Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered a place (conditionally) for the Diploma in Economics at Warwick.

First, thanks for all the help on this forum, especially Paul, I think your currently doing a Phd at Warwick!

Secondly, I have a question - Warwick just needs you to fill up a form to accept the offer. There is no fee to be paid etc. I understand that places at these universities run out pretty fast so I wanted to know if I accept the offer can I not take it later?

I have applied to LSE and Cambridge as well so if I get in there, I would choose those.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ntkris)
    I've been offered a place (conditionally) for the Diploma in Economics at Warwick.

First, thanks for all the help on this forum, especially Paul, I think your currently doing a Phd at Warwick!

Secondly, I have a question - Warwick just needs you to fill up a form to accept the offer. There is no fee to be paid etc. I understand that places at these universities run out pretty fast so I wanted to know if I accept the offer can I not take it later?

I have applied to LSE and Cambridge as well so if I get in there, I would choose those.
    Yes, you can accept the offer now and then turn it down at a later stage - although obviously it would only be fair to do so as soon as you've reached a decision, so Warwick will have a chance to give the place to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Are we sure there no penalty/forfeit charge for accepting then later pulling out? Im asking as this is likely to affect me too soon. I cant see that these second rung unis have no way of avoiding that situation, it must be so inconvenient for them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Wawee)
    Are we sure there no penalty/forfeit charge for accepting then later pulling out? Im asking as this is likely to affect me too soon.
    Unless they asked you to pay a deposit when accepting the offer, how could they possibly make you pay when you pull out?:confused:
    I cant see that these second rung unis have no way of avoiding that situation, it must be so inconvenient for them.
    It's a fairly safe guess that this will affect ALL universities, not just 'second rung' ones. Obviously it's inconvenient, and obviously they'll prefer people to tell them early if they're not planning to take up their offers, but there's nothing they can do about it, really. They can't really force people to take up their offers by dragging them there kicking and screaming, can they? I don't think punishing people who are late to reject their offers is very high on universities' agendas, to be honest. The main purpose of deposits is probably just to try and get those people who do want to accept their offers to make a quick (and hopefully final) decision which they'll feel committed to, and to reduce the number of people who just use it as their safety offer while they're waiting for their preferred choices to get back to them.

ReputationRep:
    As hobnob has pointed out universities have contingencies in place so I would not worry about pulling out; do you think, for example, that everyone given an offer meets the admission conditions; granted, for some universities this will not be that much of a problem but still? More appropriately, perhaps, considering research councils' funding does not get allocated until later in the year, and you cannot apply for a career development loan until a few months before the course begins there is no option but to accept offers as soon as you get them - in most cases.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.