Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Taking IGCSEs... Can I apply for community college in america after i take my exams? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm studying in year 10, IGCSEs, and I was wondering if after I take my subject exams, I can apply for a community college in America.

Can I?

EDIT:

I was born in America!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so because technically if you don't go on to a sixth form college you wont have the equivalent of a high school education. American children leave high school at 17/18 years old and go onto college. Not to mention community colleges in america aren't ranked very highly (has an american fiance) and it costs alot of money for an education there and even more so for housing etc as community colleges aren't usually like a normal college as they are mainly for mature students who are looking into getting back into education or students who haven't done very well on exams. They usually don't provide dorms/housing. You will need to be able to 100% support yourself with any costs throughout your stay to even be considerd for immigration and you have to prove that you will leave at the end of your course. It is definitly not a walk in the park I'm afraid I have first hand experience on that matter. Also there is very little financial aid for foreign nationals to study in the US. I would honestly recommend you continue your education in the UK and when you get to University look for programs to be an exchange student in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Why on *earth* would you? Do your A levels or an IB programme or something. You usually need to be either a high school graduate, or 18 or older, to go to a community college. Why are you so desperate to go to an American community college?

Jiyeon puts it mildly when she says they are not ranked very highly: community colleges don't figure anywhere at all in the rankings. Some of them offer excellent teaching (most do not), but regardless universities and employers in the UK will be nonplussed if your primary credentials are from an American community college. You also need residence to get into a community college (usually) and pay the local fees (which are actually comparatively low, in contrast to private or even public four year universities).

Edit: Incidentally, I'm not just ****ging them off at random. My mother teaches at one, so I have some idea of the standard of work most students submit. I've also taken macro and micro economics at one (over the summer--I was interested in looking at a master in public policy in the states at one point, and most of the good programmes require you to have taken economics; I couldn't do that in Edinburgh so I took macro and micro over the summer while I was at home.) You're much better off with A levels or IB courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Why on *earth* would you? Do your A levels or an IB programme or something. You usually need to be either a high school graduate, or 18 or older, to go to a community college. Why are you so desperate to go to an American community college?

Jiyeon puts it mildly when she says they are not ranked very highly: community colleges don't figure anywhere at all in the rankings. Some of them offer excellent teaching (most do not), but regardless universities and employers in the UK will be nonplussed if your primary credentials are from an American community college. You also need residence to get into a community college (usually) and pay the local fees (which are actually comparatively low, in contrast to private or even public four year universities).

Edit: Incidentally, I'm not just ****ging them off at random. My mother teaches at one, so I have some idea of the standard of work most students submit. I've also taken macro and micro economics at one (over the summer--I was interested in looking at a master in public policy in the states at one point, and most of the good programmes require you to have taken economics; I couldn't do that in Edinburgh so I took macro and micro over the summer while I was at home.) You're much better off with A levels or IB courses.
    I agree 100% I'm not ****ging community college off either my mother in law took a part time course in accounting and now has a much better job. They are definitly not a great choice for a younger student. Plus I can't stress enough IMMIGRATION IS A B**** and it's so bloody expensive. It really is.

ReputationRep:
    CRAP, i forgot to mention i was born in america, so yeah, i'm a citizen.

does this make things easier for me?

and i have friends and family that are willing to take me in, so yeah.

i just really want to get back to america as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    If you are a citizen then it would be easier for you (as long as you have the right documents and proof that you are a citizen and entitled to live in the US) BUT you'd have to do 2 years in high school before going to college.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you go back there to finish HS, OP, establish residency, and then apply for four year universities in-state for college? Or even go to a CC after you finish HS, then do two more years at a four-year uni to finish your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Why don't you go back there to finish HS, OP, establish residency, and then apply for four year universities in-state for college? Or even go to a CC after you finish HS, then do two more years at a four-year uni to finish your degree?
    my dad won't let me go back to america.
    and he said he won't support me if i go to a community college, cause he thinks they're crap.
    so basically i'm on my own once i get there, kind of.

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty of people who went to 'college' after their IG's. But then again, they had support from the kuwaiti government, who I am pretty sure pays some money for it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ackkkkk)
    my dad won't let me go back to america.
    and he said he won't support me if i go to a community college, cause he thinks they're crap.
    so basically i'm on my own once i get there, kind of.
    Then wait until you've finished sixth form college, get A levels and then apply for a University course in the US cause by then you will be legally old enough to make decisions on your own if your father doesn't support them. Your dad is pretty much on the money when he says community colleges aren't that great. Think about it this way, you finish your education here and get good grades and apply for a good university in the US when you come to get a job they'll be like "Oh you went to such and such University, that is a good university" instead of say "Oh this applicant only went to a community college, we have other applicants who come from a stronger academic background" it's a pretty risky thing to do. You say you are only in year 10, you are still pretty young and technically you aren't legally old enough to go to a US college/university.

ReputationRep:
    OH, CRAP.
    I'M SORRY I KEEP FREAKING- NOT BEING DETAILED.

i was a bit of a problem in the us (which is why i was moved here)
    and i flunked a lot and i'm actually sixteen years old.

and i cannot IMAGINE staying here until i'm twenty and finished with my ib, so yeah.
    i just want to get into a community college by the time i'm 18.

but basically-

i CAN get into a community college with JUST igcses, right?
    it's possible?
    will it be hard?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I don't think so because GCSE's are just standard secondary school education. Most people finish A levels etc at 18 years old and go onto university. You need to wait 2 more years if you are 16. It'd be best to contact a community college admissions department.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!

So i'd finish my igcses by the time i'm 18.

so the timing is fine- i'm just worried about being able to apply.

and thanks, i'll actually try that.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.