Turn on thread page Beta

will i be classed as a home or an oversees student? watch

ReputationRep:
    hey
    basicalli i've lived in the UK for the past 13 years but i was born in Norway, which is not in the EU but in the EEA.
    I was wondering if ppl knew how i'd be classed?
    thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Home.

Becuase you live in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Home.

Becuase you live in the UK.
    absolutely wrong. i live in the UK and this is my 4th year and i am classified as international

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xami)
    hey
    basicalli i've lived in the UK for the past 13 years but i was born in Norway, which is not in the EU but in the EEA.
    I was wondering if ppl knew how i'd be classed?
    thanks
    what status have you got? are u british citizen? are u settled in the UK? (residence permit with no limit?)

ReputationRep:
    yeh i'm settled in the uk, i dn need a visa or nething to live here coz Norways in Europe or something...reli confused!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, found this, should help

"Home UK students
    In order to qualify as a home UK student, you must meet all of the following criteria:

You must be ‘settled’ in the UK and Islands (the Islands means Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) on the ‘first day of the first academic year of the course’
    AND

You must also have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for the full three year period before the ‘first day of the first academic year of the course’
    AND

The main purpose for your residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of this three year period. For the LSE the ‘first day of an academic year of the course’ is 1 September. "

Sometimes admissions staff can be a bit dozy, so continually remind them that you are applying as a home student. You will likely have to provide some proof that you have been resident in the UK for X amount of years, probobly with bank statements, bills, NI number etc.

Have fun at Uni,

Darigan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xami)
    yeh i'm settled in the uk, i dn need a visa or nething to live here coz Norways in Europe or something...reli confused!
    if you have legally lived in the UK for 13 years you probably have the right to have permanent residence permit in the UK.

if you are sure that you are settled - which by immigration terms means having the right to live in the UK with no time limit - then yes you are home student.

ReputationRep:
    ah ok.. yeh that seems like it'll b ok.. i have offer from 2 unis n they've both classified me as home but then one's given me an offer but sed they need to decide what i'm going to be classed as.. hope its home! thank u all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xami)
    ah ok.. yeh that seems like it'll b ok.. i have offer from 2 unis n they've both classified me as home but then one's given me an offer but sed they need to decide what i'm going to be classed as.. hope its home! thank u all!
    lucky you, my all offers are based on me paying international fees! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    how comes? didn't it say 3 years, n if ur in ur 4th year here, then why doesn't it count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vahik92)
    lucky you, my all offers are based on me paying international fees! :mad:
    It might be worth while getting on the phone and having a firm conversation with the admissions staff that are giving you offers as an Int. student. I'm not suggesting anything underhand on the part of the Universities, but the difference to them between an undergrad home student and an undergrad international student is about £20,000 over three years.

<edit> based on home fees at £3,xxx per year and int. fees at £9,xxx per year
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by vahik92)
    absolutely wrong. i live in the UK and this is my 4th year and i am classified as international
    Id edit this.

Seeing as its wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Id edit this.

Seeing as its wrong.
    ok it might sound rude, i didnt mean to, but living in the UK doesnt necessarily give you the right to go to unis as a home student . trust me, im international and ive done as much research as possible about that so i should know what im talking about

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.