Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend read my diary watch

my boyfriend just confessed to reading my diary a couple of months ago. At first I was just really embarrassed but, now i'm a quite angry with with him as to find it in the first place he had to rumage through my stuff. I don't really know what to do. He feels really bad about it.
    Do you think its reasonable that i'm angry with him?

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think it's reasonable to be angry with him. You shouldn't give a crap about the whole situation. He needs to know all your dirty secrets and how often you shave your cunny.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly reasonable to be angry, is a breach of trust, he knows it too or wouldn't have confessed to try to alleviate his guilt.

However: all you can really do is forgive him if you want to stay with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my boyfriend just confessed to reading my diary a couple of months ago. At first I was just really embarrassed but, now i'm a quite angry with with him as to find it in the first place he had to rumage through my stuff. I don't really know what to do. He feels really bad about it.

How bad was it? Details please!

ReputationRep:
    That's a deal breaker IMO, total breach of your personal privacy.

You're well within your rights to be pissed! But he seems to know what hes done, learn from it and move on!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, it was a couple of months ago? Just get over it.

ReputationRep:
    You have every right to be angry, but how temping would it be to read your partners diary!

ReputationRep:
    I'm wary of keeping paper diaries for exactly this reason.

I think aslong as you didn't write anything bad about him or anything I don't see the problem... Breach of trust maybe, but not something to get annoyed about months after the event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveWood)
    You have every right to be angry, but how temping would it be to read your partners diary!
    Probably best not to really, god knows what you'd find..

I keep a small journal to jot down notes on what I'm thinking (and draw pictures) and my gf reads it now and then, though tbf I hardly hide it. I'm indifferent, but obviously this is abit different.

I think it warrants a talking to. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    If you had written anything you didn't want him to read then you have bigger problems than him reading it. With my last relationship i felt like I could tell my girl everything. I'd be worried why my partner wanted to write a diary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    No, I don't think it's reasonable to be angry with him. You shouldn't give a crap about the whole situation. He needs to know all your dirty secrets and how often you shave your cunny.
    :lolwut:

That was hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    Your bieng unreasonable should have hid it better, he probably couldn't resist spur of the moment thing.

ReputationRep:
    Completely reasonable to be angry and embarrassed but he had the guts to confess to you, which he didn't have to. So long as he realises what he did was wrong then you might as well forgive him - explain why you're upset and then move on.

yeah i'm not really angry as such just not too sure what he was doing searching through the back of my cupboards, seems a bit creepy. There was nothing about him in there it was old stuff about my previous boyfriend etc. which has made him act a bit wierd with me at times.
    i do love him it just feels a bit uncomfortable him now knowning all this cringy stuff i've written in the past, though there wasn't really anything major he didn't already know about in there.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'm not really angry as such just not too sure what he was doing searching through the back of my cupboards, seems a bit creepy. There was nothing about him in there it was old stuff about my previous boyfriend etc. which has made him act a bit wierd with me at times.
    i do love him it just feels a bit uncomfortable him now knowning all this cringy stuff i've written in the past, though there wasn't really anything major he didn't already know about in there.
    Stop being a tit then.

It's really no big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nidhogg_Rider)
    Stop being a tit then.

It's really no big deal.
    I'd say it was actually. It's a breach of her privacy and he didn't even ask. It's equal to going through someone's phone and reading their texts. Snoops lose loads of respect, in my book.
    I know on the flipside people could argue that it's only a guilty conscience that wants to keep secrets. But if diary reading is valid then where does it end?
    It doesn't make her a "tit" for being confused about her feelings.

OP I'd just be grateful that he did have the balls to admit it to you (sooner or later ) Just make it clear that you're not alright with him going through your stuff and leave it be - it's in the past now anyway

ReputationRep:
    If there wasn't anything major written in there he didn't know about then what really is the problem? Sure, he read your diary, I could understand if you were a tad annoyed, but you admit you're not. He was searching through your cupboards, ok perhaps curiousity got the better of him. If it bothers you this much talk to him and tell him you don't want him looking through your cupboards as it's rude.

You have a right to be angry but as it happened two months ago and youre still with him, i think its time you got over it.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if he feels that bad about it and you can tell he feels bad about it, I'd go with my gut feeling and say he was curious about something on his mind that he didnt want to just come right out and ask you? Maybe he felt you wasnt telling him something important and maybe he felt he might be able to find it by reading about your past.

If he feels bad about it, then he is sorry for doing it - and obviously cares about hurting your feelings else he wouldnt have admitted it and is now paying the price, and I'd assume is trying to make up for it hopefully.
    By feeling sorry, he probably didnt find what he was looking for or expected to find out about you and feels bad for misjudging or underestimating you

Well, thats what I'd say anyway, but I wouldnt be angry with him if he is sorry, you cant turn back time and he can only keep on apologising.

But if you want to keep private documentation, find a better hiding place! :P and let him know that you'd appreciate it if he asked about your thoughts and feelings rather than mooching about.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be VERY angry, particularly as you'd taken the trouble to hide it away. What justification did he give for going through your cupboard in the first place?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.