Turn on thread page Beta

I want to become a pre University level Physics tutor watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year of my Computer Science and Physics degree and I'm interested in tutoring physics when i'm not studying for exams (I think the period before the secondary school summer exams would be ideal).
    I mainly want to do this (aside from the cash) as a means to keep myself refreshed with elementary physics.

Does anyone else do something similar to this? Any advice or stories would be great.

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Find your local internet forum and put an ad in.

Good cheap free way to get your name out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanx)
    I'm in my second year of my Computer Science and Physics degree and I'm interested in tutoring physics when i'm not studying for exams (I think the period before the secondary school summer exams would be ideal).
    I mainly want to do this (aside from the cash) as a means to keep myself refreshed with elementary physics.

Does anyone else do something similar to this? Any advice or stories would be great.

Thanks guys
    yh I did that , put an add in gumtree , got people calling me in no time ...

ReputationRep:
    I do this but the agency I am with only accepts graduates and I think most of the parents who'd be organising tuition for their children wouldn't be that keen on having somebody who has only just come through their A levels/GCSE's and doesn't have atleast the next qualification on the ladder (i.e. a degree).

I know this sounds very negative and is a generalised statement about all undergraduates even they might well be good enough for the job but when you're forking out £25 - £30 per hour on physics tuition, knowing that the person actually has a degree and has been studying the subject for a considerable number of years at a much higher level is a big part of the deal.

If you did do this though, it is illegal to even offer tuition to anybody under 18 without having an enhanced CRB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by div curl F = 0)
    If you did do this though, it is illegal to even offer tuition to anybody under 18 without having an enhanced CRB.
    *gulp*even if the person offering it is 18?

and wow you did M6 :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    *gulp*even if the person offering it is 18?

and wow you did M6

Yep, its because the person receiving the tuition is classed as a minor and to work with minors you need to have your criminal record checked to make sure you're a fit person to be doing this type of work.

Yeah I did M6 and if truth be told I didn't do any of the work for it because I just didn't have the time with doing all the other modules/courses so I was very happy with that particular result.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did M6 and if truth be told I didn't do any of the work for it because I just didn't have the time with doing all the other modules/courses so I was very happy with that particular result.
    sorry for my stupid questions , did you get a heardstart at uni (for physics)?? because in m4 I heard that it covered basic relativity and stuff..Im only on m3 ..

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I didn't realise it would actually be illegal. Guess I'll just have to finish my degree then. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    sorry for my stupid questions , did you get a heardstart at uni (for physics)?? because in m4 I heard that it covered basic relativity and stuff..Im only on m3 ..
    I did get a good headstart at Uni physics and the foundations I made at A level basically carried me all the way through university, this is why I rant on so much about needing good maths skills at uni because it really is a massive advantage. With good maths skills you don't necessarily have to understand all the physics to be able to answer questions on it because the equations associated with that area of physics will have most of the information encoded within them having good maths skills will allow you to pick out this info a bit more easily.

My M4 course was a module entirely on solving differential equations by various methods. I don't remember doing any dedicated topics on special relativity in my maths A level but I do remember the odd question on the Lorentz and Poincare groups in P6 and Gallilean relativity in M5/M6. Even doing M3 will make a big difference considering I've recently been giving tutorials to 1st year undergraduates who didn't cover a mechanics module in their A level maths (they probably did C1-4 and S1-2), especially since M3 starts to use integration a lot more than the previous modules, which is basically how mechanics/dynamics changes for most people in their first semester (that is going from doing things like setting up and solving F = ma by looking at constant forces to using variable forces and solving the differential equations that appear).

(Original post by Phalanx)
    Wow, I didn't realise it would actually be illegal. Guess I'll just have to finish my degree then. Thanks

I think you may have misunderstood what I wrote; You need an enhanced CRB check to give tuition to under 18's in their or your home. But you can get one of these checks done for about £40 and you'll then have a certificate which you can present to all those who may need to see it (parents etc) and you're all above board then. Having a degree is not a legal part of giving tuition but most parents would require this; if you can find people who want tuition and aren't too bothered about degrees then I'd take them up on it or you could either drop your price to maybe £15 - 20 per hour to compensate for not having finished your degree yet and when you do qualify, ramp the price up to the going rate.

ReputationRep:
    I did get a good headstart at Uni physics and the foundations I made at A level basically carried me all the way through university, this is why I rant on so much about needing good maths skills at uni because it really is a massive advantage. With good maths skills you don't necessarily have to understand all the physics to be able to answer questions on it because the equations associated with that area of physics will have most of the information encoded within them having good maths skills will allow you to pick out this info a bit more easily.

My M4 course was a module entirely on solving differential equations by various methods. I don't remember doing any dedicated topics on special relativity in my maths A level but I do remember the odd question on the Lorentz and Poincare groups in P6 and Gallilean relativity in M5/M6. Even doing M3 will make a big difference considering I've recently been giving tutorials to 1st year undergraduates who didn't cover a mechanics module in their A level maths (they probably did C1-4 and S1-2), especially since M3 starts to use integration a lot more than the previous modules, which is basically how mechanics/dynamics changes for most people in their first semester (that is going from doing things like setting up and solving F = ma by looking at constant forces to using variable forces and solving the differential equations that appear).
    wow thanks , looks I shoud have taken M4 or something instead of stupid D1 ..thanks for the advice/info

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.