Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford riot shield sledging police officers (Video) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    And what if an emergency had cropped up exactly where they were? Would they be commended for being in the right place at the right time, or does it work that they'd only be criticised if they were in the wrong place?
    Then they should still be condemned because they shouldn't of been there in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Does this imply that you don't pay tax, so your first post could have just been reduced to "I'm not paying them"?
    I respectfully refuse to answer such petty questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Then they should still be condemned because they shouldn't of been there in the first place.
    Condemmed? Christ, you make it sound as if they were butchering babies.

ReputationRep:
    You used the fact you 'pay for them' as the pivot for your argument *******.

Anyway, not sure if trollin'.

ReputationRep:
    Condemmed? Christ, you make it sound as if they were butchering babies.
    If you want to put such a spin on what I say go ahead. At no point have I compared them to or called them baby butcherer's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Are you a student? Do you actually have a job? Your profile says you are going to Hull uni which leads me to assume you are an average jobless student who doesn't even pay taxes to begin with.

Lighten up *******, you have all your middle age to be a miserable ****.
    ahem - the Student room

ReputationRep:
    Hypothetical situation:

Let's just say the policeman who slid down the hill gets up and manages to stop a mugging. He catches the criminal and he goes with him to the police station. According to you, he should still be punished because he was at the location he wasn't meant to be in, EVEN though he was doing his job when he caught the criminal and what you are paying and expecting him to do. Is that right?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to put such a spin on what I say go ahead. At no point have I compared them to or called them baby butcherer's.
    I think it's evident that there's a world of difference between reprimanding someone and condemning them, which you suggested.

The baby butchers comment was obviously a bit of hyperbole, which in hindsight shouldn't have been included as it allowed you to neatly sidestep the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    ahem - the Student room
    Useless post is useless.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry - but to those moaning - can you honestly say you've never mucked about in work, or used something or your work's property to do something that it isn't strictly there for? Everyone has. Nobody can be a serious working person all of the time, especially in the snow.

If I was there, I'd have cheered them on.

As long as they didn't spend all day doing this, would have answered an emergency call quickly and efficiently had it come through then I honestly don't see the problem. In work yesterday all our staff had a snowman competition against the pub next door, and then we had a giant snowball fight. Our boss included. We have yet to recieve any complaints.

Its a bit of fun in the snow. Stop being such killjoys, it reflects rather badly on your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    Hypothetical situation:

Let's just say the policeman who slid down the hill gets up and manages to stop a mugging. He catches the criminal and he goes with him to the police station. According to you, he should still be punished because he was at the location he wasn't meant to be in, EVEN though he was doing his job and what you are paying and expecting him to do. Is that right?
    It depends entirely on the situation.
    If he saw the mugging, slid down the hill in order to reach the mugger faster, then I would have no problem for this as he is trying to stop a crime. However if he was having a laugh and just happened by pure chance to be in the right situation at the right time, then I would say he should be punished.

How about I've slid down (on a piece of police equipment) for a bit of fun and happened to stop the mugging, do you think because of a bit of 'luck'(so to speak) they'd let me off?

ReputationRep:
    I'd much rather use one to batter some lefties at a riot than sledge down a hill.

ReputationRep:
    It depends entirely on the situation.
    If he saw the mugging, slid down the hill in order to reach the mugger faster, then I would have no problem for this as he is trying to stop a crime. However if he was having a laugh and just happened by pure chance to be in the right situation at the right time, then I would say he should be punished.

How about I've slid down (on a piece of police equipment) for a bit of fun and happened to stop the mugging, do you think because of a bit of 'luck'(so to speak) they'd let me off?
    I'm just glad you aren't in any position of power to make up the rules. Either way, yes they might let you off. You stopped a criminal activity. Through an unorthodox manner but the outcome was still positive.

But I would also wonder why the hell you have any police equipment.

ReputationRep:
    Hah, fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    Holy **** That **** Is ******* Awzum I Wish I Was In The Poleece Forse!!!1!

ReputationRep:
    Looks fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by av2606)
    I hope this is reported on the dailymail so I can laugh at the top rated comments.

Expect to see something like:

"this is gordon browns labour vision of the country, policemen sliding down hills while imigrants are robbing the country and being benefit theifs.. whats happened to this this country.."

(Spelling errors were left in the add to the realism of a daily mail top rated comment)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Useless post is useless.
    I am just pointing out that this is a forum for students, which you seem to have missed, as you were apparently having a go at someone for being a student. Are you a student? If not - why are you on this website?

ReputationRep:
    haha mega.

ReputationRep:
    At least they aren't cowering from snowballs in their polices cars like Sussex Police.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.