Turn on thread page Beta

Do Americans really find comedians such as Jay Leno funny? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was watching the Jay Leno show and it all comes across as one giant love-in, where Leno stands there with stilted delivery with an actual "ba-bum-bum-tsch" at the end of each joke. There is the random loud electro-crap music plaued at the end of every sentence or 'risque' thing he says.

This guy was the presenter of the top late night talk show in America for years, as well as commanding a truly huge salary and I just don't see why.

ReputationRep:
    American humour is very strange

ReputationRep:
    I just asked some Americans and a few Canadians.
    They don't apparently.
    I don't anyway but I'm not American.

ReputationRep:
    do some americans find him funny? yes

do all americans find him funny? no

do I? no

ReputationRep:
    Jay Leno is really, very dull. :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's funny though.

ReputationRep:
    Conan o'brien is way funnier...he does the self-deprecating humor really well. Jay leno...can't figure out why he's the top late night comedian.

ReputationRep:
    Conan > Jay Leno > Letterman

ReputationRep:
    there will always be an audience for the show just like there's always an audience for russell brand's stand up shows here, doesn't mean all brits find him funny and nothing else exists, and jay leno is just hosting his show, he doesn't need to be hilarious.

anyway, i prefer american comedy to british comedy. they've produced so many great shows, the fact that on our tv channels we see more of theirs than ours says something about our ****** programmes. basically, british humour in a nutshell - "ha ha ha that man is wearing a dress!" and crude jokes. nothing witty about it which is what you all claim our comedy is. in before monty python and other 'classics'. yeah, ministry of silly walks lol so randum xD. nothing has changed since then, except now it's more vulgar and even dumber.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't judge a country's sense of humor by the shows they air at 11:30 PM. A better indicator would be Scrubs, for instance, or the American verson of The Office, or some old Seinfeld episodes.

ReputationRep:
    Do all British people find Lenny Henry or Little Britain funny?

ReputationRep:
    I think people are missing the point...

I am not saying every American, I am not saying it is the 'American sense of humour' and he is the top presenter/comedian so comparing him to Lenny Henry or Little Britain is just idiotic, Jonathon Ross would of been a better starting point.

As the top one a fair amount of Americans must enjoy watching him so I would of thought people on here were clever enough to reason that out without me having to put 'a significan portion, but not all Americans....'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.