed a much lower dose of antibiotic (amoxicillin 250mg) that I had taken in the past and had reacted okay with. I have been fine with these so far but it will mean I will be taking them longer and my recovery will be slower. I have my first exam on Tuesday and haven't been able to do ANY revision as I am stuck at my parent's home ill.

My question is...how do I go about seeking mitigating circumstances in this situation? I know that my university accepts serious unexpected illness as a mitigating circumstance but they require documentary evidence and all I have are my two boxes of pills. I have no idea how to get a sicknote off a dentist I don't know the name of (the emergency dentists work on a roster) and I'm not sure if I can ask my GP? Has anyone else had to do this?

Thanks for your time.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to just ask your GP.

ReputationRep:
    The emergency dentist place will have a record that you were seen, they should be able to sort something out for you. Phone up the receptionist and ask nicely.

(Hope you're feeling better soon).

ReputationRep:
    I had serious impacted wisdom teeth pain/infection last year and was able to just ask my dentist for a letter stating I'd been treated because I missed two exams. It was fine. Toothache is the worst!

ReputationRep:
    It will be on your notes that you were treated at this surgery and by whom, they will just get one of the other dentists to write it for you we do it all the time so just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Hi there,

I've been very unwell since last Sunday. At first it was a bit of a fever, tiredness and toothache, but after the early hours of Tuesday I was in absolute agony and the whole right side of my face swelled, my ears and neck were aching, and I went to an emergency health centre. I do not have my own dentist as I got kicked off the books (school dentist) when I was 18 and haven't needed a dentist since, so when I got checked out it turned out I had a massive gum infection/series of abscesses in the whole right half of my top jaw. I was mortified because I'd never had anything like that before and all it was caused my was a tiny cavity in one of my molars that I hadn't noticed. Anyway, I was prescribed a high dose of antibiotics (metronidazole 400mg), and after 24 hours taking them I had an adverse reaction - I was vomiting constantly I couldnt even keep liquids down let alone solids, my face came out in a blotchy rash, and all of my face was puffy especially my eyelids and lips, and I was incredibly feverish and short of breath. I sought the advice of the emergency dentist I had seen and after taking a good look at me they prescribed a much lower dose of antibiotic (amoxicillin 250mg) that I had taken in the past and had reacted okay with. I have been fine with these so far but it will mean I will be taking them longer and my recovery will be slower. I have my first exam on Tuesday and haven't been able to do ANY revision as I am stuck at my parent's home ill.

My question is...how do I go about seeking mitigating circumstances in this situation? I know that my university accepts serious unexpected illness as a mitigating circumstance but they require documentary evidence and all I have are my two boxes of pills. I have no idea how to get a sicknote off a dentist I don't know the name of (the emergency dentists work on a roster) and I'm not sure if I can ask my GP? Has anyone else had to do this?

Thanks for your time.
    Out of interest, did you consume any alcohol within around 24 hours of starting the metronizadole? Either before or after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Out of interest, did you consume any alcohol within around 24 hours of starting the metronizadole? Either before or after.
    God no, I couldn't even drink water. Avoiding alcohol was written in big letters on the front of the box so I wasn't going to do that. I hadn't had any since Saturday and I took the pills during late Tuesday and Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionak)
    It will be on your notes that you were treated at this surgery and by whom, they will just get one of the other dentists to write it for you we do it all the time so just ask.
    Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
    The emergency dentist place will have a record that you were seen, they should be able to sort something out for you. Phone up the receptionist and ask nicely.

(Hope you're feeling better soon).
    Thank you I will definitely ask back there. I've been waking up all night, I keep clanking my teeth togather in my sleep and causing myself agony. Eugh...I'm so tired and hungry.

ReputationRep:
    Tooth ache is worst kind of pain that one can suffer from. Once the same thing happened to me. I had a fever and my face started to swell up. When I went to the dentist he told me that one of my molars had to be removed it had to much cavity. After he removed it, the swelling and the pain stopped.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.