Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone ever got back with an ex and it worked out? watch

ReputationRep:
    no thats making the same mistake twice

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend were together for 4 months, then broke up. Got back together 4 months later and have been together almost a year since then

So yes, it can work.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! My boyfriend and I have broken up four times now, hahahaha, oh dear! However, it's been going really really well since we last got back together, and I'm feeling very optimistic about this time We always break up because he gets anxious and depressed, and then he goes back to normal and we get back together! I don't know why I seem so cheery about this because it's actually quite horrible, but I'm in a brilliant mood today, so do forgive me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    Had either of you met other people during that time, and if so, how did that affect your feelings towards each other and your relationship? Also, was there not a feeling that having been through the pain first time that you couldnt risk going through it again?

Thanks btw peeps, some really useful replies, rep will be given :yes:
    No we didn't meet anyone else.

He was worried about getting back together at first, and that made it a little bit difficult for the first month or so, but after that everything was great and we've had none of the issues from the first time round.

ReputationRep:
    I have... but it didn't work out. The reasons why i broke up with him the first time came flooding back, and the annoying habits were even more annoying :rolleyes: I wouldn't recommend it, but then again my best friend and her boyfriend split up and got back together, and have been together now for another year and a half, stronger than ever.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I think that one day it will work out. We have things to work out but we're still close and care about each other a lot. I didn't fight for him this time because I love him, and I felt I had to let him go and give him a chance to have an epiphany, stop being so indifferent/wimpy and decide to fight for me for once. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but when he's ready he'll sweep me off my feet and we'll be stronger than ever. Or if not, in the future I'll be semi-happy with somebody else but my heart will always belong to the recent ex.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in my case, I DID meet someone else, in fact I was 'with' them for three of those six weeks during the breakup period. Bf didn't meet anyone else. My thing was, I'm ashamed to say, a rebound movement. I broke up with him because the rapport wasn't there, and then found out my ex wanted me back etc. Being with the other guy didn't change my original feelings, he just helped me to not think about it. I should never have got with him of course. But that's life.

I've always believed that if two people love eachother, anything can be overcome. For as long as two people can just breathe and stop... Uh, talk, and listen to what the other is saying, any dark period can be worked out.

Unless it involves cheatin'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirledpeacat1)

It's called a break up because it's broken. Sometimes all the glue in the world won't fix it.

xx
    What about Tesco's superglue? I hear that stuffs pretty sh** hot.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend break up and make up with her boyfriend all the time, the longest being 3 months apart. I know (and I think she does too) that as long as they stay together, they will never break this pattern... They both have faults, and faults that can be rectified, but as long as they are with each other, it'll just repeat over and over again.

Personally, I believe exes are exes for a reason, and it's never a good idea to look back. Unless the problem is one which no longer exist, eg. long-distance, family complications etc, and both people have matured and know what they definitely want the second time around, it may work.

ReputationRep:
    I've never got back with my ex boyfriends. Imo it'd be stupid :p:

ReputationRep:
    Question is in the title really, i'm curious to know, when you;ve broken up with someone, then got back together, has it ever worked out for anyone? For what reasons does it work/not work? Did anything have to change?
    Yip I've done it and needless to say it didn't work out. The story is sooo long so can't be bothered writing it all down. Had problems from the first time we went out then stupidly me got back with him. Then the cow who caused troubles was still trying to split us up with made me angry. She was then out the picture and we moved in together and the relationship was getting worse everyday. Then my bf cheated on me with some tramp. Sigh, never again. I would now, never EVER get back with an ex. Thank god my ex cheated though, I was too scared to end it and didn't love him at that point. I shall now be stronger in relationships from now on lol

Thank you for this thread, it's been nice to read. I feel like I might still be in love with my ex, even though we broke up ages ago, I really miss him and feel like I want to be with him. Maybe I will give it another go?

ReputationRep:
    Question is in the title really, i'm curious to know, when you;ve broken up with someone, then got back together, has it ever worked out for anyone? For what reasons does it work/not work? Did anything have to change?
    Well, in my opinion, it depends.

I was with my girlfriend for just over a year when we broke up. Then, after about two months of being apart, we got back together and we've been together ever since! This time around is so much better than the first and I'm certain I'm more in love with her than I was before, we both did a lot of growing up and the split made us appreciate each other more and realise exactly what we had.

I used to believe that relationships didn't work twice, but since my girlfriend and I...I think that anything's possible

ReputationRep:
    I once got back together with an ex.

It ended a few weeks later, I got bored and realised what a stupid mistake I'd made...if I got bored after the first time what made me think it would be any different the second? I lose interest too quickly, so that's something I need to work on...need to be more patient :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.