Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

In terms of finding a job, what is more important? watch

ReputationRep:
    Your undergraduate degree or your MA (if you have one)? Basically, I have an offer from an Oxbridge college (I don't want to say where, please don't ask) to study English. I also have an offer from a much less well-reputed university (it's still good, but it's not really in the league of Bristol/Warwick/Durham tbh), which is where I think I want to go (various reasons, it's not that important). The thing is, and I know it shouldn't matter but it does to me a little bit, I'm worried about what will happen after university. I will very probably want to do an MA - say I went to the less good uni for my undergraduate degree, and then got an MA from somewhere better (i.e. Oxford or Cambridge, hopefully), what would be the one that prospective employers would care about? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I meant to post anon, fail.

ReputationRep:
    Also fail with the thread title... I was going to make a joke, but thought I'd restrain myself

Edit: Actual advice...
    University can be a miserable time if you choose the wrong university, so make sure the one you choose, you choose for the right reasons. Choosing somewhere purely for the prestige is not always a good idea (although not always bad either). In your position, it would entirely depend on how much worse than Oxbridge the other university is. I think that with most universities, I'd say go where you're happiest, but with Oxbridge it just opens SO many doors that are otherwise closed for you. However if you feel there's a chance you'd rather do an MA at somewhere like Oxbridge (quite competitive) instead, then I think that'd rule out any difference in you choosing this other uni over Oxbridge for your degree.

In your position I think I'd suck it up and choose the Oxbridge college, but then the most important thing is for you to be happy - if you feel you'd be significantly happier at the other uni, choose there - it is a good 3/4 years of your life, so you must enjoy them.

ReputationRep:
    You can't post anon in the university forums.

As for how much it matters, have a quick search through previous threads. The general conclusion seems to be that 'it matters to some employers and not others, but generally, it matters less than you might think'. Do you have any thoughts on what career you might want to pursue? Your university definitely shouldn't matter when it comes to an MA application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    Also fail with the thread title... I was going to make a joke, but thought I'd restrain myself
    Oh god. TSR fail, I'm such an idiot. Thanks for the restraint - appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    You can't post anon in the university forums.

As for how much it matters, have a quick search through previous threads. The general conclusion seems to be that 'it matters to some employers and not others, but generally, it matters less than you might think'. Do you have any thoughts on what career you might want to pursue? Your university definitely shouldn't matter when it comes to an MA application.
    Its not the MA application I'm talking about, its hypothetical job applications. I don't know, maybe journalism, teaching or working for a charity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaspberryJelly)
    Its not the MA application I'm talking about, its hypothetical job applications. I don't know, maybe journalism, teaching or working for a charity.
    I know, I was just trying to reassure you in case you were considering some kind of academic or research-based career (in which recruiters/assessors generally couldn't give a monkeys about your university provided you were taught rigorously and did well). As far as teaching goes I believe the same applies, and in my limited experience of charities, lobby groups etc the same is the case. I would say though that the name will probably count in journalism, insofar as Oxbridge provides fantastic networking opportunities within the arts and media.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.