Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Withdrawn from uni but just got loan and grant..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I left university in november, and signed the form officially in uni,i am going to start over in sept however just got my loan and grant 2 grand, i am skint so keeping it seems the right option, but will i get in trouble? and will i have to pay it back this year in full or when i earn over 15 grand..... please help

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure, but my inclination would be to contact student loans company about it. If you're not currently a student, I believe that you could get into trouble for keeping your student funding. Even if you're skint, I'd contact them and perhaps arrange a transfer so you can give it back, and receive your true funding in September. I think you probably should have contacted student finance when you dropped out, with your change of circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    they would want it back if u were in fulltime employment but as u say u r starting over in september i reckon they will just add it on to your debts when you are earning 15 grand plus when you finish uni. at least thats how i understand it. why did u quit anyway?

ReputationRep:
    as far as I remember (my best friend dropped out last year) they ask for most or all of it back (depending on a number of factors, my friend got to keep £220), but it takes them up to 3 months to notice that they shouldn't have paid you so call them and then don't spend the money for a few months as eventually they do ask for some or all of it back

ReputationRep:
    put it in an ISA sharpish.

ReputationRep:
    I remember 6 years ago having this but ringing up and saying even though I left I was still in student accomodation so landlord expected quarterly payment so I used the loan to pay for rent and such and offered to pay what I could back and they were happy.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of the replies , it just seems the right thing to keep it however i know it is wrong, it is their mistake , if i ring up and say i am still in accomodation and rent needs to be payed etc, and will pay back what i can, you think they could let me do that? ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimeeellen1)
    Thanks for all of the replies , it just seems the right thing to keep it however i know it is wrong, it is their mistake , if i ring up and say i am still in accomodation and rent needs to be payed etc, and will pay back what i can, you think they could let me do that? ...
    the right thing to keep it however i know it is wrong, it is their mistake

what a perverted sense of right and wrong!

ReputationRep:
    you will be expected to pay back the full second installment of grant ASAP, and also a fraction of your first grant installment.

The loan I don't think they're too fussed about - more you have & longer you have it the more interest they get in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Well i just been told that my mate got her loan too when she was already dropped out the other week and she got a letter asking for the loan back so she got to keep the grant?
    why would i have to pay back fraction of 1st grant?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is where the Student Finance Loan Companies win.

"Oh yeah free money...i'll just keep it" - NO DOUCHE. It's a LOAN! You pay interest on what you borrow. As you no longer meet the requirements of having a loan you will have to pay it back. Stop being a bum, get a job for crying out loud. Hard facts hurt sometime, but I swear 80% of potential students don't realise A. What a loan is B. How interest works and C. That the more you borrow the more pay back.

C'mon women, switch on.

Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    Just realised also your on about the grant. It is for STUDENTS, therefore as you aren't one anymore, you'll need to pay that back from when you officially finished Uni.

ReputationRep:
    To the idiot who said get a job , soz i have got a job like, just in a dilemma wanted peoples opinions and knowledge of it, so less of the attitude

ReputationRep:
    So how are you skint?

ReputationRep:
    Aren't all students always skint when they have just left uni?

ReputationRep:
    Things to pay for holidays booked, yano just one of them things where you think god i could buy a new car with this ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohello.)
    Aren't all students always skint when they have just left uni?
    not as skint as the ones who've stolen over a grand of taxpayers money they're not entitled too.

ReputationRep:
    If you keep it when you go back to university they will most likely take it off of what you are intitled to.

ReputationRep:
    Hey don't worry, quite a few people who deferred for a year have been paid their loans for this term.
    As far as i'm aware and from reading other threads, speaking to the SLC and other people who this happened to in the past:

- You are entitled to FOUR years of funding, so this counts as one of your four years of funding.
    - You may not have to pay back the Loan - BUT it will be added onto your student debt so you will have to repay it eventually.
    - It is likely that you will need to pay back the Grant but this seems to vary depending on your circumstances.
    - Next year you will be entitled to the same level of funding as you were this year.

Hope you find this helpful! :]

ReputationRep:
    Give the grant back if it's taxpayers money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.