Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Soo basically got an email this morning saying I've been unsuccessful in gaining an offer, or even an interview, with Cardiff Uni for the Children's Nursing BN.
    This came as a huge shock, as I was planning to have Cardiff as my second chocie as I loved the University but prefferred the course at Notts.
    I meet all the neccessary entry requirements (which are 5 GCSEs above a C including English, Maths and Science, and 240T points) and I am predicted BCC which are also the grades they are asking for. I achieved CCC at AS. I've also been told my personal statement is very good, as I've done lots of volunteer work, work with young children, currently doing Gold D. of E. and have a lot of involvement at school. I also described what I'd be doing in my gap year (work in a daycare centre to raise funds, then go to Namibia to work on a wildlife santuary, then an orphanage in Thailand finishing with working with elephants at the end).
    I've already sent them an email asking for further information, as the 'letter' they said explaining why I was unsuccessful simply said 'Your application has been unsuccessful' and then started talking about Extra and Clearing.
    Any idea why I've been rejected? I know I should wait for the University to get back to me about it, but every other email I've sent to other Uni's has yet to be replied to so I'm not optimistic about hearing back soon. Any one else have this experience?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I applied for BSc Physio there, and they sent me that standard rejection letter. I got offers from other places, and had also done a previous degree at Cardiff, so I thought they'd be nice to me!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you got rejected but if they don't reply to your email in a few days then you should give them a ring to find out. It's alot harder to ignore a phone call then an email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottiex)
    Soo basically got an email this morning saying I've been unsuccessful in gaining an offer, or even an interview, with Cardiff Uni for the Children's Nursing BN.
    This came as a huge shock, as I was planning to have Cardiff as my second chocie as I loved the University but prefferred the course at Notts.
    I meet all the neccessary entry requirements (which are 5 GCSEs above a C including English, Maths and Science, and 240T points) and I am predicted BCC which are also the grades they are asking for. I achieved CCC at AS. I've also been told my personal statement is very good, as I've done lots of volunteer work, work with young children, currently doing Gold D. of E. and have a lot of involvement at school. I also described what I'd be doing in my gap year (work in a daycare centre to raise funds, then go to Namibia to work on a wildlife santuary, then an orphanage in Thailand finishing with working with elephants at the end).
    I've already sent them an email asking for further information, as the 'letter' they said explaining why I was unsuccessful simply said 'Your application has been unsuccessful' and then started talking about Extra and Clearing.
    Any idea why I've been rejected? I know I should wait for the University to get back to me about it, but every other email I've sent to other Uni's has yet to be replied to so I'm not optimistic about hearing back soon. Any one else have this experience?
    When I applied to Cardiff (diff course but keep reading lol) I was rejected when the requirements were ABB/BBB, so I phoned them and they gave me the general speel that some have to be rejected. But I persisted and they said theyd get my file, then asked what my predicted grades were and I said AAB to which she said with a patronising voice 'are you sure?', obviously I was. They said theyd get back to me and later changed their decision and offered ABB.

So although you may not get the outcome you want, there is hope.

ReputationRep:
    Nursing is competitive, its the way the ball rolls i'm afraid. Are you sure your PS was as good as you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Nursing is competitive, its the way the ball rolls i'm afraid. Are you sure your PS was as good as you think?
    It's not a case of 'as good as I think', my career's advisor told me it was good, espercially with the amount of extra curicular activities I've done, and I related to nursing in everything so it's not a case of not talking enough about wanting to be a nurse.

(Original post by Ciara17)
    I don't know why you got rejected but if they don't reply to your email in a few days then you should give them a ring to find out. It's alot harder to ignore a phone call then an email.
    I'll try caling them if I haven't heard back by monday, thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's not a case of 'as good as I think', my career's advisor told me it was good, espercially with the amount of extra curicular activities I've done, and I related to nursing in everything so it's not a case of not talking enough about wanting to be a nurse.

I'll try caling them if I haven't heard back by monday, thanks

do you have any direct caring work experience? childrens nursing is super competitive

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take it to heart, someone told me there were 6000 applicants that applied this year to study nursing at Cardiff, I'm one of them too! Its true that childrens nursing have so few places at Cardiff, so if you think about it you can be as good as you are but there will always be someone better! Ring them up and see if their reason is legitimate, you migh still have a chance!

