Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Where I want to do my PGCE it trains you for 11-16. Is there anything legal stopping you from teaching up to 18 when you get a job? Is there an extra course you have to do to teach sixth form?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can teach any phase with an 11-16 PGCE but, if you want to teach Sixth Form, you would be better advised to do an 11-18 PGCE as it will give you some valuable post-16 experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You can teach any phase with an 11-16 PGCE but, if you want to teach Sixth Form, you would be better advised to do an 11-18 PGCE as it will give you some valuable post-16 experience.
    hi mr M, long time we've not conversed. I was wondering if you could elaborate on the above. Theres hardly a school left where i am where they only teach 11-16, it looks like i will have to teach 11-18?

Will i be missing out on alot, given that ive applied only to teach 11-16. Will i be severly at a disadvantage from the prospective employers point of view? How much do you think it differs, as in the ITT? I can only assume that you need to address the issue of writing uni references.

thanks Mr M
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lookingtoteach)
    hi mr M, long time we've not conversed. I was wondering if you could elaborate on the above. Theres hardly a school left where i am where they only teach 11-16, it looks like i will have to teach 11-18?

Will i be missing out on alot, given that ive applied only to teach 11-16. Will i be severly at a disadvantage from the prospective employers point of view? How much do you think it differs, as in the ITT? I can only assume that you need to address the issue of writing uni references.

thanks Mr M
    Thanks, same here. It's only really possible for me to attend this uni so I think it will be a case of doing 11-16 anyway. Is there any additional training one can take whilst working to get more experience with 16-18.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

thanks Mr M
    It doesn't make a big difference. On an 11-18 PGCE, the student will usually do an A Level subject knowledge audit. This often involves looking through some past papers and then signing a piece of paper to confirm you feel comfortable with the content. The student will probably (but not definitely) teach an A Level class on placement for a couple of weeks.

In summary, the only advantage an 11-18 PGCE trainee will have over an 11-16 trainee is that he or she might have observed a few more A Level lessons and might have taught a handful of A Level lessons (possibly as few as three or four).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bestie)
    Thanks, same here. It's only really possible for me to attend this uni so I think it will be a case of doing 11-16 anyway. Is there any additional training one can take whilst working to get more experience with 16-18.
    Yes. While on placement, you can ask if the school will arrange for you to spend a few days at a nearby sixth form college to get some post 16 experience. Or you could plan ahead and visit one now.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ oh ok, thanks for clearing that up Mr M.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The issue is not the extra experience an 11-18 trainee will have over an 11-16 trainee (this is minimal), it is just that any school you apply to is likely to ask you to explain why you did not train to teach this phase in the first place. If you have a decent reason, there is no problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The issue is not the extra experience an 11-18 trainee will have over an 11-16 trainee (this is minimal), it is just that any school you apply to is likely to ask you to explain why you did not train to teach this phase in the first place. If you have a decent reason, there is no problem.
    hmm Mr M, as far as i can remember you cannot apply to do pgce 11-18. It is either 11-16 or post 16. 11-16 will allow you to teach post 16 but a post 16 PGCE will not qualify you to teach 11-16. Im pretty sure reading that somewhere, i could be wrong?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hmm Mr M, as far as i can remember you cannot apply to do pgce 11-18.
    You are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You are wrong.
    oh no , are you sure Mr M (im sure your right). Will this effect me? I wanted to teach 11-18 but have only applied to 11-16. If they ask me, would it be ok to say i wanted to gain confidence in my pedagogy before embarking on post 16.

Mr M, please do look at this link, gttr divides the categories in the following fashion,

http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...rch.HsForm.run

there doesn't seem to be 11-16 or 11 -18. Im assuming secondary is 11-18 and choosing further is only for 16-18, righ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    oh no , are you sure Mr M (im sure your right). Will this effect me? I wanted to teach 11-18 but have only applied to 11-16. If they ask me, would it be ok to say i wanted to gain confidence in my pedagogy before embarking on post 16.

Mr M, please do look at this link, gttr divides the categories in the following fashion,

http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...rch.HsForm.run

there doesn't seem to be 11-16 or 11 -18. Im assuming secondary is 11-18 and choosing further is only for 16-18, righ?
    I can't really be bothered to look at the link.

Here is an 11-18 PGCE in Secondary mathematics (to prove they exist).

http://www.uea.ac.uk/edu/pgce/pgcesecondary/mathematics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I can't really be bothered to look at the link.

Here is an 11-18 PGCE in Secondary mathematics (to prove they exist).

http://www.uea.ac.uk/edu/pgce/pgcesecondary/mathematics
    oh ok, thanks for the link Mr M.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestie)

If you want to teach post-compulsory you can take a course in the Lifelong Learning Sector.

ReputationRep:
    hmm Mr M, as far as i can remember you cannot apply to do pgce 11-18. It is either 11-16 or post 16. 11-16 will allow you to teach post 16 but a post 16 PGCE will not qualify you to teach 11-16. Im pretty sure reading that somewhere, i could be wrong?

I'm doing 11-18 in English. Was something i looked out for when applying as i have most experience in 16-18 education, but didn't want to be restricted to only FE. I belive you can teach higher if you are trained in 11-16 (eg the 16-18 category) But if you are trained in 16-18 you can't teach in schools (11-16)... but could treach 14+ in a college....? (something like that)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kidders)
    I'm doing 11-18 in English. Was something i looked out for when applying as i have most experience in 16-18 education, but didn't want to be restricted to only FE. I belive you can teach higher if you are trained in 11-16 (eg the 16-18 category) But if you are trained in 16-18 you can't teach in schools (11-16)... but could treach 14+ in a college....? (something like that)
    Thanks. I'll check with the careers people. That would work for me as I want to teach in a school not just a sixth-form/college.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.