Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello i have 4 horses and i currently do show jumping with them ?? is it best to ride them in the snow that we had or just keep them excercised when they are in the feild??? what type of horses is your fave ???

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt ride them on the roads - a bit icy. School or horsewalker would be best.

ReputationRep:
    oh well where i live the road isnt icy its just wet ???

ReputationRep:
    Be alright then. Dunno, depends. Various places I know cant get them out the yards, if you can ride then why not?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i might as well. as its been raining most of the day anyway and most of them do need excercseing half the time!

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE going out in the snow with mine - mucho funo because he loves it too....actually he goes slightly bonkers.

ReputationRep:
    lol. yeah mine love the snow as well and they love being rode in it. they just love to run about in it!

ReputationRep:
    Mine hates snow :/
    He'd rather stay in his stable and have a hug

I personally wouldn't ride if it's icy,
    too much of a risk.
    Put them in the field till it clears up.

ReputationRep:
    hi. i dont have horses but i have rode for many years and love showjumping. personally, i wouldn't ride at all. all my lessons have been cancelled because there is snow everywhere. the horses are being execised in the indoor area. oh, and my favourite type of horse is a thoroughbred i mainly ride two horses, a light bay 16.2hh thoroughbred, and dark bay 15.2hh

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys pack the horses hoof with grease or put boots on them when you ride out in the snow just my horses hasnt got strong feet and wuld definitley slip otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    My boy lives out barefoot and fully clipped (poor pony!) although he is rugged to the eyeballs. We have been riding (carefully, in walk and trot) on the snow in his field. The school is frozen solid. Not had any problems with his feet balling or with him slipping - barefoot seems to be better than shod in this weather!

At uni the lessons have all been moved to the indoor - the horses have all lost the plot as theyre not all getting the work they need!

Snowy cob:

ReputationRep:
    If your horses are shod and you feel you have to ride then grease shoes/hooves up massively. No jumping though obviously. Also remember if your riding in fields, snow can hide all kinds of mean nasty things! have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelcream55)
    hello i have 4 horses and i currently do show jumping with them ?? is it best to ride them in the snow that we had or just keep them excercised when they are in the feild??? what type of horses is your fave ???
    I wouldn't ride in the snow, just in case of ice.

Stupid things would probably get spooked and slip...

Or maybe thats just mine. Damn thoroughbreds...

ReputationRep:
    hmm i agree um well its best to put tendon boots or brushing boots on the horse and you can also put over reach on them

ReputationRep:
    I'm riding my cob and shire gently in snowy fields but not my Andalusians because they are not used to this cold and not as hardy. I don't go fast though as the ice has made every divot a hazard and I don't want to risk they're legs. Thankfully we have an indoor school also so I can still school the horses despite the weather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I'm riding my cob and shire gently in snowy fields but not my Andalusians because they are not used to this cold and not as hardy. I don't go fast though as the ice has made every divot a hazard and I don't want to risk they're legs. Thankfully we have an indoor school also so I can still school the horses despite the weather.
    oh right thats good then. well its been raining mostly so i can prob start riding in the field pretty soon

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.