Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello Im from Paraguay, and I have applied to HKU and HKUST for Industrial Engineering, I would really love to hear from anyone else applying to HKU or HKUST

ReputationRep:
    hi..
    i am from england..i applied to hkust too..
    I didnt apply to HKU because they don't allow you to chose the branch of engineering right away..
    when did u apply to ust???

ReputationRep:
    HKU here, for the BA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy786)
    hi..
    i am from england..i applied to hkust too..
    I didnt apply to HKU because they don't allow you to chose the branch of engineering right away..
    when did u apply to ust???
    o cool, ive applied to HKUST last november n i oready got conditional offer for Industrial Engineering, n i also applied for HKU, but havent got an offer yet. which branch of engineering r u gonna do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midastouch852)
    HKU here, for the BA
    O hi, where r u from?? where else did u apply for??

ReputationRep:
    oh cool.
    i applied in late dec at ust..
    no news yet.. do they confirm is they received the supporting docs??
    are you doing the IB syllabus??
    i applied for chem engineering

ReputationRep:
    oh cool.
    i applied in late dec at ust..
    no news yet.. do they confirm is they received the supporting docs??
    are you doing the IB syllabus??
    i applied for chem engineering
    They didnt send me anything until i sent an email to confirm, they replied "Yes, We have received your documents." and tats all, they dun hav the acknowledgement thing.
    I do Alevel in an international school in China, hav u applied to universities in anywhere else??

ReputationRep:
    oh cool...i have offers from Imperial college and UCL.both in england..
    did you have a phone interview??
    and whats your offer from ust?? is AAA for the full scholarship??
    are you looking at uni in england??

ReputationRep:
    oh cool...i have offers from Imperial college and UCL.both in england..
    did you have a phone interview??
    and whats your offer from ust?? is AAA for the full scholarship??
    are you looking at uni in england??
    Hey I applied for UST last year and to UK universities and I am going to go to a UK one.

I am interested are you going to choose UST or Imperial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ysbera)
    Hey I applied for UST last year and to UK universities and I am going to go to a UK one.

I am interested are you going to choose UST or Imperial?
    Hi ysbera..
    imperial is by far the better university..
    but its very expensive..UST is pretty cheap compared to ucl and icl...
    i am still undecided as i havent heard from ust yet??
    where are you planning to go??

ReputationRep:
    imperial grads are widely sought after, esp those in engineering. it's like a gold medal uni. ucl is also reputable, but a number of foreigners haven't heard of it. it's cheaper than imperial though. however the students at hkust are very competitive, as it's harder for locals to gain entrance compared to internationals. so if you go to hkust you will study with very smart people in a less reputable uni. however you might get a scholarship at hkust considering that you have an offer from imperial college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fyodor Bingoffsky)
    imperial grads are widely sought after, esp those in engineering. it's like a gold medal uni. ucl is also reputable, but a number of foreigners haven't heard of it. it's cheaper than imperial though. however the students at hkust are very competitive, as it's harder for locals to gain entrance compared to internationals. so if you go to hkust you will study with very smart people in a less reputable uni. however you might get a scholarship at hkust considering that you have an offer from imperial college.
    UCL is ranked higher than imperial in the general rankings but you are right,imperial is by far a better technical university..
    UCL is really good for arts and economics...We often joke about UCL being a Chinese university..its pretty popular also
    are you from hong kong??
    my grades are AAB and an A in AS further math....chance me for ust and hku??

ReputationRep:
    Hi ysbera..
    imperial is by far the better university..
    but its very expensive..UST is pretty cheap compared to ucl and icl...
    i am still undecided as i havent heard from ust yet??
    where are you planning to go??
    Hm I mean I applied in last years cycle. I am going to Cambridge. I was in a similar situation last year so I am interested what you chose.

