The Student Room Group

Re-sitting A-Level Physics

Hi Everyone!
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me regarding re-sitting my A-Level in Physics.

I took my A-Levels about 4 years ago, and unfortunately I didn't achieve the grades that I was capable of. However the University of Leeds accepted me on my chosen course and I proceeded on graduating with a 2:1 Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering (International), in July 2009. However, my poor A-Level grades are now holding me back on securing a career with major companies, as they are not only asking for a minimum of a 2:1 degree but also a minimum number of UCAS points which more often than not, I do not reach.

So I have decided to explore retaking my A-Level in Physics, but I'm not too sure about how to approach it. Would I be able to simply study using my old A-Level material (making sure that it was up to date with the current syllabus), and sit the exams as an external candidate, or would I need to complete coursework which would involve me performing labs etc?

If anyone could get back to me with advice, I would be most grateful! :smile:
Reply 1
do you play a musical instrument? Big UCAS points for grades 6-8 ABRSM.
But otherwise, if you just got a masters in engineering, surely you arent going to find it hard to do a level physics?! its easy even for people who are doing it first time. :tongue: if you dont want to, there are loads of other ways to get UCAS points. DofE awards, stuff like that. Head over to the ucas website and i think they have a list of stuff you can do without doing exams :smile:
Reply 2
Jizkid Jnr
do you play a musical instrument? Big UCAS points for grades 6-8 ABRSM.
But otherwise, if you just got a masters in engineering, surely you arent going to find it hard to do a level physics?! its easy even for people who are doing it first time. :tongue: if you dont want to, there are loads of other ways to get UCAS points. DofE awards, stuff like that. Head over to the ucas website and i think they have a list of stuff you can do without doing exams :smile:

Don't a lot of unis not accept ucas points from musical instruments etc. as part of their offer?
Reply 3
It depends on what exam board you are on. I do CCEA and the syllabus changed two years ago but all the content is the same, it's just the order in which it comes up that's different. Some exam boards are easier than others so it's worth checking out

Latest