Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare)
    Yeah I got Warwick had 37 applications per place last year so you did well to get to interview! What was the interview like? Did they give you any feedback as to why you didn't get made an offer?

Yeah I think I will give Brimingham a go, I am predicted AAB. Did you need to submit a portfolio for Birmingham like you do for Warwick? Yeah enjoying your degree is the most important thing, means you are much more likely to do well in it. Thanks for the help!

It was about a year ago now so I can't remember exactly what we talked about but I was given a few poems to look at beforehand and then we just discussed things I had mentioned in my personal statement. They took a while to decide and I didn't contact them afterwards to ask why I was rejected. It was around March so I was just glad to be able to finally confirm with Birmingham and get the ball rolling with accommodation/ student finance. I suspect though that there were just a lot of good people and I'm not really the kind of person who likes showcasing themselves, whereas others probably were. I'm happy where I am anyway so in the long run I'm glad things worked out the way they did. You don't need a portfolio for Birmingham, or least you didn't last year so you would have to check. It's no problem. PM me anytime if you have any more questions.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for all the help! I left the computer for a few hours to revise and came back to far more replies than I was expecting! So thank you!
    I'm going to take a look at the unis you've all suggested, some of them sound really good- Reading, Royal Holloway, and more.
    I have considered doing a joint degree, like joint with Theology, to lower entry requirements for top unis. I think it may be my best option.

Favourite Worst Nightmare- yeh, sorry, the Sheffield thing is complex. They want Two GCE A Levels plus two GCE AS Levels - AB+AA, including General Studies. I currently have ABBCab, but one of the Bs was an A as AS level, so I have ABaa if you ignore the A2, if that makes sense?

Sambo2- I LOVE Scotland. I would move there in an instant. But I disliked the idea of having to do three subjects for the first two years. Also, the age thing bugs me- I'm on a gap year at the moment, so I would be two years older (more like 3 years, because I'm old in my year) than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sezzy2310)
    Thank you so much for all the help! I left the computer for a few hours to revise and came back to far more replies than I was expecting! So thank you!
    I'm going to take a look at the unis you've all suggested, some of them sound really good- Reading, Royal Holloway, and more.
    I have considered doing a joint degree, like joint with Theology, to lower entry requirements for top unis. I think it may be my best option.

Favourite Worst Nightmare- yeh, sorry, the Sheffield thing is complex. They want Two GCE A Levels plus two GCE AS Levels - AB+AA, including General Studies. I currently have ABBCab, but one of the Bs was an A as AS level, so I have ABaa if you ignore the A2, if that makes sense?

Sambo2- I LOVE Scotland. I would move there in an instant. But I disliked the idea of having to do three subjects for the first two years. Also, the age thing bugs me- I'm on a gap year at the moment, so I would be two years older (more like 3 years, because I'm old in my year) than everyone else.
    Ah okay I understand. What are your GCSE grades though? And what are you predicted? Leicester is good for English and it has English and American Studies at ABB? Leeds is very good for English and they ask for AAB.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs were 3A*s, 7As, 3Bs and a C. Too many (I clearly enjoy torturing myself lol)
    I visited Leeds and wasn't super keen, but my mum went there and loved it. I think I might have to visit Leicester. It's not too far from me, but UCAS deadline is tomorrow =S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sezzy2310)
    My GCSEs were 3A*s, 7As, 3Bs and a C. Too many (I clearly enjoy torturing myself lol)
    I visited Leeds and wasn't super keen, but my mum went there and loved it. I think I might have to visit Leicester. It's not too far from me, but UCAS deadline is tomorrow =S
    UCAS dealine has been extended to 22nd. I wouldn't advise applying to Durham then as they are really fussy about GCSEs! Yours are good but I think they look for a few more A*s than that. I would try Warwick instead, similar reputation but a bit less competitive and they ask for AAB. Manchester came second in the RAE for English so that could be an option and KCL is a top uni that asks for AAB too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonia12345)
    Goldsmiths are part of UAL(university of the arts) not university of London(UCL) and Goldsmiths aren't as good for English as they used to be, plus it's situalted in new cross which is quite a grotty area of London
    Nope! goldsmiths is definitey part of University of London and definitely not part of UAL

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.