Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How long did it take you to learn to swim? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well, how long did it take you? Did you have lessons or were you plonked in the water at a young age and taught by a parent? I know everyone is different etc, but roughly how long would it take if I had lessons? I really want to learn to swim before going on my honeymoon in July! Thinking of taking some lessons in February/March.

ReputationRep:
    I learnt when I was in year 2, I don't remember exactly how long it took. I had lessons with my school and I think I learnt very quickly, but I was a fearless child so that probably has something to do with it. If you are scared of drowning/getting your face wet then it will take longer.
    Good luck, I'm sure you will manage.

ReputationRep:
    taught when I was 6.
    and I cent remember
    but it was only some minutes before I was waddling around like a guppy or something.

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully not quite as long as it would have taken me to drown.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, it'll take quite a while to learn to swim so you don't look like you're just trying to stay afloat. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think I was 3...Cant tell you how long it took though

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by learning to swim. It also depends on the individual, namely in the sense of what their attitude to water is. For somebody who is afraid of water, it is going to take quite a length of time. Before you even learn to swim, you're going to have to overcome your fear. Once your past that step (if it ever existed) you are at a mature stage to begin learning. As you are an older person who can better absorb the information, you may find it easier than it would have been when you were younger. Thereafter, in terms of learning butterfly or front crawl, it shouldn't take you that long to actually learn to swim in terms of being able to progress comfortably and confidently in the water. I learned to swim later in life and had a strong action going after four (forty-five minute) lessons. Therefore, I could swim. But stamina was the biggest problem. Learning to breathe properly was another massive problem. This can take twice as long as actually learning the method to swim. So, learning to swim for a long period of time is far more difficult. Economy of action is what you have to learn, really. Learning to swim is quite easy in itself, becoming an able swimmer is not. It will take at least eight weeks and most likely double that just to become competent in the water. Maybe half a year until you can swim properly.

But this is just an estimate. If you're super-confident and super-fit you'll have a big chance to get way ahead of schedule.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad taught me in about 2 hours (I was about 8 at the time i think)

ReputationRep:
    I can't swim :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I never really learnt lol. I lied forward and copied the kicking motion and arm motion I saw on the TV - hey presto :-P

ReputationRep:
    I swam before I was born. :awesome:

Though, in all seriousness now.. I don't remember how long it took. I know my parents let me swim at an early age, unlike my older brother (as he was their first child.. being careful and all). All I know is that I can't remember not being able to swim!

ReputationRep:
    i learned to swim before i was 4 so i can't remember, i can't remember not being able to swim, its like walking soooo simple. op it wont take you long

ReputationRep:
    Very young, grew up almost on the beach. My sister was scared of water though and did not learn till she was an adult, think she had about 10 lessons. Only word of warning is if you are a very new swimmer and are going to swim in the sea be careful, undercurrents, swimming in a tidal pull is very different from a pool.

ReputationRep:
    People saying they could "swim" at the age of 4 are talking crap You might have been able to do some things across a small distance but I wouldnt call that swimming. I think I was about 7 when I took first proper lessons and then was about 10 when I got into the swimming team. As someone said before, becuase your an adult you will absorb what your being taught more easily and you have a better attention span than kids. Depending on how you are in water already eg happy to put your face in etc you should be ok
    Im a swimming teacher now and teach beginner to intermediates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    People saying they could "swim" at the age of 4 are talking crap You might have been able to do some things across a small distance but I wouldnt call that swimming. I think I was about 7 when I took first proper lessons and then was about 10 when I got into the swimming team. As someone said before, becuase your an adult you will absorb what your being taught more easily and you have a better attention span than kids. Depending on how you are in water already eg happy to put your face in etc you should be ok
    Im a swimming teacher now and teach beginner to intermediates
    Really? I'd think adults would learn slower, in pretty much the same way learning a new language is a lot harder for them. But I guess you know better, being a swimming teacher and all? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    Really? I'd think adults would learn slower, in pretty much the same way learning a new language is a lot harder for them. But I guess you know better, being a swimming teacher and all? :s
    as i said above it depends how happy you are in the water. Usually adults arent afraid to get there face wet where as some kids just wont move if theres water splashing or going on there face. Also kids have the attention span like the memory of a gold fish. You constantly repeat yourself because there looking at other people and splashing about instead of paying attention while you demonstrate or explain things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    as i said above it depends how happy you are in the water. Usually adults arent afraid to get there face wet where as some kids just wont move if theres water splashing or going on there face. Also kids have the attention span like the memory of a gold fish. You constantly repeat yourself because there looking at other people and splashing about instead of paying attention while you demonstrate or explain things
    Well, I suppose that does make sense!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I can't swim :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Been swimming most of my life, from about the age 4?
    It doesn't take many lessons when you're younger because you kinda absorb everything, but 20 years on the whole fear factor comes into play, so you should give it a good 2 months?

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember tbh... not that long... probably when i was 4 or 5?

I do rememeber my parents bribing me to jump into the pool though! :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.