Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to come across as up myself or whatever but i've been really surprised with how easy i've found my degree work wise. I'm now in my third year doing English and i've never really enjoyed it, thus i've never put much effort into it.
    I know that i'm only doing myself out of an education by not reading more etc but has anyone else found that they are literally doing the bare minimum and yet still doing alright?

In a way I wish i'd failed as i've always been proud to work hard and do well, and now i'm just doing well. I'm surprised to find that English actually is the doss subject people tend to joke about.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? You just called your own subject "doss"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Of the Standard of Taste)
    Are you serious? You just called your own subject "doss"?
    yup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    yup.
    Right right.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

What are you plans now then?

ReputationRep:
    Right right.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

What are you plans now then?
    Finish my degree. I've got an interview for a graduate training programme coming up and I'm hoping to have a gap year. I'm grateful that my degree will hopefully come in useful at some point along the time, it just occurred to me that this is my scary third year, and i'm still bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    Finish my degree. I've got an interview for a graduate training programme coming up and I'm hoping to have a gap year. I'm grateful that my degree will hopefully come in useful at some point along the time, it just occurred to me that this is my scary third year, and i'm still bored.
    Oh right that's good.

Are you wanting to do the graduate training programme? That sounds like a good pathway.

What's boring you? The course or life in general?

ReputationRep:
    What marks you get?

I'm a first year law student, and I've got exams in 2 weeks. I've got to submit 4 3000 word essays, and learn 200 cases, and rules of law, plus the UK constitution and EU constitution. I haven't stopped work since October - been clubbing 5 times. People I know have allready dropped out and alot will have to re-sit the year. At least 40 hours a week for the last 14 or so weeks! I don't get how you get by on no work - I'm guessing the degree's prettty useless then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mj2010x)
    What marks you get?

I'm a first year law student, and I've got exams in 2 weeks. I've got to submit 4 3000 word essays, and learn 200 cases, and rules of law, plus the UK constitution and EU constitution. I haven't stopped work since October - been clubbing 5 times. People I know have allready dropped out and alot will have to re-sit the year. At least 40 hours a week for the last 14 or so weeks! I don't get how you get by on no work - I'm guessing the degree's prettty useless then.
    I've been getting a fairly decent 2.1 for the past 3 years so i'm expecting to get a 2.1 overall. So by no means am I some kind of unchallenged genius complaining about not being stretched enough, just a fairly lazy student wondering why i haven't failed yet.

I think the degree is useless but not worthless. The knowledge i've got won't get me very far in life but having the piece of paper will hopefully come in handy.

As for my work load, so far i've done 1 3000 word essay, one exam, one 12 page screenplay and 1 1200 word essay. Since september.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right that's good.

Are you wanting to do the graduate training programme? That sounds like a good pathway.

What's boring you? The course or life in general?
    Up until recently it was life in general, mainly because i wasn't enjoying uni but didn't have much of a life outside of it. Now I pretty much don't see myself as a student and am enjoying life much more.

Hmm. Would you say it had something to do with Exeter uni? If you went to Oxbridge do you think you'd have enjoyed your course more?
    Irregardless, you've got the rest of your life ahead of you. Just enjoy, don't dwell. (I know it's hard).

ReputationRep:
    What marks you get?

Warning, I have a real dislike for law students, nothing personal.

Sorry to point this out, but that says more about the law degree than the English degree. The work you do for a law degree is disproportionate to the benefit gained, I'd rather be getting a 1st in English than slogging my ass off for a 2:1 in law. Especially when you consider that a 1st in English with a law conversion is probably better placed to pursue a career in the law.

To OP : Uni is half about the experience, so what if you're finding it easy!? Don't complain! Exeter's English department is really good so getting a 2:1 is no easy feat. Just remember that the degree is more important than the subject these days (with exceptions E.G. medicine, obviously).

ReputationRep:
    Well done then , though if I was in your position I would've probably quit and tried to go for oxbridge or something higher up then , then again getting a 1st will be easy for ya so well done again.

ReputationRep:
    If that's the case, you're an idiot for not working a bit harder and getting a first.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Civil Engineering, and am already finding it at least challenging having gone through a semester, and am doing my semester 1 exams right now. The maths is especially difficult, since they've thrown so many standard integrals, derivatives and trigonometric identities without teaching us the derivations, which we're going to spend part of semester 2 doing.

ReputationRep:
    I found my degree really, really easy which is one of the reasons why I dropped out. I was bored out of my mind and didn't feel like I was learning anything. I was really disapointed with it so didn't see the point in continuing it.

ReputationRep:
    Though I'm not yet doing a degree, I find A-Level English not too challenging, but that doesn't mean I've let myself get complacent and stopped doing the best I can do. I'm sure you'd feel your degree was more worthwhile if you stopped coasting, see how far you can go and felt like you'd really achieved something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    Warning, I have a real dislike for law students, nothing personal.

Sorry to point this out, but that says more about the law degree than the English degree. The work you do for a law degree is disproportionate to the benefit gained, I'd rather be getting a 1st in English than slogging my ass off for a 2:1 in law. Especially when you consider that a 1st in English with a law conversion is probably better placed to pursue a career in the law.
    It's not that hard to get a 2.i, I know a lot of people will get that easily- it is hard to get firsts however - less people get firsts in law than any other subject. Disproportionate? I wouldn't say so - graduate entry after 2 years is often at 65k. The GDL is intensive, expensive, and incomprehensive - when compaired to the LLB.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much work I put in which in turn is condusive to my understanding and visa versa. If you're there listening, it's pretty hard NOT to understand. Its just if you come to do a piece of coursework say, which you've never been to any lectures or tutorials about then its not as simple as just bust through a few guide and your fine, theres simply too much material for it to be possible to just do that and come out with a decent degree.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that hard to get a 2.i, I know a lot of people will get that easily- it is hard to get firsts however - less people get firsts in law than any other subject. Disproportionate? I wouldn't say so - graduate entry after 2 years is often at 65k. The GDL is intensive, expensive, and incomprehensive - when compaired to the LLB.
    What uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad m05)
    What uni are you at?
    Lse

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.