Turn on thread page Beta

Sexual health checks... an honest opinion? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've read so many internet sites to find out what my sexual health check up will be like, but I really feel like I need an honest, personal opinion, as I'm quite nervous that these sites I've been reading (including this one - the wiki), talk it down to persuade you to go.

So, in all honesty, could someone who's actually been for one tell me how uncomfortable and embarassing it really is?

Obviously I'll still go for it anyway, I just want to know what I'm letting myself in for.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's perfectly fine and not embrassing at all, unless you look really young like me, then people give you strange looks.

It might be different at different clinics but at mine:

1) Go to reception get given a numbered ticket and some forms to fill in
    2) Fill in forms with what tests you want/any symptoms/contact details/consent form
    3) Sit in waiting room till nurse is free
    4) Nurse goes through the form with you to agree on tests (our clinic only does HIV/Syphilis/Chlamydia/Gonorrhoea unless you have symptoms)
    5) Nurse asks how many partners you've had in the last year and then in the last three months and if they are male or female
    6) Blood test taken
    7) Condoms if you want them are given
    8) She gives you a swap for you internal test, you go to the bathroom, do it then put it through a hatch.
    9) You leave and wait three weeks for the result.

(Original post by Hoggster=))
    I've read so many internet sites to find out what my sexual health check up will be like, but I really feel like I need an honest, personal opinion, as I'm quite nervous that these sites I've been reading (including this one - the wiki), talk it down to persuade you to go.

So, in all honesty, could someone who's actually been for one tell me how uncomfortable and embarassing it really is?

Obviously I'll still go for it anyway, I just want to know what I'm letting myself in for.
    It's nothing.. they just shove things carefully and gently into your cavities and it's over in a minute or so.

Blood test is simple too.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I've never found it uncomfortable or embarrassing, but I'm not one of those people who think OMG I CAN'T SHOW MY WHOOHA TO A DOCTOR IT"S SO EMBARRASSING! cause in most cases it has to be done, they see them all the time, and they have genitals themselves, who gives a ****. The nurses/doctors are usually really nice and put you at ease. Just go in with confidence, no one is going to know what you say apart from the doctor and they can't tell anyone anything anyway. They'll just ask you sexual history and a few other questions.

If you have no symptoms you might not even have to drop your knickers, usually you just wee in a cup (in a private toilet) to test for chlamydia and gonorrhea. If you want a syphilis or hiv test you have to do a blood test (I'm pretty sure).

I got my results by text bout a week later. CLEAN :cute:

ReputationRep:
    ****, blood test, I forgot about that. I don't have a needle fear, seeing I have several piercings and tattoos, it's the thought of all that blood coming out of my body so quickly *shivers*.

Anyway, your answers contradict, do you get to do the swab yourself, or does the nurse do it for you? maybe clinic-dependant? I hope I can do it myself...

ReputationRep:
    do you ever have to give a semen sample?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hoggster=))
    ****, blood test, I forgot about that. I don't have a needle fear, seeing I have several piercings and tattoos, it's the thought of all that blood coming out of my body so quickly *shivers*.

Anyway, your answers contradict, do you get to do the swab yourself, or does the nurse do it for you? maybe clinic-dependant? I hope I can do it myself...
    I just had to swab myself. Most men who get swabbed get it done for them but I think it's depends on where you live as at uni they do a urine test instead of a swab.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't sound quite so scary now =)

Now I'm just paranoid about the looks I'll get when I go in!! It's situated in my local hospital, and I've sat in the outpatients dept. and saw the looks the people get going into the GUM clinic lol!!

ReputationRep:
    I had a swab dne for me the last 3 times, it's not pleasant but hardly life changing. I put my knickers back on and went to work straight after with no ill effects.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.