ReputationRep:
    do you have any direct caring work experience? childrens nursing is super competitive
    I've worked in a daycare and nursery centre since feb 09, plan to work there during my gap year also to raise funds. I've also been on medical courses, which even though are more geared for medical students were very helpful. I learned how to do things such as take blood, read EEGs and xrays etc, how to suture and the specific techniques used in duturing different areas of the body, how to give an ultrasound and recognise certain organs etc etc etc. I'm also first aid qualified up to Rapid Response, including children's first aid.. In my gap year I'm also planning to work in a Thai orphanage for 2 months as well as a couple of other things. Is this not enough? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgel)
    I wouldn't take it to heart, someone told me there were 6000 applicants that applied this year to study nursing at Cardiff, I'm one of them too! Its true that childrens nursing have so few places at Cardiff, so if you think about it you can be as good as you are but there will always be someone better! Ring them up and see if their reason is legitimate, you migh still have a chance!
    Wow! Really? That's crazy! True though I suppose, I suppose even though I have the entry requirements, plenty of people have probably applied with above that I hope I do still have a chance, though I'm doubtful.. I'm already considering reapplying next year

ReputationRep:
    Give them a ring, OP. There is the tiniest chance ever it may do some good and swing it for you, by showing you're dedicated. The least you deserve is to have a reason, anyway.

Nursing is super competitive, Cardiff is a good uni, and not everyone can get an offer. It's a shame, but some people who are very competent and able just have to be rejected.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked in a daycare and nursery centre since feb 09, plan to work there during my gap year also to raise funds. I've also been on medical courses, which even though are more geared for medical students were very helpful. I learned how to do things such as take blood, read EEGs and xrays etc, how to suture and the specific techniques used in duturing different areas of the body, how to give an ultrasound and recognise certain organs etc etc etc. I'm also first aid qualified up to Rapid Response, including children's first aid.. In my gap year I'm also planning to work in a Thai orphanage for 2 months as well as a couple of other things. Is this not enough? :confused:

Well if you are planning a gap year, maybe its that. Some universities don't like people asking for deferred entry -its a bit weird, but it happens.

ReputationRep:

thats all very well and good, and was that course medilink at all, cause even the nurses consider it crap! lol, but do you have any experience as a childrens nurse? Whats your understanding of being a childrens nurse, was this put across in your ps? Daycare and nursery centre is all very well and said, but what about sick children and those needing medical intervention? Or caring for a child, and working alongside the family and asessing the childs needs?

You've done more than enough, but i'm suggesting maybe your concept of being a childrens nurse, was questionable in the PS? This is possible and an easy mistake many people make when writing their PS, they don't put across what they 'GET' about nursing, and it makes the admissions centre wonder if they really get what is involved! That medical course sounds impressive on paper, but all of those things are very rarely used in nursing! Especially with a 78% drop out rate they need to be scrupulous!

On my cohort, only 12/150 people from all branches were childrens nurses, THATS how competitive it is, and i'm ready to bet 10x that amount of people applied

ReputationRep:
    thats all very well and good, and was that course medilink at all, cause even the nurses consider it crap! lol, but do you have any experience as a childrens nurse? Whats your understanding of being a childrens nurse, was this put across in your ps? Daycare and nursery centre is all very well and said, but what about sick children and those needing medical intervention? Or caring for a child, and working alongside the family and asessing the childs needs?

You've done more than enough, but i'm suggesting maybe your concept of being a childrens nurse, was questionable in the PS? This is possible and an easy mistake many people make when writing their PS, they don't put across what they 'GET' about nursing, and it makes the admissions centre wonder if they really get what is involved! That medical course sounds impressive on paper, but all of those things are very rarely used in nursing! Especially with a 78% drop out rate they need to be scrupulous!

On my cohort, only 12/150 people from all branches were childrens nurses, THATS how competitive it is, and i'm ready to bet 10x that amount of people applied
    Wow, 78% drop out rate? I had no idea it was so high. I did try and contact hospitals about shadowing on a paeds ward, but at the time of applying I wasn't 18 and they said until I was they wouldn't even consider letting me. Just reading over my Ps now though, I can see what you mean about the whole 'what's involved in nursing' aspect. While, trust me, I know what's involved, I didn't actually include that in my PS as to be honest, it never crossed my mind to include that. Thanks though, if i do end up repaplying next year you've been a big help

ReputationRep:
    Wow, 78% drop out rate? I had no idea it was so high. I did try and contact hospitals about shadowing on a paeds ward, but at the time of applying I wasn't 18 and they said until I was they wouldn't even consider letting me. Just reading over my Ps now though, I can see what you mean about the whole 'what's involved in nursing' aspect. While, trust me, I know what's involved, I didn't actually include that in my PS as to be honest, it never crossed my mind to include that. Thanks though, if i do end up repaplying next year you've been a big help

No problem, you have inspired me to write a 'writing your nursing PS' thread...maybe more useful during the summer tho!

ReputationRep:
    No problem, you have inspired me to write a 'writing your nursing PS' thread...maybe more useful during the summer tho!
    Very good idea, I'll definitely be looking it up if needed in the summer And I'll be sure to point anyone else I know whos applying in it's direction :top:

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is super picky, and any little thing could've put you below other applicants. I hope you get in to your other choices/get the grades for Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    isn't the entry requirements for child nursing at cardiff 300 points or a typical profile being BBB?

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/sonms/degre...nts/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alannaa)
    isn't the entry requirements for child nursing at cardiff 300 points or a typical profile being BBB?

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/sonms/degre...nts/index.html
    This thread is over a year old.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.