Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Ah my two A's in English let me down yet again. I'm not usually into Grammar policing but couldn't resist because of the point they were making at the time.

I don't usually do it either. I just couldn't resist the temptation of picking someone up on their spelling when they were picking someone else up on their spelling =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    I don't usually do it either. I just couldn't resist the temptation of picking someone up on their spelling when they were picking someone else up on their spelling =P
    Hope you ment to put a full stop at the end of that post

p.s. I knew when I as writing my reply that you would say that. Kinda hoped you wouldnt notice lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Can't tell if your appauling grammer/spelling in your post is a joke or serious?

Either way no its not ok. If you can't be arsed to write a little about yourself for a uni to understand a little bit about you then you shouldnt be going to uni and the place should be given to someone who actually cares.
    do you mean appalling grammar by any chance? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Hope you ment to put a full stop at the end of that post

p.s. I knew when I as writing my reply that you would say that. Kinda hoped you wouldnt notice lol.
    I don't tend to put a smiley and a full stop. They upset the smileys and make them sad. See? =(.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt anyone'll find out and it's not as if the acual info in the PS is false. Shows good initiative actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    I don't tend to put a smiley and a full stop. They upset the smileys and make them sad. See? =(.

My computer seems to be adding random smiley things wherever it likes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nfixlol)
    do you mean appalling grammar by any chance? :awesome:
    Its already been picked up, but well done anyway.

ReputationRep:
    So, back on topic. Is there actually anything on UCAS which says you have to write your own personal statement? I can't remember!

ReputationRep:
    oi, write your own personal statement like a proper cork person lol

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what they are taking. If they are taking something like Law or English then it could give them an unfair advantage but if they are taking something less academic then it might not make too much of a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    His/her loss, it'll probably show during the interview :p:
    I actually really doubt it. I wrote my personal statement with the whole "individually tailored"-******** in mind, and when I came for an interview I was asked the same questions as everyone else (heard about them in the waiting room, deliberately didn't use that information to gain an unfair advantage. ~_~).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    I actually really doubt it. I wrote my personal statement with the whole "individually tailored"-******** in mind, and when I came for an interview I was asked the same questions as everyone else (heard about them in the waiting room, deliberately didn't use that information to gain an unfair advantage. ~_~).
    How would you have gained an unfair advantage? Likeeee what questions?

ReputationRep:
    good if u can pull it off......if caught than u r screwed.......2 of my friends payed £28 to their tutor (they both have same tutor) to 'improve' their statement but the tutor 'improved' it such that it was a damn good PS....none of them got caught so there u go......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    How would you have gained an unfair advantage? Likeeee what questions?
    By knowing the questions they had asked other people, I could have prepared myself for them in advance, which would be unfair as it'd give me an edge.

What questions..? Does it matter? :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    By knowing the questions they had asked other people, I could have prepared myself for them in advance, which would be unfair as it'd give me an edge.

What questions..? Does it matter? :\
    Well personally I don't see how that could have given you an unfair advantage. A personal statement is personal to you, and if they ask you questions on it, you either know it or you don't. You shouldn't have to prepare answers about yourself :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Can't tell if your appauling grammer/spelling in your post is a joke or serious?

Either way no its not ok. If you can't be arsed to write a little about yourself for a uni to understand a little bit about you then you shouldnt be going to uni and the place should be given to someone who actually cares.
    Hee hee, irony. Appalling grammar!
    Edit: my bad, I'm a bit slow with it. No offence meant Q_M

I have no moral issue with it, she can do what she likes really. It'll show at interview/with her grades - but if everything on the PS is true, I see no harm in it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Well personally I don't see how that could have given you an unfair advantage. A personal statement is personal to you, and if they ask you questions on it, you either know it or you don't. You shouldn't have to prepare answers about yourself :confused:
    Oh, I'm talking physics-related questions here. I suppose that was a bit ambiguous given the thread topic..

What I meant was that I didn't get anything "individually tailored" to me. I was asked only one very short question about one of the books I read. I had in fact made my PS so that there was some space to ask questions about some of the things I mentioned, because that's what I thought would be used to "individually tailor" the interview (based on a multitude of information sheets and whatnot).
    What a disappointment that was. My interviews were both ridiculously short as well. One was below 20 minutes (like 15 minutes) and the other was about 20 minutes.
    And it was as if I applied to physics instead of natural sciences. I was only asked ONE chemistry question, which lasted about three minutes AT BEST.

:< [/frustration]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    Oh, I'm talking physics-related questions here. I suppose that was a bit ambiguous given the thread topic..

What I meant was that I didn't get anything "individually tailored" to me. I was asked only one very short question about one of the books I read. I had in fact made my PS so that there was some space to ask questions about some of the things I mentioned, because that's what I thought would be used to "individually tailor" the interview (based on a multitude of information sheets and whatnot).
    What a disappointment that was. My interviews were both ridiculously short as well. One was below 20 minutes (like 15 minutes) and the other was about 20 minutes.
    And it was as if I applied to physics instead of natural sciences. I was only asked ONE chemistry question, which lasted about three minutes AT BEST.

:< [/frustration]
    Oh right, I thought you were talking about just the PS, sorry.

Ah I see... but you actually wanted more chem :afraid:? Maybe you focused more on physics in your statement... :dontknow: Seems a bit unfair about the shortness though.

ReputationRep:
    meh, I'm not bothered by it.
    I helped my brother with his (wrote 2 paragraphs and edited things) and wrote most of his girlfriends for a few quid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceeeeej)
    oi, write your own personal statement like a proper cork person lol
    Hey I did I just heard about someone who did it! Where you from?

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.