Turn on thread page Beta

Was the moral message in Phone Booth (film) right? Should people die for an affair? watch

• View Poll Results: Was the sniper right to punish him even kill him for having an affair?
    Yes
    14.29%
    No
    85.71%
    Unsure
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Phone Booth (film) morality thriller about a man,Stu Shepard, who is held hostage in a telephone booth by a sniper. He is an arrogant publicist, who is contemplating cheating on his wife Kelly.

Was the sniper right to punish him even kill him for having an affair?

Vote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic_007)
    Phone Booth (film) morality thriller about a man,Stu Shepard, who is held hostage in a telephone booth by a sniper. He is an arrogant publicist, who is contemplating cheating on his wife Kelly.

Poll: Yes
    No

The fact that marriage is a man-made concept & we naturally want to **** anything we see leads me to believe that no, the sniper wasn't right.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Nope. It's down to an individual if they feel a need or desire to cheat, not some self-righteous tit packing heat from a hidden upper-storey peep hole on the world. Though if I remember rightly, Stu wasn't targeted solely for his infidelity?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that's the whole reason why the sniper chose him.
    But no, even though I believe cheating is wrong and you shouldn't enter a relationship if you want to be with other people, I don't think you should die for an affair.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Good film. And no.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that was the moral message of Phone Booth to be honest (the point for the sniper was not the affair but the materialism, selfishness and arrogance of his entire life, and besides, the way the man changes and realises what is important to him and does noble things through the course of the film is more important), but no.

(Original post by Steezy)
    The fact that marriage is a man-made concept & we naturally want to **** anything we see leads me to believe that no, the sniper wasn't right.
    Why? Murder is a man-made concept. "Nature" is a man-made concept. I could go on. Just because people naturally want to do something doesn't mean it's ok to do it (see: killing people), and just because something is man-made doesn't mean that disrespecting it is ok (see: any kind of promise whatsoever). Honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    I don't think that was the moral message of Phone Booth to be honest (the point for the sniper was not the affair but the materialism, selfishness and arrogance of his entire life, and besides, the way the man changes and realises what is important to him and does noble things through the course of the film is more important), but no.

Why? Murder is a man-made concept. "Nature" is a man-made concept. I could go on. Just because people naturally want to do something doesn't mean it's ok to do it (see: killing people), and just because something is man-made doesn't mean that disrespecting it is ok (see: any kind of promise whatsoever). Honestly

I'm afraid my views are very different to yours. Murder is not a man-made concept as many other species show this behaviour also. No other species show any sign of punishment for being unfaithful to their mate.

I see the human race as a self-important race which abide by completely different laws and rules which nature stipulates (i.e. no other species follow any other rules than what comes naturally).

We are a species of needless meddling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    "Nature" is a man-made concept.
    How? Just because we name something doesn't mean we made it

ReputationRep:
    No way!

ReputationRep:
    A) The main character didn't die.
    B) It wasn't just because he was having an affair.
    C) ******* awesome film!

ReputationRep:
    That film was awful. The message in films normally isnt as clear cut as "people should die for affairs" I think if their is a message (which i doubt in this one) then your not looking deep enough for it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if said affair resulted in you getting AIDS or some other nasty incurable STD, which you passed onto your unsuspecting partner. :yes:

No, in all other cases.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Crap film btw :erm:

ReputationRep:
    The message is don't do drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    The message is don't do drugs.
    In that case, I originally thought the message was:

DON'T TRUST THE IRISH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic_007)

Vote
    This is a purely "opinion" question, though. Someone who was traumatized as a child, or living in an Islamic nation, might think that yeah, commitment is everything and having an affair should be punishable by death. Nowadays, most Britons see relationships as more fluid, and would not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    In that case, I originally thought the message was:

DON'T TRUST THE IRISH.
    The Irish are drug dealers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birdsong1)
    This is a purely "opinion" question, though. Someone who was traumatized as a child, or living in an Islamic nation, might think that yeah, commitment is everything and having an affair should be punishable by death. Nowadays, most Britons see relationships as more fluid, and would not.
    Yep, swinger clubs are popping up across the country.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.