Turn on thread page Beta

Withdrawn from uni but just got loan and grant..... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    not as skint as the ones who've stolen over a grand of taxpayers money they're not entitled too.
    I don't agree that he should keep the grant but him getting a grant and keeping it ain't as bad as the ***** running this country using our money for all the crap they do but that is another debate.

ReputationRep:
    not as skint as the ones who've stolen over a grand of taxpayers money they're not entitled too.
    The person will pay it back eventually anyway :rolleyes: That's over-dramatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueshoes123)
    The person will pay it back eventually anyway :rolleyes: That's over-dramatic.
    why should they be allowed to have an interest free loan, subsidised by tax payers for money to which they are no longer entitled?

ReputationRep:
    Reduced to 0% at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    Its not an interest free loan, its just reduced interest you tard
    Technically, if we're talking about the OP's grant money that he has incorrectly received, it IS acting like an interest free loan as interest isn't charged on grants. It is a loan by the fact that OP will inevitably have to pay it back at some point.

Personally, I think the SLC should charge heavy, highstreet-bank interest on retards who go and blow money they are given when they have dropped out. If they are stupid enough to go and do this, they probably shouldn't be in university anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Technically, if we're talking about the OP's grant money that he has incorrectly received, it IS acting like an interest free loan as interest isn't charged on grants. It is a loan by the fact that OP will inevitably have to pay it back at some point.

Personally, I think the SLC should charge heavy, highstreet-bank interest on retards who go and blow money they are given when they have dropped out. If they are stupid enough to go and do this, they probably shouldn't be in university anyway.
    I'd go further. I'd take legal action. It is clearly fraud and the tax payer can't be expected to allow this to continue at their expense. These people are thieves and must be treated as such.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go further. I'd take legal action. It is clearly fraud and the tax payer can't be expected to allow this to continue at their expense. These people are thieves and must be treated as such.
    Nice idea

Thing is, SLC have enough trouble stopping payments (e.g. when students don't tell them they have left or colleges don't pass the info onto SLC quickly enough)

SLC also do not do (or do not have the resources) to chase genuine loan repayments from students who move address or move overseas very effectively (although this is improving I am told).

I can't see how they could step up their operation to start taking out court proceedings against the thousands of students who leave part way through the academic year

I'm not saying that they do not prosecute. Far from it, but the cases that go to court are usually proper attempts at fraud (e.g. fake ID, multiple applications, fraudulent child care claims etc.) rather than students who think the can keep hold of some money paid to them in error.

My favourite bit of karma is when students think they have pulled a fast one and then fritter the money on stupid things thinking they have got away with it. Then a few months later when the slow wheels or bureaucracy grind on their merry way the SLC repayments department finally catch up with them and ask for it all back.

Now our office is quiet while we wait for 2010/11 applications to start coming in I am taking the time to start identifying these students in my local authority.

I shall let you know how many I find when my report comes back later today

ReputationRep:
    Nevertheless a few well publicised court cases would put an end to the spurious assumption common on here that monies paid in error are yours to keep, or that knowing you aren't entitled to it and then spending it should be no mitigation whatsoever when it comes to repayment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)

Grants are a different issue, but with loans, I would only pay it back if i felt like it, your under no obligation to do so, especially if it was SLC's error that meant you got the money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    Grants are a different issue, but with loans, I would only pay it back if i felt like it, your under no obligation to do so, especially if it was SLC's error that meant you got the money
    You kinda are under obligation. SLC can call in all of the loan at any time if you break the T + C's

Part of the T + C's is that you will inform them of any change in your circumstances.

If a student has done all they can to keep their college and SLC informed and money is still paid to them in error then that's fair enough.

Errors will always occur in any system, but it doesn't mean they can keep the money though.

ReputationRep:
    Nevertheless a few well publicised court cases would put an end to the spurious assumption common on here that monies paid in error are yours to keep, or that knowing you aren't entitled to it and then spending it should be no mitigation whatsoever when it comes to repayment.
    True, true. I think they would have trouble making it stick though.

