Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do people who as grown people still do what "most people" do seem like losers to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and I work in a department at a bank head office of about 30 persons. There is this woman co-worker, about aged 32 or so, who is unbelievably ditzy and weak-willed. At lunch in the staff room we were talking about X Factor once and some of us said we liked it, some of us said we think reality TV is bull. She then said, "how can somebody not like reality TV?! Everybody else likes it!!! I couldn't imagine not liking what everybody else does!"

I was in my mind like "oooookk. " Once you get to a certain age, shouldn't you have a sense of yourself and be confident in your own likes/dislikes in life? Are most people that age losers who have no sense of self like my co-worker? :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Most people who are older know what they like and don't like. She seems pretty pathetic tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Reality TV does mostly suck.

Stupid, emotional fueled drivel.

Watching it is one thing, but I think those who are so dedicated to something like that do need to get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Most people who are older know what they like and don't like. She seems pretty pathetic tbh.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like this in my early/mid teens. Thank god I grew out of it I feel pretty sorry for the woman you described.

ReputationRep:
    However, she does seem aware that she likes it because everyone else does, not just "oh but I would like it even if no-one else did".

Also in a lot of jobs it helps massively if you can have some input into what everyone else is talking about. Over the summer I worked in a call centre as a temp and though I'm really not into the celebrity culture I'd buy a celeb mag every now and again and talk about how much I liked someone's shoes, because if I didn't, i'd have no-one at all to talk to.
    I don't think this is being weak-willed, it enables you to fit in to your work place which is always a savvy career move.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly some people remain this way 'til the day they die.

ReputationRep:
    Those people are like sheep, you can find them at any age although some people who were sheep like as youths grow out of it.

ReputationRep:
    You can find people at any age doing that, my mum says a lot of people at work do it and they are mostly from age 30-50. People do it at school all the time, annoys me when people just follow others and can't think for themselves at all. Some people grow out of it but some will do it till their last breath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    However, she does seem aware that she likes it because everyone else does, not just "oh but I would like it even if no-one else did".

Also in a lot of jobs it helps massively if you can have some input into what everyone else is talking about. Over the summer I worked in a call centre as a temp and though I'm really not into the celebrity culture I'd buy a celeb mag every now and again and talk about how much I liked someone's shoes, because if I didn't, i'd have no-one at all to talk to.
    I don't think this is being weak-willed, it enables you to fit in to your work place which is always a savvy career move.
    This is true. But it doesn't mean there are ne'er do wells in the world who lack the gumption to think for themselves.

Such is life, i don't prescribe for losers like that and actively look down on them. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I'm 22 and I work in a department at a bank head office of about 30 persons.
    BS.

When you anon-failed a while back you said you were 13.

ReputationRep:
    Chances are she has been a sheep all her life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    Chances are she has been a sheep all her life.
    A born loser then.

ReputationRep:
    some people just never grown up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    BS.

When you anon-failed a while back you said you were 13.
    When did I say that?

ReputationRep:
    When did I say that?
    A few months back when you made a thread as anon, then anon failed halfway through.

ReputationRep:
    She then said, "how can somebody not like reality TV?! Everybody else likes it!!! I couldn't imagine not liking what everybody else does!"
    That's a bit like saying ''If so many people agree then it can't possibly be wrong!''. Has she ever heard of the Holocaust? I'm pretty sure all, if not a majority, of Nazis liked that. A lot.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.