Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford riot shield sledging police officers (Video) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    you don't think they are wearing all their police equipment when they take a lunch break? They got £1000s worth of kit on then.

- it obviously didn't damage the shield, they are designed to take a lot more than that, whereas sledges are very thin and flimsy and last years. Pretty easy to assume it wouldn't damage them...
    Obviously it's unreasonable to tell them to undress, put on their normal crap, then dress up again. This would be a waste of time and their lunch hours would have to be lengthened.
    However if I were to take and use a piece of police equipment in the manner they did I would be arrested and/or fined and prosecuted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Why don't you read my post properly instead of straw-manning
    Or is that all you can do?
    Why don't you realise that it was just a bit of harmless fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    Why don't you realise that it was just a bit of harmless fun?
    You don't realise that that's not what they're paid to do or what that equipment is made to be used for?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it's unreasonable to tell them to undress, put on their normal crap, then dress up again. This would be a waste of time and their lunch hours would have to be lengthened.
    However if I were to take and use a piece of police equipment in the manner they did I would be arrested and/or fined and prosecuted.
    cos you arn't the police lol... I dont know, they would probably think you were trying to nick it or something... + some random guy with a riot shield = bad, police with a riot shield = better (but bad cos there might be a riot)

Who knows? I just think it was a fun thing - that people can relate to and isnt really going to damage the polices appearance in the public eye... Except some people cos its "tax payers money" or whatever..

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by there's too much love
    I'm not paying for them to have fun I'm paying for them to uphold the law. They can sledge off duty on their own time and equipment. What would have happened if an emergency cropped up whilst that man is over there. Wasting precious time to get back to their method of transport whilst the situation would potentially get worse. The officers should be fired, fined or spend a night in a cell.
    If I were to use police equipment like that I'd get prosecuted and perhaps jailed. They weren't using it for official police business and I don't see how they should be above the law.
    they should call you buzz-killington

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying they're not allowed to have fun, but to have fun on our time when they're meant to be protecting and serving us is out of order.
    Like I said if they want to do that they can do it on their own time and equipment.
    Don't try to straw man me.
    no i agre with you we are paying them for every thing they do in the day and so spending a minute going down a hill is completely unacceptable they should be sacked did they know that we know ALL THE FACTS from the video stupid policemen

ReputationRep:
    You don't realise that that's not what they're paid to do or what that equipment is made to be used for?
    Yes that's true. But I can see the positive benefits of having the odd video like this. Possibly, younger generations won't see policemen as racist old buggers who can't mind their own business, but instead they realise that even policemen, who have to be serious most of the time have a sense of humour.

Don't get me wrong, if all policemen around the country were doing it, I would be pissed off as well. But the odd incident? That's fine with me.

A slap on the wrist would be punishment enough. But fired, or even fined? That's way over the top.

ReputationRep:
    The great thing is, I can see this getting a bit out of hand with some newspapers.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    Yes that's true. But I can see the positive benefits of having the odd video like this. Possibly, younger generations won't see policemen as racist old buggers who can't mind their own business, but instead they realise that even policemen, who have to be serious most of the time have a sense of humour.

Don't get me wrong, if all policemen around the country were doing it, I would be pissed off as well. But the odd incident? That's fine with me.

A slap on the wrist would be punishment enough. But fired, or even fined? That's way over the top.
    Oh so if a police-man does something before all other policemen that involves having fun in this way then they should get special privileges?

ReputationRep:
    Just looks like harmless fun to me. Yes, it might not be the most professional thing to do, but we're all entitled to have a break every now and then? Anyway, I think the "talking to" they got was 'punishment' enough, not sure that sledging down a hill is quite severe enough for them to be fined/fired/put in jail.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day,

ReputationRep:
    ******* Pigs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    ******* Pigs.
    ok... had some bad experiences?

ReputationRep:
    Oh so if a police-man does something before all other policemen that involves having fun in this way then they should get special privileges?
    Wow... Just refer to amizzle91's post...

It didn't harm anyone, they were only there for a few minutes and they would have been easily available to respond to a situation should one arise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not paying for them to have fun I'm paying for them to uphold the law. They can sledge off duty on their own time and equipment. What would have happened if an emergency cropped up whilst that man is over there. Wasting precious time to get back to their method of transport whilst the situation would potentially get worse. The officers should be fired, fined or spend a night in a cell.
    If I were to use police equipment like that I'd get prosecuted and perhaps jailed. They weren't using it for official police business and I don't see how they should be above the law.
    Are you a student? Do you actually have a job? Your profile says you are going to Hull uni which leads me to assume you are an average jobless student who doesn't even pay taxes to begin with.

Lighten up *******, you have all your middle age to be a miserable ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    Wow... Just refer to amizzle91's post...

It didn't harm anyone, they were only there for a few minutes and they would have been easily available to respond to a situation should one arise.
    apart form he was in a ditch a good 100 metres away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Are you a student? Do you actually have a job? Your profile says you are going to Hull uni which leads me to assume you are an average jobless student who doesn't even pay taxes to begin with.

Lighten up *******, you have all your middle age to be a miserable ****.
    I have no obligation to answer your attempts to ad hom attack me.

ReputationRep:
    And what if an emergency had cropped up exactly where they were? Would they be commended for being in the right place at the right time, or does it work that they'd only be criticised if they were in the wrong place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    ok... had some bad experiences?
    Nope, they seem to be happy and having a lot of fun in that video, and I don't like that.

ReputationRep:
    I have no obligation to answer your attempts to ad hom attack me.
    Does this imply that you don't pay tax, so your first post could have just been reduced to "I'm not paying them"?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.