Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I currently have ABBCab but I'm resitting the BBC and hope to get it up to AAAB.
    That's with an extremely positive outlook! I imagine it's more likely to end up as AABB.

I've picked 3 out of 5 universities so far: Sheffield (ABB), Exeter (AAA) and Cardiff (AAA).
    I'm about to apply to Durham aswell (AAA) but I'm nervous about having only one back up.

I really need a safe 5th choice, preferably another ABB or even AAB, but universities in England (I don't like the Scottish uni system) wanting those grades for english seem really hard to find! Can anyone help me? Please

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Brookes takes ABB. RHUL and QMUL take AAB. There's loads... I think you need to look a bit harder >_>

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham was AAB last year and Leicester was ABB. Take a look at those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sezzy2310)
    Hi, I currently have ABBCab but I'm resitting the BBC and hope to get it up to AAAB.
    That's with an extremely positive outlook! I imagine it's more likely to end up as AABB.

I've picked 3 out of 5 universities so far: Sheffield (ABB), Exeter (AAA) and Cardiff (AAA).
    I'm about to apply to Durham aswell (AAA) but I'm nervous about having only one back up.

I really need a safe 5th choice, preferably another ABB or even AAB, but universities in England (I don't like the Scottish uni system) wanting those grades for english seem really hard to find! Can anyone help me? Please
    What are your GCSE results? I only ask as Durham is extremely competitive for English and look for lot of A*s at GCSE. What are you predicted? English at Sheffield is AAB not ABB...

Are you prepared to do English with something on the side? For example, English and American Studies or English and Theate or English with a modern foreign language? There are many ABB courses that you could choose from as an insurance if so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiderP1g)
    Newcastle?
    Newcastle want AAA for English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Oxford Brookes takes ABB. RHUL and QMUL take AAB. There's loads... I think you need to look a bit harder >_>
    How did you manage to get predicted an A in G&P after getting a D at AS?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths, they're part of the University of London, and I'm sure their offer is ABB.

And maybe consider swapping another of your AAA unis for somewhere like Royal Holloway, who offer AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sezzy2310)
    (I don't like the Scottish uni system)
    shame on you.. why not?

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster is a great uni and they accept AAB with an A grade in English Lit or Lang.

Or what about UEA? That's a lovely uni in a great city and is AAB-ABB You also have to get grade A English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare)
    How did you manage to get predicted an A in G&P after getting a D at AS?! :eek:
    I was predicted an A at AS originally, and my teacher LOVES ME.

ReputationRep:
    Kingston, Plymouth, Swansea, Portsmouth and Reading are all good unis and would make good backups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Adeline-)
    Birmingham was AAB last year and Leicester was ABB. Take a look at those.
    I see you're doing English and Creative Writing...how is it? Where are you doing it at?

ReputationRep:
    Hull is 280 - 320 points for English, or you can do it as a major subject with a minor in creative writing or asa dual honours with creative writing. there is also an English language and literature course available

http://www2.hull.ac.uk/ug/10/english.aspx

ReputationRep:
    I see you're doing English and Creative Writing...how is it? Where are you doing it at?
    Birmingham University and I'm enjoying it. I've always written as a hobby so it's nice to actually have the time and the excuse :p: to focus on something I love.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham University and I'm enjoying it. I've always written as a hobby so it's nice to actually have the time and the excuse :p: to focus on something I love.
    Cool. I love writing aswell and one day, if I'm good enough, would love to be a comedy screenwriter. I am looking into English with Creative Writing but it is extremely competitive. Where else did you apply apart from Birmingham? What you hoping to do when you've finished your degree?

ReputationRep:
    How about a joint degree, OP? Like English with classical studies, philosophy, creative writing, drama, american/european studies, etc. Some of them have lesser entry requirements.

Others have mentioned the universities I'd have suggested looking at, so I don't think I can be of any other use! Good luck with the grades

ReputationRep:
    Cool. I love writing aswell and one day, if I'm good enough, would love to be a comedy screenwriter. I am looking into English with Creative Writing but it is extremely competitive. Where else did you apply apart from Birmingham? What you hoping to do when you've finished your degree?
    You should go for it if that's what you want to do It is competitive- I was interviewed for English and Creative writing at Warwick but didn't get an offer in the end. That's probably the most competitive course. There are 40 places on the Birmingham course and you need AAB so I suppose it's also pretty hard to get a place. If you've got the predicted grades though and a decent personal statement it's worth a shot.

Warwick and Birmingham were the only courses that involve Creative writing that I applied to- the others were general English courses. As for after my degree I don't have any definite plans. Next year we're doing some work on editing so maybe if I like that I'll go down the publishing route. Really though I just chose the course because I wanted to enjoy the next 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    You should go for it if that's what you want to do It is competitive- I was interviewed for English and Creative writing at Warwick but didn't get an offer in the end. That's probably the most competitive course. There are 40 places on the Birmingham course and you need AAB so I suppose it's also pretty hard to get a place. If you've got the predicted grades though and a decent personal statement it's worth a shot.

Warwick and Birmingham were the only courses that involve Creative writing that I applied to- the others were general English courses. As for after my degree I don't have any definite plans. Next year we're doing some work on editing so maybe if I like that I'll go down the publishing route. Really though I just chose the course because I wanted to enjoy the next 3 years.
    Yeah I got Warwick had 37 applications per place last year so you did well to get to interview! What was the interview like? Did they give you any feedback as to why you didn't get made an offer?

Yeah I think I will give Brimingham a go, I am predicted AAB. Did you need to submit a portfolio for Birmingham like you do for Warwick? Yeah enjoying your degree is the most important thing, means you are much more likely to do well in it. Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    What about Reading?
    I just got an AAB offer as my insurance there.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.