Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    Allow me to congratulate you on your eloquent and persuasive moral judgement on my character. One can tell, you are the first truly intelligent person to respond to my thread. Considering it was my intention to meet people such as yourself, it would seem to betray my initial purpose to attack you in my defense. Nevertheless, I feel I must.

I am not going to debate the validity of IQ tests in the measurement of intelligence, as many studies have and continue to explore this in much more detail than I could possibly describe on here. What I will say, is that, it is currently the best form of measurement we have as an indicator of intelligence.

Furthermore, the subjects which interest me are simply not commonly understood by the layman. With what you have to say, it is so easy to please the masses. So simple to appear the protagonist; the voice of reason, humbling the arrogant, narrow minded bigot. But you know as well as I, that I am much more likely to find people with interests in common among people with a similar interlect. If I want to discuss subjects of substance, such as String theory, Hawkins Radiation, Descartes - the nature of consciousness etc, please do not attempt to tell me that the average person in a supermarket or on the street is going to be able to adaquately converse in any depth whatsoever.

You are intelligent enough to know that the words I speak are the frank and honest truth. To claim otherwise is disingenuous of you Sir. I agree it is interesting to have friends with interests other than my own, but I have friends like these. I am grateful for them and enjoy talking to them, but sometimes, they talk about nonsense like it matters and this is sometimes tiresome.

I do not seek a 'magic problem-free environment'. I only seek people, who like myself, occassionally wish to speak about matters of substance and have the ability to do so.
    Would it not have been a better idea to firstly introduce yourself? Instead you opted for ailianating the majority of posters on here with your high requirements(Impossible for anyone living outside of England).

Alternatively you could simply start a topic(in the relevant forum) discussing one of your desired interests. You could then go through the list of replies and PM anyone, who you feel made an educated comment on the subject, for a more in depth discussion.

Good luck, i hope you find some people who fit your own interpretation of ''gifted.'' :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    You are a tool because of your original and subsequent posts. Whenever somebody says 'this is not meant to offend', 'I don't mean to be rude' or something of a similar ilk, they know that it will do exactly that. You knew that a thread like this would make readers irate but you still posted it because you think that somehow, by doing so, you will be perceived as everything you want to be.
    Beleieve it or not, I do not wish to be percieved as arrogant or a 'tool'. As you rightly say I knew that some would be offended and so wrote 'please do not be offended', because I honestly did not want to offend anyone. As has been suggested by Salome2 and others, I should have opened a thread relating to an interest of mine, which would then have attracted the kind of people I wish to meet. But give me a break, it's late, this is just an internet forum, and I do not understand why people have to take it so personally.

I look forward to the rest of your gripping explanation.

ReputationRep:
    Allow me to congratulate you on your eloquent and persuasive moral judgement on my character. One can tell, you are the first truly intelligent person to respond to my thread. Considering it was my intention to meet people such as yourself, it would seem to betray my initial purpose to attack you in my defense. Nevertheless, I feel I must.

I am not going to debate the validity of IQ tests in the measurement of intelligence, as many studies have and continue to explore this in much more detail than I could possibly describe on here. What I will say, is that, it is currently the best form of measurement we have as an indicator of intelligence.

Furthermore, the subjects which interest me are simply not commonly understood by the layman. With what you have to say, it is so easy to please the masses. So simple to appear the protagonist; the voice of reason, humbling the arrogant, narrow minded bigot. But you know as well as I, that I am much more likely to find people with interests in common among people with a similar interlect. If I want to discuss subjects of substance, such as String theory, Hawkins Radiation, Descartes - the nature of consciousness etc, please do not attempt to tell me that the average person in a supermarket or on the street is going to be able to adaquately converse in any depth whatsoever.

You are intelligent enough to know that the words I speak are the frank and honest truth. To claim otherwise is disingenuous of you Sir. I agree it is interesting to have friends with interests other than my own, but I have friends like these. I am grateful for them and enjoy talking to them, but sometimes, they talk about nonsense like it matters and this is sometimes tiresome.

I do not seek a 'magic problem-free environment'. I only seek people, who like myself, occassionally wish to speak about matters of substance and have the ability to do so.
    I at no point argued that the 'layman' as you put it would have the 'interlect' to converse on the subjects you mention. What I asserted was that the criteria you seek to apply make little sense. Would one less A* really prevent a person from moving beyond 'Cogito Ergo Sum'?

But my main point is if anything strengthened by your reply. You admit that you associate the ability to have conversations of a so-called intellectual nature with being gifted (as defined by your criteria). From this one can infer that you associate other interests and areas of conversation with the non-gifted, with the simpletons of whom you so quickly tire.

It is here that you err. The ability to engage in discussions of String Theory (something not synonymous with 4 As at A Level) does not equate to the desire to do so on a 24 hour basis. Indeed, I have met few people at Oxford of such a mindset. If this is so, then you will just as quickly tire of those you consider your intellectual equals as you do the 'masses' unless you can bring yourself to endure (hopefully enjoy) less intellectually-trying subjects of conversation and activities.

It can thus be seen that the approach you have taken in starting this thread is fundamentally flawed, not to mention rather rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oculist)
    I at no point argued that the 'layman' as you put it would have the 'interlect' to converse on the subjects you mention. What I asserted was that the criteria you seek to apply make little sense. Would one less A* really prevent a person from moving beyond 'Cogito Ergo Sum'?

