Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got a place at Leeds hospital for a 6 month Pharmacy placement. I live in Bradford, so will be commuting to Leeds for the 6 months. I also have a car, and i've found cheap parking in Leeds. The problem is the congestion in a morning. I'll be travelling in peak times (7am-9am) five days a week. Does anyone know how bad the traffic is? Is it better to take public transport? I'll still have to leave home an hour and a half in advance either way so i'd rather just take my car.
    What the most traffic free way into leeds?
    Any suggestions????

ReputationRep:
    Which way do you go to at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Bradford uni and I've never had to commute into Leeds before...I'd prefer to go by car - but if the traffic is bad, then there's not really much point.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I'd go on the train

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Which way do you go to at the moment?
    I'm at Bradford uni and I've never had to commute into Leeds before...I'd prefer to go by car - but if the traffic is bad, then there's not really much point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamichi)
    If you're going by car, I'd go through Bradford, up Leeds Road, then on to the Stanningley bypass and go that way. My dad sometimes goes to M606/M62/M621 way through Odsal Top to get rid of all the traffic but it's a bit further.

In a morning the bus (X6 is the best because it's limited stop, the 72 and other buses go a stupid way) would take about an hour or so. The train takes about 35-40 minutes.

EDIT: If by 'Leeds Hospital' you mean the LGI, go by car because it's just off the inner ring road, or by bus because it stops just before there and you won't have to walk from the train station

ReputationRep:
    If you're going by car, I'd go through Bradford, up Leeds Road, then on to the Stanningley bypass and go that way. My dad sometimes goes to M606/M62/M621 way through Odsal Top to get rid of all the traffic but it's a bit further.

In a morning the bus (X6 is the best because it's limited stop, the 72 and other buses go a stupid way) would take about an hour or so. The train takes about 35-40 minutes.

EDIT: If by 'Leeds Hospital' you mean the LGI, go by car because it's just off the inner ring road, or by bus because it stops just before there and you won't have to walk from the train station

I've heard the stanningley bypass is pretty much stand-still in peak times...is odsal top clear? I dont mind if its a longer drive - i just dont want to be sat in traffic for ages.
    I've got parking at St James's University Hospital, but im based at LGI, so I'd walk from St James's to LGI.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard the stanningley bypass is pretty much stand-still in peak times...is odsal top clear? I dont mind if its a longer drive - i just dont want to be sat in traffic for ages.
    I've got parking at St James's University Hospital, but im based at LGI, so I'd walk from St James's to LGI.
    That's quite a walk...it'd make more sense to just get a bus or train...

ReputationRep:
    i agree with sakura-chan. my parents take that route everyday and my mum works next door to the LGI. it doesnt take them that long however there is always atleast 2 people in the car which means my parents use the 2+ lane which is a lot faster than the normal one.

ReputationRep:
    Odsal top is usually pretty busy around that time because of the school traffic and everyone going into the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    You question congestion of traffic to save time; yet you do know that this walk is quite long, right?

Also if you use the Stanningley by-pass, the traffic is not so bad if you have another passenger to use the 2+ lane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PicsOrGTFO)
    i agree with sakura-chan. my parents take that route everyday and my mum works next door to the LGI. it doesnt take them that long however there is always atleast 2 people in the car which means my parents use the 2+ lane which is a lot faster than the normal one.
    I wont have a 2nd passenger for a while because I dont know any1 else that works there - but hopefully, i'll b able to find someone soon enough.
    How long does it take to get from Bradford to Leeds by car? I need to be at LGI by about 8:50am...what time should I leave home? And...where is the worst traffic?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I remember the motorway near the Showcase (Birstall) to be chocker (M62?). So I wouldn't suggest getting on the M62 and then either using main roads and side roads and get on at the M621 or using the Stanningly bypass. Failing that, getting a train or bus until you meet someone to use the 2+ lane.

ReputationRep:
    well last year my parents used to drop me off at school at dixons ca and then they would go to leeds city centre. so we used to set off at 8.05/8.10, from allerton, and my mum would still make it to leeds court by 9. however this doesnt include parking time as my dad drops her off and parks. minusing the time it takes to go up and down manchester road (10mins) it takes my parents around 40 mins to get to leeds.

it will be a longer for you initially because you won't have a second person. i dont want to give you a specific time you should leave home because iv never done the journey with one person. best bet is to first set off with plently of time like 1hr30mins and then see how it goes.

hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    You'd probably save time and money on the train.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe an option is before you do this placement, do a morning trial run trip to see how long it takes and if you set off at X time, will be on time.

ReputationRep:
    well last year my parents used to drop me off at school at dixons ca and then they would go to leeds city centre. so we used to set off at 8.05/8.10, from allerton, and my mum would still make it to leeds court by 9. however this doesnt include parking time as my dad drops her off and parks. minusing the time it takes to go up and down manchester road (10mins) it takes my parents around 40 mins to get to leeds.

it will be a longer for you initially because you won't have a second person. i dont want to give you a specific time you should leave home because iv never done the journey with one person. best bet is to first set off with plently of time like 1hr30mins and then see how it goes.

hope this helps.
    is that including all the time sat in traffic?

ReputationRep:
    I used to go to Dixons too

ReputationRep:
    I used to go to Dixons too

lol. me too.

Though u live in leeds??

ReputationRep:
    lol. me too.

Though u live in leeds??
    Nuh, I live in Bradford, just put Leeds out of habit because nobody ever seems to know where Bradford is on here :p:

You must have been in the year above me.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.