Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford riot shield sledging police officers (Video) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Police officers filmed using riot shields to sledge down a snowy hill while on duty have been reprimanded.

The footage of a group of officers on Boars Hill, Oxford, was taken by Rick Latham on Tuesday. He posted it on the file-sharing website YouTube.

Supt Andrew Murray, from Thames Valley Police, said the snow had "a habit of bringing out the child in all of us".

He said the officers involved have been spoken to and advised that their actions were a "bad idea".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/8458822.stm

Funny.

ReputationRep:
    What a bunch of miserable *****.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, I want one :P

ReputationRep:
    That looks frickin awesome to me! Anyone who complains about this, when they don't appear to have done any harm or damage to anyone/anything is a right miserable **** IMO

ReputationRep:
    Looks like they're having fun! As long as there isn't someone being murdered around the corner then its okay.

ReputationRep:
    I guess the Inspector doesn't think it's very professional of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/8458822.stm

Funny.
    Nice video.
    Looks like lots of fun.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody moaning about this is a kill joy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not paying for them to have fun I'm paying for them to uphold the law. They can sledge off duty on their own time and equipment. What would have happened if an emergency cropped up whilst that man is over there. Wasting precious time to get back to their method of transport whilst the situation would potentially get worse. The officers should be fired, fined or spend a night in a cell.
    If I were to use police equipment like that I'd get prosecuted and perhaps jailed. They weren't using it for official police business and I don't see how they should be above the law.

ReputationRep:
    I wish all police were like this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I'm not paying for them to have fun I'm paying for them to uphold the law. They can sledge off duty on their own time and equipment. What would have happened if an emergency cropped up whilst that man is over there. Wasting precious time to get back to their method of transport whilst the situation would potentially get worse. The officers should be fired, fined or spend a night in a cell.
    If I were to use police equipment like that I'd get prosecuted and perhaps jailed. They weren't using it for official police business and I don't see how they should be above the law.
    i know it is a ******* disgrace who do they think they are having fun like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    i know it is a ******* disgrace who do they think they are having fun like that
    I'm not saying they're not allowed to have fun, but to have fun on our time when they're meant to be protecting and serving us is out of order.
    Like I said if they want to do that they can do it on their own time and equipment.
    Don't try to straw man me.

ReputationRep:
    This is all true but lighten up man.

ReputationRep:
    That's right, because anyone in any job shouldn't be allowed to have a bit of fun. They should just do what they are told....

/sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    lol, what about when they take a luch break?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    That's right, because anyone in any job shouldn't be allowed to have a bit of fun. They should just do what they are told....

/sarcasm
    Why don't you read my post properly instead of straw-manning
    Or is that all you can do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    lol, what about when they take a luch break?
    Then not on police equipment.

ReputationRep:
    As soon as I saw the picture in the newspaper last week I thought "hmm, I bet they get in trouble for that". Sure enough...

ReputationRep:
    Prime Directives
    1: Serve the public trust
    2: Protect the innocent
    3: Uphold the law

Directive 4: Use riot shield for sledging purposes on a snowy day.

ReputationRep:
    Then not on police equipment.
    you don't think they are wearing all their police equipment when they take a lunch break? They got £1000s worth of kit on then.

- it obviously didn't damage the shield, they are designed to take a lot more than that, whereas sledges are very thin and flimsy and last years. Pretty easy to assume it wouldn't damage them...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.