But my main point is if anything strengthened by your reply. You admit that you associate the ability to have conversations of a so-called intellectual nature with being gifted (as defined by your criteria). From this one can infer that you associate other interests and areas of conversation with the non-gifted, with the simpletons of whom you so quickly tire.

It is here that you err. The ability to engage in discussions of String Theory (something not synonymous with 4 As at A Level) does not equate to the desire to do so on a 24 hour basis. Indeed, I have met few people at Oxford of such a mindset. If this is so, then you will just as quickly tire of those you consider your intellectual equals as you do the 'masses' unless you can bring yourself to endure (hopefully enjoy) less intellectually-trying subjects of conversation and activities.

It can thus be seen that the approach you have taken in starting this thread is fundamentally flawed, not to mention rather rude.
    I at no point suggested that I hold a desire to discuss interlectual matters 24 hours a day, these are your words, not mine. I do enjoy talking about nonsense, just not all the time. Hence, I sought people of a similar mindset for a refreshing change of topic.

This is however, a pointless digression from the purpose of this thread. I wanted to make friends, not enemies.

ReputationRep:
    So I am guessing the ability to play 3 instruments at a grade 8 level, speaking 4 different languages fluently and make my own amplifiers, does not make me gifted...seeing as I have gotten one B and 3 A's at AS level.

So, as stated above, you have an entry requirement for friendship?

Good luck in Oxford, I hope you fit in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDé)
    So I am guessing the ability to play 3 instruments at a grade 8 level, speaking 4 different languages fluently and make my own amplifiers, does not make me gifted...seeing as I have gotten one B and 3 A's at AS level.

So, as stated above, you have an entry requirement for friendship?

Good luck in Oxford, I hope you fit in...
    I would gladly speak with you if you wish. Please understand I only wish to talk to somebody I have things in common with. Is that so wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Choosing friends on the basis of something as arbitrary as exam results is like setting a weight requisite.

ReputationRep:
    You may speak with someone with a similar intellect as yourself, but it doesn't mean you have something in common with that someone...
    The someone may be a World of Warcraft geek, he/she could be a major druggie, he/she may be a chronic alcoholic...
    Doesn't mean you have something in common with these people.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have 4 A's at A Level but I'm fantastic at Pacman.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Please do not post on this thread unless you have an IQ of 150+ and at least 7 A*s at GCSE, 4 As at A level (40+ in IB)

I am looking for people of a comparable intellect to my own, especially people commencing study at Oxford in 2010. I would like to discuss our ambitions and aims for the future and whether you are excited, apprehensive or a bit of both about starting university. I want to make some new friends before going to university. I struggle to get along with those less talented than myself, I usually find 'ordinary' people to be quite tiresome and simple. This is nothing personal, please do not be offended, I simply wish to meet people similar to myself.

Thanks,
    I am really shocked by this. Seriously, my friends and I can have incredibly intellectual convesations and we don't go to Oxford..? I think I'm just shocked that one person can fit so much arrogance and offence into a single post - it must be that IQ of 150+

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have the 7A*s at (I)GCSE, am predicted 42 at IB, BUT (the horror) have never taken an official IQ test so I am afraid I can't post here.
    I'm going to go cry now.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God, please tell me that you are a total troll and are NOT joining me at Merton next year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sequin)
    Oh, I fail. A mere 6A*s. :rolleyes:
    Same as me...and my degree was only from UCL ah well.

(Original post by Salome2)
    Four?!

The Original
    The EXAMS ARE TOO EASY!
    The I Hate Everyone
    ???

St Andrews = :yep: Had I applied to any other unis in the UK, it would have definitely on my list. From what I've heard, it's an amazing school. And quite lovely too!
    I remember you!!!! We hated on you big time! Glad to hear you are doing better though ...T futility not you Salome2
    :P

I at no point suggested that I hold a desire to discuss interlectual matters 24 hours a day, these are your words, not mine. I do enjoy talking about nonsense, just not all the time. Hence, I sought people of a similar mindset for a refreshing change of topic.

This is however, a pointless digression from the purpose of this thread. I wanted to make friends, not enemies.
    I have to say your approach was quite misguided for a gifted individual. You surely must have expected this kind of response, especially if you are as competent socially as you are academically.

I may not fit your criteria but I am an intelligent person. It does offend regardless of your warning not to. If you wish for intelligent conversation over a matter of your interest try writing specific threads. You will attract the right attention that way, there will always be trolls but some of these are bloody intelligent!!

ReputationRep:
    Give the guy a break, maybe he's got autism or something

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone called this post as a blatent wind-up yet? Fine. I'm calling it a blatent wind up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Alewhey)
    Has anyone called this post as a blatent wind-up yet? Fine. I'm calling it a blatent wind up.
    :yes:

The best bit was the "subjects of substance" he's willing to discuss with people. "LOOK I'VE READ NEW SCIENTIST"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Give the guy a break, maybe he's got autism or something
    He strikes me as Adrian Moles son...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OK, this thread evidently isn't going anywhere, and if the OP actually was serious (:erm:) it's obviously not having the intended effect. I don't see much point in leaving it open just so everyone can give the same predictable replies which were already posted on page 1, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.