Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There is something about me that immediately provokes abhorrence. Almost everybody I meet hates me, even people I don't know on the internet take an almost immediate dislike to me. I do come across as quite arrogant sometimes. But my heart is in the right place, why do people not see that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    There is something about me that immediately provokes abhorrence. Almost everybody I meet hates me, even people I don't know on the internet take an almost immediate dislike to me. I do come across as quite arrogant sometimes. But my heart is in the right place, why do people not see that?
    I don't hate you

Well, people on TSR won't tell you this because they hardly know you... but maybe it's all in your head? It's quite weird that someone hates just becuase you sound arrogant and it's even more weird that people on the internet dislike you although they know nothing about you.... :eek3:

Stop coming across as arrogant then. No-one likes a smart arse.

People dont care how nice you are underneath. If you act like a **** outwardly, they'll treat you like one. Regardless of whether your 'hearts in the right place'

ReputationRep:
    People don't immediately see what's on the inside, they see what you show them on the outside.

I have a feeling hate is a strong word in this instance, and it'd be interesting to see an example of this "hatred". It's possible that you're perceiving the behaviour of others wrongly.

However, next time you're in a position like this, you could try thinking about it methodologically: Does he/she really hate me? Have I given him/her any reason to do so? and etc.

ReputationRep:
    find 'Becky Pearson' on facebook of Epsom College, she is also hated and maybe one day, in the near future you could learn to like each other. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe its because of your opinion that you are better than the people who surround you. Judging by your other post that I read, you do come across as very arrogant. You are the only one who can change that. Accept that just because you got into Oxford and just because you may have a higher IQ than others, it doesn't mean that you won't have anything in common with people who aren't as intelligent as you. You need to bring yourself down a few levels. I come from an upper class background but have never had a problem with talking to and being friends with someone who comes from a different class. In fact, in my last serious relationship, the guy lived in a council house and had dropped out of school at 15. He was one of the loveliest people I have ever met. Class doesn't have to define who you are - so don't keep letting it!
    I'm sure you are a lovely person but for people to see that you can't be as judgemental as you currently are.

ReputationRep:
    Its probably a mixture of things, partially that your mind encourages you to dwell on the negative expiriences which leads to such a strong feeling that others hate you, which in turn can sub-consciously lead to maybe frosty or slightly erratic behaviour on your part because you feel aware of their feelings towards you (though they are most likely not as severe as you percieve) - leading to them acting more distant/seperate/distastful because they don't understand your behaviour.

You, most likely, are more aware of your emotions and thought processes than perhaps your aquaintances are, so where you might feel that they will or do hold on to a feeling of hate against you, perhaps its not the same hate your thinking of... they might not feel it all the time whilst you see it all the time etc. This could sound bad but seriously don't overestimate the feelings of hate others have towards you, they probably arent so mentally connected with the sensation that its not easily forgetable/changable.

And feeling people hate you on meeting you, this could be partially down to any reputation you might have and partially how you appear.
    Perhaps don't assert your true thoughts too forwardly when you talk to people. If you're the person to feel some conversations are a little mundane, resist the temptation to go straight in with a more interesting perspective. Then, if you first come across as normal, perhaps even revealing your feelings (heart), any later comments which appear snobbish (head) will be associated to the personal and partly normal you they met. Building up the impression of you not only as normal, with feelings, but also a quirky manner and perhaps a good mind for knowledge/argueing cases

Still, I'm common so what can I say! Snobbery in me is generally over laziness and peoples inability to make good use of their minds lol

ReputationRep:
    Well, I get on with and like almost everyone. But I can't stand arrogant people, it's such an ugly characteristic. Take a look around.

ReputationRep:
    Chucklefiend, after reading all five pages of your previous thread, I have lost the minute bit of respect that I had left for you. I still stand by what I said, however I would like to remove the last line of my previous post.

ReputationRep:
    negative-minded i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubergeek1991)
    Chucklefiend, after reading all five pages of your previous thread, I have lost the minute bit of respect that I had left for you. I still stand by what I said, however I would like to remove the last line of my previous post.
    Me too...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post23212667

LMAO :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Me too...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post23212667

LMAO :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Blatant troll.

ReputationRep:
    i hate you because you used the word abhorrance and i dont know what that means

ReputationRep:

This is just so damn cute.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to write a reply but don't want to be fooled by another troll... hmmm

ReputationRep:
    abhorrance is basically hate and disgust mixed together!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because you were so very arrogant in your last thread?
    Are you sure you trust the advice of those without immaculate academics??

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're lucky aren't you.

Join the other 99% of the population who also have our hearts in the correct position.

I don't particularly like you.

ReputationRep:
    I hate you. But then again, I hate anyone who puts their academic stats in their sig.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.