The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS ... is it just me or is it easy ?

Hey guys ! I just finished studying Physics for AS and Bio as well , edexcel new spec. Self study , no school , using both edexcel books ( The pearson one and the Hodder one ) for all my subjects ( phy , bio , chem ) and i did all the questions , and tests of the books , and i felt like it was quite easy ... ( unlike when i was in school where it was greek to me ... )

Are the books really to the exam spec ? Because my aunt who did her A level years ago told me that she had a tough time with her a levels at that time. please reply ! :biggrin: thanks
It's just you
Reply 2
Self teaching.... Wish I did that.
Reply 3
TWF
Self teaching.... Wish I did that.

Well maybe thats why i find it easy lol. Weird ... ill try to have a mock test with a friend and see if i can score big ... if i do then its easy ( and its just me then ... ) if not then ... my books are **** xD !
Maybe you just thought it was easy but got lots wrong :dontknow:
Reply 5
You probably should be doing this thread in august after you have got your results.
wait and see what you get in your exams before you decide that its easy.

You might be right but you might just be misunderstanding lots
Reply 7
well thats what i wanted to know ... maybe i missunderstood it ... thats why i asked ... it felt weird ... i mean it felt easier than the old spec ... but why i said its feels easy is because in my previous school i was totally lost in physics , we had this really old teacher , and i think he was teaching us the old spec ... i read the books ( since im homeschooling ) and it actually feels a lot easier than what that old man was teaching us ... Obviously people you have misunderstood me ( and i guess its my fault ) but when i meant easy , i forgot to mention easier than the old spec ... :biggrin:. But im not like reading the book and shouting oh its easy , i did the questions and unit 1 test on the Hodder book and i got right on the questions ( on the test i got 67 marks ) , i have to admit though that chemistry seems harder than physics xD ! My point at the end was to know if its normal that the NEW SPEC is Easier than the old one , or will get harder year by year ? thanks guys.
Reply 8
social retard?
Reply 9
theking13
Hey guys ! I just finished studying Physics for AS and Bio as well , edexcel new spec. Self study , no school , using both edexcel books ( The pearson one and the Hodder one ) for all my subjects ( phy , bio , chem ) and i did all the questions , and tests of the books , and i felt like it was quite easy ... ( unlike when i was in school where it was greek to me ... )

Are the books really to the exam spec ? Because my aunt who did her A level years ago told me that she had a tough time with her a levels at that time. please reply ! :biggrin: thanks

I reckon it's cos you're self teaching. I haven't done the new spec, but I found chemistry to be extremely difficult during my a levels. Since I was on a C at AS and needed an A at A2 i pretty much stopped paying attention in lessons ( actually i carried on not paying attention :biggrin:) and taught myself the syllabus. I got the grade in the end too, and it all seemed so much easier.
Reply 10
It's not too bad tbh. But the exams for Edexcel Chemistry really push the contents of the specification to the limits.
Reply 11
saab_101
I reckon it's cos you're self teaching. I haven't done the new spec, but I found chemistry to be extremely difficult during my a levels. Since I was on a C at AS and needed an A at A2 i pretty much stopped paying attention in lessons ( actually i carried on not paying attention :biggrin:) and taught myself the syllabus. I got the grade in the end too, and it all seemed so much easier.

hey thats awsome ! I did teach myself IGCSE's last year and got 3 A * and 5 A's :biggrin: ! my school teachers sucks ... thats why i left school also ...

I hope the new specs chemistry exam is easier than yours haha :biggrin:
Reply 12
theking13

Did you mark your papers after doing them? If you did and scored a pretty good percentage then you probably do find it easy. What do you think a "good percentage" is though? I am sure the books are according to the exam specification, if not then why would you sit an edexcel exam?

All the best when the results come out ^^
Reply 13
I totally see where your coming from, and no its not jusr you!. Your probs quite clever anyway, but I do agree that teachers tend to way over complicate things!!! Like I always find myself completely lost during the year, and then when i bother to pick up a book before exams, I realise that actually its really not that bad!! I feel like teachers just have to fill up time, coz come on, it doesnt take a whole year to go through 1 textbook (refering to sciences etc), so they probs have to add in other irrelevant stuff that just confuses people...at least my teachers do!
And I think self teaching probs also helps...coz many people just rely on teachers/ tutors, and never actually bother themselves. The best way to learn is deff by sitting and struggling until youve made sense of the material for yourself!
Although, I wouldnt say the exams are easy...i mean many people dont do well. But if your decently clever, and put in the effort, then ye, youll do well!
Reply 14
emmalive
I totally see where your coming from, and no its not jusr you!. Your probs quite clever anyway, but I do agree that teachers tend to way over complicate things!!! Like I always find myself completely lost during the year, and then when i bother to pick up a book before exams, I realise that actually its really not that bad!! I feel like teachers just have to fill up time, coz come on, it doesnt take a whole year to go through 1 textbook (refering to sciences etc), so they probs have to add in other irrelevant stuff that just confuses people...at least my teachers do!
And I think self teaching probs also helps...coz many people just rely on teachers/ tutors, and never actually bother themselves. The best way to learn is deff by sitting and struggling until youve made sense of the material for yourself!
Although, I wouldnt say the exams are easy...i mean many people dont do well. But if your decently clever, and put in the effort, then ye, youll do well!

exactly what i did , i struggled to understand some stuff in physics but at the end i made it. Im on my second run now ( re-studying ) and then im going to attack the past papers :biggrin:. Thanks for replying :biggrin: !
Reply 15
people who say that usually flop

Latest