ReputationRep:
    the SLC allows students to have an extra year of funding which INCLUDES:
    1. a year of retakes (is this a wastes of the taxpayers money too then?)
    2. if the student realises they are not on the right course - they have enough funding so they can defer for a year and return the proceeding year to start a different degree.

also i'd like to point out:
    - around 10 years ago the taxpayer used to pay for ALL tuition fees (even those who dropped out after the second year and never got a degree)
    - these students are the taxpayers of the future, this funding enables them to get a degree which potentially helps them reach a higher salary level which therefore means = they will pay more tax!

so you all need to chill out and start giving constructive advice to people :]

ReputationRep:
    You utter buffoon!
    This is UNTRUE!
    You are totally ignorant of English law.

erm, no im not, you clearly are, you fool.

ReputationRep:
    why should they be allowed to have an interest free loan, subsidised by tax payers for money to which they are no longer entitled?
    Why do you care so much? A very small amount of individual taxes go to that, and it doesn't particularly affect your life one bit.

People can't blame the OP/anyone else for taking advantage of a flawed system. It's taking student finance a few months to even realise people have left university, and that's because they're still sorting out the stuff from last year.

And also since SFE's website itself has no information on what to keep/what to give back if you leave university and there's various threads that say people have been given different answers; they should establish these things properly if they don't want people to take advantage because plenty of people drop out of university.

ReputationRep:
    It's taking student finance a few months to even realise people have left university, and that's because they're still sorting out the stuff from last year.
    This appears to be because people are not notifying the SLC of changes of circumstances. Sure, if you notified them and the notification is caught up in some backlog, that's different, but just expecting someone else to hold your hand and do it all for you is a bit off, I think.

(Original post by aimeeellen1)
    it is their mistake ,
    It isn't - you didn't notify them.
    Even if you did, (IANAL) the law doesn't allow one party to benefit from a genuine mistake on the part of another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    This appears to be because people are not notifying the SLC of changes of circumstances. Sure, if you notified them and the notification is caught up in some backlog, that's different, but just expecting someone else to hold your hand and do it all for you is a bit off, I think.
    A lot of people are notifying them and forms are being 'lost' (according to SF) just from reading the threads. And the forms that are looked at, are going to take a while to be processed because they're still sorting some apps for some people who went to uni in september.

And i don't understand why the university itself can't notify them anyway? Then they'd know the precise time people left.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are notifying them and forms are being 'lost' (according to SF) just from reading the threads. And the forms that are looked at, are going to take a while to be processed because they're still sorting some apps for some people who went to uni in september.

And i don't understand why the university itself can't notify them anyway? Then they'd know the precise time people left.
    The uni does have to notify SLC of the last date of attendance but sometimes they are unable to do this in good time.

Each university is different but in many cases they are unable to confirm a students withdrawal straight away - some unis say that they have to wait for the student to officially withdraw (usually involves some sort of form, rather than the student just not going in any more).

I have also had many cases where the student tells their tutor they are leaving but then the tutor doesn't bother to inform the registry.

The student thinks they have done everything they need to but in reality the need to tell the registry/admissions department they are dropping out.

Even then, there are many unis and colleges that are slow to get the paperwork sent to the students LEA (for old students) or SFE (for new students)

The student also has an obligation to tell SFE straight away so that they can at least get any further instalments blocked while they wait for the official notice of withdrawal from the uni to be sent and then processed.

The system is getting better though. Unis now have the option to sign up to an online system where they can inform SFE directly of a students change in circumstances rather than emailing or posting a form.

This is a voluntary scheme but will be compulsory for all unis and colleges by then end of this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASCIIcipher)
    The system is getting better though. Unis now have the option to sign up to an online system where they can inform SFE directly of a students change in circumstances rather than emailing or posting a form.

This is a voluntary scheme but will be compulsory for all unis and colleges by then end of this year.
    That makes sense! That way student finance know automatically and forms aren't lost and students can't be accused of not sending something. I mean, i know there are a lot of reasons why someone would want to keep the money and it doesn't matter to me one bit, but if the opportunity wasn't there to have the money then people wouldn't take advantage of it.

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense! That way student finance know automatically and forms aren't lost and students can't be accused of not sending something. I mean, i know there are a lot of reasons why someone would want to keep the money and it doesn't matter to me one bit, but if the opportunity wasn't there to have the money then people wouldn't take advantage of it.
    Yep, it will speed things up a lot.

Students still have to do their part and tell their uni and SFE that they are leaving and not just assume that it will be done for them.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.