Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The thread on skincare routines got me thinking about the fact that I've never used toner :o:. My aunt told me that it's not seen as so necessary now because modern cleansers aren't as heavy as the ones that were around 30 years ago, but I don't know if that's one of those common beaut-related misconceptions like the idea that your hair will grow faster if you trim it regularly.

So, do you use toner, and why? How do you think it improves your skin?

If any of you have dry and fairly sensitive skin, could you recommend one that I could try? I use the Body Shop's Vitamin E range at the moment, so my own first thoughts were to try their toner because I am happy with their cleanser and moisturiser, but I'm always willing to try new things.

ReputationRep:
    i have both dry and sensitive skin. I use 'pure camille water'

the only reason i use it it because i use 'pure camille milk' as a cleanser and the toner was half price :p:

ReputationRep:
    I used to use The Sanctuary rosewater toner and yeah it was nice, cleared away any residue from the cleaner and lifted off even more 'dirt'. It's a good astringent to use as a precurser to moisturiser.

ReputationRep:
    I use toner, its designed to tighten pores but cold water can do that.
    I use Decleor matifying lotion, along with their matifying conditioner, because I have shiny skin. And by using those products, I don't have to cake on so much make-up I have dry and sensitive skin too, and these products have been fine on my skin.
    In fact, those products are my daytime ones; at night, I use Garnier sensitive toner, and a No7 rich moisturiser (your skin absorbs more of it at night so you need more).

ReputationRep:
    I just use boot's own range, does the job

ReputationRep:
    All toners irritate my skin, even those designed for sensitive skin. I find that a splash of cold water is perfect for me.

ReputationRep:
    My skin is horrendously sensitive and I have allergic reactions to a lot of skin care products. I use the Clinique range - the clarifying lotion is a comparatively expensive purchase initially but lasts for months (even used daily) because you don't need a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I use simple face wipes, simple cleanser and simple toner and an aloe moisturiser from the body shop I use it every morning and most nights before bed, one week I used it morning and night without fail every day and my skin was clear and looked more healthy, I had no spots (I usually get a small out break just before my period and this didn't happen when I'd used it twice a day everyday). My skin does look clear and healthy and feels smooth, but I do get the occasional spot every now and then but I think that's because I can't be bothered with the routine if I go on a night out so I miss a night and usually the morning.

ReputationRep:
    I use a toner because I have largeish pores on my nose.. toner tightens them up. after using it for a while I can really say it makes a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    I use toner (most mornings and nights).
    Eau de Roma Water from Lush is great for sensitive skin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    The thread on skincare routines got me thinking about the fact that I've never used toner :o:. My aunt told me that it's not seen as so necessary now because modern cleansers aren't as heavy as the ones that were around 30 years ago, but I don't know if that's one of those common beaut-related misconceptions like the idea that your hair will grow faster if you trim it regularly.

So, do you use toner, and why? How do you think it improves your skin?

If any of you have dry and fairly sensitive skin, could you recommend one that I could try? I use the Body Shop's Vitamin E range at the moment, so my own first thoughts were to try their toner because I am happy with their cleanser and moisturiser, but I'm always willing to try new things.

Toner clears away the excess dirt a cleanser cannot get, it helps close up my pores, tighten them and also leaves my face feeling fresh and revitalised. it has also helped keep blemishes and red patches under control, some people think it dries out their skin when in reality it can also help add moisture if you choose and use the right toner. Plus I'm starting to consider anti-aging products now (noticed some crows feet developing..eeek!) and it helps make my skin feel tighter and also read for moisturiser, smooths it out so to speak

Ooo also good for drying out spots

ReputationRep:
    You could do the job of a toner by splashing cold water over your face - this closes your pores.
    But most work to unclog pores and tighten them further, and generally cleans excess dirt left behind by cleansing.

It's good to use if you have lightly blemish prone skin, i.e. a couple of spots around at any one time, not acne.

I'm currently using Boots Witch hazel and Tea tree toner, and this seems to be doing a good job.

ReputationRep:
    I used to just splash cold water on my face but then discovered that cold water shocks your skin. So I bought the Body Shop's tea tree toner which has made my skin a lot cleaner and clearer

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.