Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone ever got back with an ex and it worked out? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Question is in the title really, i'm curious to know, when you;ve broken up with someone, then got back together, has it ever worked out for anyone? For what reasons does it work/not work? Did anything have to change?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by work out?
    Happily ever after?
    Then no because they're still alive...

ReputationRep:
    Didnt work for me, too much history.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't work for me.
    If one or both of us had changed it would have worked, but we didn't.
    Looking back, you break up with someone for a reason, of course it isn't going to work out the second time.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't my personal story, as I've never done it. However, my sister was with her boyfriend for about a year, then just before she went off to uni (he's a year younger), he broke up with her, saying that at that point in time their relationship wasn't what they both needed. He explained it well and to be honest, I think his reasons were justified - she was planning on not going to university if they were together, but instead getting a flat with him and working full-time. That's fine for some, but she really is well suited to learning, and university. Her boyfriend knew this, and knew if he broke up with her she'd go, and so he did, he never cared any less for her. However then 6 months down the line they talked more, she was at uni, he was working for money to go to uni the next year - and they got back together. This was about 8months ago, and they're very happy together, and planning on getting a flat between their respective unis so they can live together next year (her final year, his second). Sorry for rambling there!

I think it depends entirely on your reasons for breaking up on whether it'd work again.

ReputationRep:
    It worked for Carrie in the Sex and the City movie :o:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it has.

Most of those people are the ones who move on from the ex and see other people first. If all the feelings from the breakup are still there it won't work.

ReputationRep:
    you will only get bck together if u both really want it but depends on the way you broke up x

ReputationRep:
    After being together nearly three years, my bf dumped me. A couple of weeks later he wanted me back, I said yes. Then a few more months down the line things went downhill and we broke up again. Within a few more weeks we were back together.

A another couple of months down the line I knew our time was over. I left him, it was awful, I felt depressed, lonely, helpless.

Now, I am a stronger, better person. I can look back and see the mistakes in or relationship, and see what the relationship made me become. I am getting on with my life and having a great time :-)

It's called a break up because it's broken. Sometimes all the glue in the world won't fix it.

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    What do you mean by work out?
    Happily ever after?
    Then no because they're still alive...
    I mean for it to go on to long term success, and the original problems that caused the breakup to be resolved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    This isn't my personal story, as I've never done it. However, my sister was with her boyfriend for about a year, then just before she went off to uni (he's a year younger), he broke up with her, saying that at that point in time their relationship wasn't what they both needed. He explained it well and to be honest, I think his reasons were justified - she was planning on not going to university if they were together, but instead getting a flat with him and working full-time. That's fine for some, but she really is well suited to learning, and university. Her boyfriend knew this, and knew if he broke up with her she'd go, and so he did, he never cared any less for her. However then 6 months down the line they talked more, she was at uni, he was working for money to go to uni the next year - and they got back together. This was about 8months ago, and they're very happy together, and planning on getting a flat between their respective unis so they can live together next year (her final year, his second). Sorry for rambling there!

I think it depends entirely on your reasons for breaking up on whether it'd work again.
    Do you think it was the time apart that helped during a changable period in their lives or did something else change that meant it could work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    I mean for it to go on to long term success, and the original problems that caused the breakup to be resolved.
    But again what does long term success mean. If 20 years down the line the relationship ends from a mutual decision, then surely the relationship isn't a success. It's ended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    But again what does long term success mean. If 20 years down the line the relationship ends from a mutual decision, then surely the relationship isn't a success. It's ended.
    There's no point splitting hairs, everyone else seems to have grasped the concept of what I am asking fairly easily.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it was the time apart that helped during a changable period in their lives or did something else change that meant it could work?
    I think the time apart helped. I know that it would have been a lot tougher for them to stay together while my sister was settling in and changing so much, and he was at home not doing the same (just the type of people they are). I think the time apart helped them to get straight in their heads exactly what they wanted, and so they were willing to try harder to keep it, as they'd experienced what it was like to have lost each other.

Just my speculation/opinion, and going on what she's said to me.

ReputationRep:
    There's no point splitting hairs, everyone else seems to have grasped the concept of what I am asking fairly easily.
    I haven't, please explain it to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnnomi)
    :love: Sex and the City wouldn't lie to us!

Also, your sig is really quite adorable!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. We broke up two months in, got back together 6 weeks later, and are still together 8 months after that.

I used to be a strict 'exes are exes for a reason' person, but I'm not so black-and-white anymore. I maintain that 9/10 times it won't work out. But there is always a chance and there are always exceptions to disprove the rule.

ReputationRep:
    Broke up with boyfriend of year and a half for about 3 months, we got back together in the end and its been 2 years since then and we're so much happier now. I think we saw what it was like to lose each other and both made more of an effort.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnnomi)
    Not entirely. They broke up and got back together over and over for years before it FINALLY worked out.

I think their relationship shows that it both doesn't work and does work. It didn't work for them for years and years and then eventually it did, I doubt many people in the real world try again that many times for that many years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyxz)
    Broke up with boyfriend of year and a half for about 3 months, we got back together in the end and its been 2 years since then and we're so much happier now. I think we saw what it was like to lose each other and both made more of an effort.

good luck
    Had either of you met other people during that time, and if so, how did that affect your feelings towards each other and your relationship? Also, was there not a feeling that having been through the pain first time that you couldnt risk going through it again?

Thanks btw peeps, some really useful replies, rep will be given :yes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.