Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    maybe u have just accidently copied sentence or two without realising it...stop worrying and phone ucas up x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Yeah, it's totally likely that in an internet café someone in the same year and applying for the same subject would just happen to log onto that PC. :awesome:
    Word.

ReputationRep:
    i thought maybe if i explained my situation on here i may get some help from people my own age group, guess ur more unhelpful then i thought. people are making it sound like im the cheat and yes i believe I may have wrote smething generic the things they have said was similar were sentenced for e.g. about physical activity such as attending the gym, pucliv speaking etc. I thought maybe i could get advice instead, a load of negative comments

ReputationRep:
    I've been on internet cafes and my time has run out while using msn - my msn stays logged in and someone once got my email from it. Your stuff could still be up for the next person.

ReputationRep:
    Serves you right mate

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it wasn't at the internet cafe when it was copied. Did anyone you know read your PS? Did you read any other PSs (on the internet, given to you by school, belonging to your friends etc) before or during writing it? If so, you could have unintentionally written something similar or you could just have written something generic that was similar to other PSs, whether you've read them or not. I would have thought it was unlikely that 8 sentences matched in that way though given how many PSs are submitted each year and how few are singled out by the anti-plagiarism software.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Yeah, it's totally likely that in an internet café someone in the same year and applying for the same subject would just happen to log onto that PC. :awesome:
    I know right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    i thought maybe if i explained my situation on here i may get some help from people my own age group, guess ur more unhelpful then i thought. people are making it sound like im the cheat and yes i believe I may have wrote smething generic the things they have said was similar were sentenced for e.g. about physical activity such as attending the gym, pucliv speaking etc. I thought maybe i could get advice instead, a load of negative comments
    Are you listening to and acting on the people actually trying to give you advice though? Filter out the sarky comments and you've got advice on what to do to help the situation.

ReputationRep:
    leave the kid alone, who's the responsible adult obviously me coz I'm 18 and you lot are 17. I believe you

ReputationRep:
    im thinking, 8 sentences is quite a lot to copy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic_007)
    leave the kid alone, who's the responsible adult obviously me coz I'm 18 and you lot are 17. I believe you
    You're about as responsible as a boiled egg.

ReputationRep:
    No it is possible as we dont know the internet cafe they used, it could of been someone who logged on around the same age who was thinking of applying to uni so thought they would copy it

Doesnt have to be doing the same course as such.

ReputationRep:
    OP: ring up UCAS as soon as and explain the situation. Ask them if possible if they can tell you which lines they were, because it could be as simple as just too many generic phrases used. If it isn't, and you generally believe that the internet cafe was the reason, just explain this and ask what you can do about it. If they don't tell you otherwise then email the unis and explain and ask how it will affect your application.

ReputationRep:
    it could be that u logged in and found that the guy who was using the pc before u left his PS open?

ReputationRep:
    The chances of this excuse being the truth are very small indeed.

The chance that the OP and her friends copied each other PSs is very high indeed.

Like it or not this is how unis will view the situation.

Ring up UCAS and ask if you can write a new personal statement. Try to come up with a better excuse even if it's not true.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's got nothing to do with the internet cafe, stop being so paranoid.

You've obviously written something very generic, first ring UCAS get them to check it, the plagiarism thing is automated so if your sure you didn't copy then you need to get them to look at it. This should sort it out. If not contact the unis and explain things DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE INTERNET CAFE they will think that you have cheated and are lying.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the truthfulness of the OP, doesn't probability -- and the mundanity of our lives/lies -- dictate that some personal statements will be very, very similar?

ReputationRep:
    It probably means its too generic and you might as well try again, since you got a extention, or ask the school for advice, or ring them. Or ring the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    i sent off my ucas and got a re-mail from ucas to say 8 sentences in my epersonal statement is similar to someone else who has applied this year!!!!! my work was my ownnn! i left my personal statement on the internet cafe wen i was doing my work and my time ran out so it remained there for anyone who logged in i think thats how it got to others! omggg im on my gap year and im doomed now, iv applied to 3 uni's so far and now im going to look like a cheat and someone has stole my work!

its a good excuse for them to reject me, what do i do!!!
    Your excuse is BIG FAIL! the probabilities just don't add up to 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    But don't use the 'internet cafe excuse' or else people will believe you're just a cheat crying for sympathy, anways you need to calm down and speak to UCAS. One more thing its only 8 sentences surely you could delete it and write something new and sent it off!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.