The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Q_M
Ah my two A's in English let me down yet again. I'm not usually into Grammar policing but couldn't resist because of the point they were making at the time.

I don't usually do it either. I just couldn't resist the temptation of picking someone up on their spelling when they were picking someone else up on their spelling =P
Reply 21
The_Goose
I don't usually do it either. I just couldn't resist the temptation of picking someone up on their spelling when they were picking someone else up on their spelling =P

Hope you ment to put a full stop at the end of that post :biggrin:

p.s. I knew when I as writing my reply that you would say that.:biggrin: :biggrin: Kinda hoped you wouldnt notice lol.
Reply 22
Q_M
Can't tell if your appauling grammer/spelling in your post is a joke or serious?

Either way no its not ok. If you can't be arsed to write a little about yourself for a uni to understand a little bit about you then you shouldnt be going to uni and the place should be given to someone who actually cares.

do you mean appalling grammar by any chance? :awesome:
Q_M
Hope you ment to put a full stop at the end of that post :biggrin:

p.s. I knew when I as writing my reply that you would say that.:biggrin: :biggrin: Kinda hoped you wouldnt notice lol.

I don't tend to put a smiley and a full stop. They upset the smileys and make them sad. See? =(.
Doubt anyone'll find out and it's not as if the acual info in the PS is false. Shows good initiative actually.
Reply 25
The_Goose
I don't tend to put a smiley and a full stop. They upset the smileys and make them sad. See? =(.

My computer seems to be adding random smiley things wherever it likes!
Reply 26
Nfixlol
do you mean appalling grammar by any chance? :awesome:

Its already been picked up, but well done anyway. :smile:
So, back on topic. Is there actually anything on UCAS which says you have to write your own personal statement? I can't remember!
Reply 28
oi, write your own personal statement like a proper cork person lol
Reply 29
It all depends on what they are taking. If they are taking something like Law or English then it could give them an unfair advantage but if they are taking something less academic then it might not make too much of a difference.
Reply 30
LetoKynes
His/her loss, it'll probably show during the interview :p:

I actually really doubt it. I wrote my personal statement with the whole "individually tailored"-******** in mind, and when I came for an interview I was asked the same questions as everyone else (heard about them in the waiting room, deliberately didn't use that information to gain an unfair advantage. ~_~).
phen
I actually really doubt it. I wrote my personal statement with the whole "individually tailored"-******** in mind, and when I came for an interview I was asked the same questions as everyone else (heard about them in the waiting room, deliberately didn't use that information to gain an unfair advantage. ~_~).

How would you have gained an unfair advantage? Likeeee what questions?
Reply 32
good if u can pull it off......if caught than u r screwed.......2 of my friends payed £28 to their tutor (they both have same tutor) to 'improve' their statement but the tutor 'improved' it such that it was a damn good PS....none of them got caught so there u go......
Reply 33
BrightGirl
How would you have gained an unfair advantage? Likeeee what questions?

By knowing the questions they had asked other people, I could have prepared myself for them in advance, which would be unfair as it'd give me an edge.

What questions..? Does it matter? :\
phen
By knowing the questions they had asked other people, I could have prepared myself for them in advance, which would be unfair as it'd give me an edge.

What questions..? Does it matter? :\

Well personally I don't see how that could have given you an unfair advantage. A personal statement is personal to you, and if they ask you questions on it, you either know it or you don't. You shouldn't have to prepare answers about yourself :confused:
Q_M
Can't tell if your appauling grammer/spelling in your post is a joke or serious?

Either way no its not ok. If you can't be arsed to write a little about yourself for a uni to understand a little bit about you then you shouldnt be going to uni and the place should be given to someone who actually cares.

Hee hee, irony. Appalling grammar!
Edit: my bad, I'm a bit slow with it. No offence meant Q_M :smile:

I have no moral issue with it, she can do what she likes really. It'll show at interview/with her grades - but if everything on the PS is true, I see no harm in it...
Reply 36
BrightGirl
Well personally I don't see how that could have given you an unfair advantage. A personal statement is personal to you, and if they ask you questions on it, you either know it or you don't. You shouldn't have to prepare answers about yourself :confused:

Oh, I'm talking physics-related questions here. I suppose that was a bit ambiguous given the thread topic..

What I meant was that I didn't get anything "individually tailored" to me. I was asked only one very short question about one of the books I read. I had in fact made my PS so that there was some space to ask questions about some of the things I mentioned, because that's what I thought would be used to "individually tailor" the interview (based on a multitude of information sheets and whatnot).
What a disappointment that was. My interviews were both ridiculously short as well. One was below 20 minutes (like 15 minutes) and the other was about 20 minutes.
And it was as if I applied to physics instead of natural sciences. I was only asked ONE chemistry question, which lasted about three minutes AT BEST.

:<
phen
Oh, I'm talking physics-related questions here. I suppose that was a bit ambiguous given the thread topic..

What I meant was that I didn't get anything "individually tailored" to me. I was asked only one very short question about one of the books I read. I had in fact made my PS so that there was some space to ask questions about some of the things I mentioned, because that's what I thought would be used to "individually tailor" the interview (based on a multitude of information sheets and whatnot).
What a disappointment that was. My interviews were both ridiculously short as well. One was below 20 minutes (like 15 minutes) and the other was about 20 minutes.
And it was as if I applied to physics instead of natural sciences. I was only asked ONE chemistry question, which lasted about three minutes AT BEST.

:<

Oh right, I thought you were talking about just the PS, sorry. :colondollar:

Ah I see... but you actually wanted more chem :afraid:? Maybe you focused more on physics in your statement... :dontknow: Seems a bit unfair about the shortness though. :frown:
Reply 38
meh, I'm not bothered by it.
I helped my brother with his (wrote 2 paragraphs and edited things) and wrote most of his girlfriends for a few quid.
Reply 39
ceeeeej
oi, write your own personal statement like a proper cork person lol

Hey I did I just heard about someone who did it! Where you from?:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending