Turn on thread page Beta

How long did it take you to learn to swim? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was around 7 and I learnt how to swim all by myself, without any help.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how confident you are in the water. Iv seen kids scared of water going on there face or scared they sink etc and it takes lots of lessons. But then I have also seen kids not scared at all.. they might be doing the wrong technique but can swim along the bottom of the pool or jump in without wanting a hand to hold and these kids move up classes so fast just due to the fact they arent afraid to try things and be in the water

ReputationRep:
    I could swim 10 meters or so when I was 3. I started going in the pool when I was 2. I think I stopped my swimming lessons when I was 8, as all the funky badges were no longer funky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    becuase your an adult you will absorb what your being taught more easily
    Thats rubbish tbh. The older you are, the harder it is to learn anything. Babies are actually born with the natural ability to swim, but they loose it after a number of months.

ReputationRep:
    My dad taught me when I was 5... It took me about a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Thats rubbish tbh. The older you are, the harder it is to learn anything. Babies are actually born with the natural ability to swim, but they loose it after a number of months.
    I meant due to the fact an adult isnt wondering around the pool looking at other swimmers or playing with the water in there hand. They look at you and pay attention to what your saying, im not saying they will grasp the stroke first time. And as I mentioned later it depends how confident you are in the water.

ReputationRep:
    I had swimming lessons at school but never learnt how to swim. I still can't swim now unless for a really short amount of time, not even the width of a pool let alone a length. I would love to learn but I would rather my boyfriend or friend gave it a go than have lessons now I'm older...

ReputationRep:
    I cracked it in about 4 weeks I think? Then again, I was like 7 and had lessons once per week. Therefore, about 4 hours to learn how to stay afloat and make my way across a pool? Once you are comfortable in water and realise that you will not sink like a stone, you adapt quite rapidly.

Just thinking about it makes me want to get back into a pool...it's been years since I last went swimming. I should really throw away my confidence issues and use the one in my gym...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.