Turn on thread page Beta

Contacts- just a couple of questions watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal that I feel like I want to blink all the time? And will this urge desist soon cos it's getting a little annoying lol. Also is it normal for my eyes to feel itchy when I have the contacts in? I'm trialling them at the moment and got them yesterday to give you a time-frame.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty normal for the first 3 to 7 days, in my experience.

You on the 'hard' or 'soft', gas-permeable lenses? I wear the latter, daily disposables, and there's no discomfort whatsoever (been wearing them since 2004). However I did have the permanent 'hard' lenses for a while and...frankly, they were a disaster. Scratchy, itchy and on one occasion my eye became that sore I couldn't take it out and sat through a lecture with my hand covering my eye unable to read.

If you're having problems come the weekend, go back to glasses for a day or two and let your cornea repair any scratches naturally. Worst thing you can do is 'persevere' if your eyes become scratched - they'll potentially get infected and you only have the two eyes.

ReputationRep:
    I've worn contacts for a couple of years now and, in my experience...
    - It's normal for your eyes to want to 'reject' any foreign material - in this case, your contact lenses. You should adapt within a couple of days - if not, I'd recommend going back to your optician.
    - Itchiness often comes about from your eyes being too dry - maybe try some contact-lens-friendly eye drops (available in supermarkets, Boots, etc...) for the first week or so.
    - If you don't use daily lenses, make sure that you use enough solution to clean the lenses when you take them out to stop them from drying out. Also, don't leave them in for too long at first - I'd say 6 hours max... but I'm no expert

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotQuiteCornish)
    It's pretty normal for the first 3 to 7 days, in my experience.

You on the 'hard' or 'soft', gas-permeable lenses? I wear the latter, daily disposables, and there's no discomfort whatsoever (been wearing them since 2004). However I did have the permanent 'hard' lenses for a while and...frankly, they were a disaster. Scratchy, itchy and on one occasion my eye became that sore I couldn't take it out and sat through a lecture with my hand covering my eye unable to read.

If you're having problems come the weekend, go back to glasses for a day or two and let your cornea repair any scratches naturally. Worst thing you can do is 'persevere' if your eyes become scratched - they'll potentially get infected and you only have the two eyes.
    I'm on the soft ones, but monthly disposables not dailies and ones that I can wear for up to 16 hours straight as before I was wearing my glasses all the time, but decided I wanted to a)look less geeky and b) get rid of all the annoying things to do with glasses (like crap peripheral vision etc- you probably know what I'm on about lol)

The thing with the itching is that it feels like my eyelids, not my actual eye, that feel itchy (so the skin basically) which is weird considering the contacts aren't touching them on the outside... but I'll see how the feel at the end of today after I've worn them for a long period and see if it gets better- if it doesn't I'll go back to the glasses and ask the optician. Thanks for the advice!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.