Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible I could have moved my teeth with my own tongue? watch

ReputationRep:
    For years now I've been absolutley terrified I'm going to dislodge my own teeth with my tongue, and in the past it's never happened, but yesterday I noticed my bottom teeth looked slightly different in their position, and I keep feeling one of my bootom teeth occasionall banging against a top one when I talk - but maybe its always been like that and I haven't noticed.

It feels absolutely terrible, because I'm scared that the fear I thought was so illogical has manafested itself in me actually pushing my tongue against my teeth and disloging them, although I don't remember any point where I would have pushed my teeth hard enough against my tongue to dislodge them.

However, for a while now I've had to habit of constantly running my tongue across my teeth, not hard, but I regularly run it across them, feeling the shape of them. Is it possible that this constantly exposure to the tongue movement could over time cause them to dislodge, or is it unlikely unless the tongue was excerting particularly hard pressure?

However, I keep looking at my bottom teeth, and there is no blood or anything, there is no pain in the tooth or the gun, and there is no discomfort at all. If such a movement had taken place, is it possible it could take place without any pain, or for teeth to move would it hurt like a *****?

This fear has never felt so real for me, I was absolutely horrified to be faced with the scenario that in my own mind I may actually have finally done what I've feared for so long, and I couldn't face going to school, I started crying and just couldn't do anything. It's a terrible feeling.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely unless you have really weak gums/teeth.

ReputationRep:
    Wisdom teeth may have caused some strain I don't know sounds unlikely you could be able to permenantly move them with your tongue. All teeth and some movement in them unless you have metal gums.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt it. Stop worrying.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, I've woken up sometimes with my teeth at the top scraping against my bottom set, feels weird, but returns to normal after a while.

ReputationRep:
    I think thats only the case when they're newley growing.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, you can shape the direction of a tooth only when you've just lost a tooth and the new one is coming out.

Don't touch your newly growing teeth people!

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely you'd move your teeth with your tongue. If you're concerned see a dentist.

ReputationRep:
    it is POSSIBLE to move them with your tongue yes, it is known as tongue thrusting (whether you have it or not i've no idea). All i know is i did dental technology and i had to make an appliance for someone with it.

see your dentist if you are worried... although it only sounds like a small movement so it is probably nothing to worry about... but i am NOT a trained dentist so i can't tell you for certain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue_thrusting

ReputationRep:
    You won't have moved your teeth with your tounge. You may notice some change due to wisdom teeth moving, lack of wearing a retainer after braces have been taken off, or due to diet. It is nothing serious and you don't need to worry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.