Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A halogenoalkane, bromomethane, CH3Br, is a toxic gas used to protect plants against insects.

Health and Safety advice states that concentrations above 5 parts per million (ppm) by volume of this gas are harmful.

A research laboratory contains 2.5 × 105 dm3 of air. Calculate the maximum volume of bromomethane, in dm3, allowed in the laboratory to comply with the advice given.

How do you answer this question? i really need your help!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser12345)
    A halogenoalkane, bromomethane, CH3Br, is a toxic gas used to protect plants against insects.

Health and Safety advice states that concentrations above 5 parts per million (ppm) by volume of this gas are harmful.

A research laboratory contains 2.5 × 105 dm3 of air. Calculate the maximum volume of bromomethane, in dm3, allowed in the laboratory to comply with the advice given.

How do you answer this question? i really need your help!

Thnaks.
    Say you had a million dm^3 of air in the lab. The maximum permissible volume would be 5dm^3. Can you scale down from there?

ReputationRep:
    well ppm is usually the percentage x 10000, as the percentage is out of 100 and 100 x 10000 gives 1000000 (a million) so if you work backwards you are given the ppm of 5 therefore 5/10000 = 0.0005% is the amount and you have the amount of air in the room so its just 0.0005% of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teeth1234)
    well ppm is usually the percentage x 10000, as the percentage is out of 100 and 100 x 10000 gives 1000000 (a million) so if you work backwards you are given the ppm of 5 therefore 5/10000 = 0.0005% is the amount and you have the amount of air in the room so its just 0.0005% of that
    Thanks for the help! I think i get it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teeth1234)
    That's a better way than the way I do it, ignore me :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    That's a better way than the way I do it, ignore me :p:
    lol, i think it still gives the same answer i was taught the way you said but found it too long so thought of this way my chem teacher doesnt like it tho for some reason and insists on teaching the other way haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser12345)
    Thanks for the help! I think i get it now.

are u sitting salters unit 2 again today?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.