ReputationRep:
    UCL is ranked higher than imperial in the general rankings but you are right,imperial is by far a better technical university..
    UCL is really good for arts and economics...We often joke about UCL being a Chinese university..its pretty popular also
    are you from hong kong??
    my grades are AAB and an A in AS further math....chance me for ust and hku??
    imperial still has a better reputation than ucl. i'm curious to know, if UCL is a humanities university, i would have thought that the Chinese would prefer a more science based university. No, I'm actually from Malaysia, but of ethnic Chinese origin. I'm not sure about your chances. are you from hong kong? they're more lenient to internationals, but strict to local applicants. the good news is my friend who applied for engineering at imperial (physics, chem, math and economics) was given an offer of A*AA. UCL asked for AAA. I hope this helps you.

ReputationRep:
    imperial still has a better reputation than ucl. i'm curious to know, if UCL is a humanities university, i would have thought that the Chinese would prefer a more science based university. No, I'm actually from Malaysia, but of ethnic Chinese origin. I'm not sure about your chances. are you from hong kong? they're more lenient to internationals, but strict to local applicants. the good news is my friend who applied for engineering at imperial (physics, chem, math and economics) was given an offer of A*AA. UCL asked for AAA. I hope this helps you.
    i am actually a Londoner..
    i have offers from Imperial and Ucl....We have to go through interviews,so if they like you,they give you a lower offer..i have deferred my offers from last year hence none of this A* ****..
    As a Londoner i would say that both unis are excellent..
    Imperial is better for Engineering but UCL is by no means average..
    UCl is very old and prestigious and you will find a lot of chinese people.(that's with most London unis)..
    ur frnd is on the right track,you cant go wrong by choosing either of them..
    where are you joining??

ReputationRep:
    i am actually a Londoner..
    i have offers from Imperial and Ucl....We have to go through interviews,so if they like you,they give you a lower offer..i have deferred my offers from last year hence none of this A* ****..
    As a Londoner i would say that both unis are excellent..
    Imperial is better for Engineering but UCL is by no means average..
    UCl is very old and prestigious and you will find a lot of chinese people.(that's with most London unis)..
    ur frnd is on the right track,you cant go wrong by choosing either of them..
    where are you joining??
    Congrats. We internationals don't get interviews except for medicine. My friend is unsure whether to choose UCL or bristol as her insurance. She prefers ucl but bristol is ranked higher for engineering and they offer industrial placements (she's a dedicated student). what's your advice? :confused: I will be joining Imperial to read biochemistry if I fulfil my conditions. Good luck in your eventual choice

ReputationRep:
    Congrats. We internationals don't get interviews except for medicine. My friend is unsure whether to choose UCL or bristol as her insurance. She prefers ucl but bristol is ranked higher for engineering and they offer industrial placements (she's a dedicated student). what's your advice? :confused: I will be joining Imperial to read biochemistry if I fulfil my conditions. Good luck in your eventual choice
    Well both UCL and Bristol are top notch..Since she is an international student,i would say UCL would be better..London is a very diverse and cosmopolitan city,settling in wont be a problem..I wouldn't stress about the industrial placements..It will work itself out in the 3 or 4 th yr...

congrats on your offer from Imperial..you will have a great time there!!!

ReputationRep:
    ive got offers from ICL, Bristol, Southampton n loughoborough for engieering, but im still gonna go Hongkong, since it is way cheaper to study and live in Hongkong.
    I did a phone interview for HKUST on December, n i got a conditional offer of BB for admision and AA for full scholarship.
    n I also did an admission interview for HKU on January, but still havnt heard anything from them yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonyhan)
    ive got offers from ICL, Bristol, Southampton n loughoborough for engieering, but im still gonna go Hongkong, since it is way cheaper to study and live in Hongkong.
    I did a phone interview for HKUST on December, n i got a conditional offer of BB for admision and AA for full scholarship.
    n I also did an admission interview for HKU on January, but still havnt heard anything from them yet.
    Oh ya i know Cambridge A levels..We had a different board though..
    anyway i will keep in touch with you.
    UST is definitely one of my top choices but i still haven't heard back from them..
    I hope i hear back soon..
    cheers!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonyhan)
    hey guys
    Just got an email saying that i have been offered admission to hkust for my first choice chemical engineering (fall 2010)
    i need to deposit 10000hkd before 19 feb to confirm my place..
    I might deposit the money anyway but still not sure about going there
    haven't been offered any kind of aid..a bit disappointed with that
    any advice would be greatly appreciated..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.