Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that admission tutors pay close attention to grammar when deciding when to offer students. They are more than aware that most people get somebody else to sort out their English and help them word certain parts of their PS (whether it be a parent or a teacher).

In fact, i'd go as far to say that the personal statement is probably the least important factor to them of your application after reference and grades.

ReputationRep:
    It's lazy yes, but it's also dishonest as you are deceiving the person on the receiving end of your application who will think it is in your own hand. For that reason I don't think it's okay at all. Going by fairness, of course it's not okay (but since when did anyone care about fairness? :rolleyes:).

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it is good to write in personal statement: "I think that my knowledge and interest make me a good candidate for the subject."? Isn't it too self/confident? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcolemann5)
    So I heard of someone who paid a person to write their personal statement for them! It was apparently really good and was all about them just in better english! Don't think it's fair giving an unfair advantage really.

Just wondering what ye think bout doing something like this?
    I did this for a friend and don't see anything wrong with it. She didn't pay me though lol. She wrote a draft and I redrafted it and added in stuff, she was too modest to write enough about herself :p:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that it's OK.

I would always wonder whether the person who wrote it has or will use pretty much the same thing for someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    His/her loss, it'll probably show during the interview
    Interviews are only for select courses now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Oh right, I thought you were talking about just the PS, sorry.

Ah I see... but you actually wanted more chem :afraid:? Maybe you focused more on physics in your statement... :dontknow: Seems a bit unfair about the shortness though.
    Well, I don't think that's why I was asked so many physics questions. This is for two reasons:
    1. Everybody was asked these questions.. they were almost all physics questions. I barely heard of any chemistry questions;
    2. I was even asked whether I see myself more as a chemist or as a physicist (or well, something along those lines). I said I saw myself more as a chemist but with a lot of interest in physics (something along those lines, anyway.. the details aren't that important).

So, again, it didn't at all feel "individually tailored" (I've come to dislike these words quite badly).

And yeah I don't really have the feeling that they gave me the time to 'get into it'. Sure, a lot of people will have the feeling it was over before it begun, but.. just a little over 15 minutes.. gah.

(Original post by ed_jnr)

In fact, i'd go as far to say that the personal statement is probably the least important factor to them of your application after reference and grades.
    What do you mean to say, exactly? :s I'm pretty sure you don't mean grades and reference are THE least important, with the personal statement being a bit more important than those two...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    What do you mean to say, exactly? :s I'm pretty sure you don't mean grades and reference are THE least important, with the personal statement being a bit more important than those two...
    I meant that grades are the most important, followed by the reference, with the personal statement being the least important.

Sorry about the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    Well, I don't think that's why I was asked so many physics questions. This is for two reasons:
    1. Everybody was asked these questions.. they were almost all physics questions. I barely heard of any chemistry questions;
    2. I was even asked whether I see myself more as a chemist or as a physicist (or well, something along those lines). I said I saw myself more as a chemist but with a lot of interest in physics (something along those lines, anyway.. the details aren't that important).

So, again, it didn't at all feel "individually tailored" (I've come to dislike these words quite badly).

And yeah I don't really have the feeling that they gave me the time to 'get into it'. Sure, a lot of people will have the feeling it was over before it begun, but.. just a little over 15 minutes.. gah..
    Aw, maybe they wanted to ask everyone the same for comparisons? Oh well, good luck for St A's - awesome uni. I applied there too! (but they haven't replied yet :shifty:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Aw, maybe they wanted to ask everyone the same for comparisons? Oh well, good luck for St A's - awesome uni. I applied there too! (but they haven't replied yet :shifty:)
    Yeah, I guess.. whatever there reason was, it's irrelevant now!
    Thanks! I really really hope to get an offer from St Andrews.. I'd be more than happy to study there instead!

And yeah, they're pretty slow... being a Scottish uni and everything..

ReputationRep:
    You've got to be a bit of a pleb to base your academic future on something someone apparently wrote for you. You won't know if it's all new, if you can relate well in the interview, or even if it's not plagiarism by the writer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I did I just heard about someone who did it! Where you from?
    gurranabraher, not my fault lol

ReputationRep:
    not gonna lie, i loved writing my PS - i think it's a good experience, having to write about yourself in limited space! the true you won't come through if someone else writes it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceeeeej)
    gurranabraher, not my fault lol
    haha not that bad lol im near kinsale! so where you applied?

ReputationRep:
    haha not that bad lol im near kinsale! so where you applied?
    i got into manchester for secondary teaching i already went to ucc so i can't wait to get out of cork tbh!! what are you going doing? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    i got into manchester for secondary teaching i already went to ucc so i can't wait to get out of cork tbh!! what are you going doing? :woo:
    Congrats on manchester! eh know the feeling of wanting to leave lol ive applied for dentistry in london leeds liverpool nd sheffield. got an interview in leeds in 2 weeks! wat ya study in UCC?:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on manchester! eh know the feeling of wanting to leave lol ive applied for dentistry in london leeds liverpool nd sheffield. got an interview in leeds in 2 weeks! wat ya study in UCC?:yes:
    good luck in the interview!! it'd be great to get it like. i like london and leeds out of those four. i did irish and geography, kinda ironic i know seeing as i won't be able to use irish now :eek:

ReputationRep:
    good luck in the interview!! it'd be great to get it like. i like london and leeds out of those four. i did irish and geography, kinda ironic i know seeing as i won't be able to use irish now :eek:
    oh but you can lol not ever hold a conversation in irish about someone like sitting on the tube or anything! briliant! conas a ta tu? ni raibh mo gaeilge go maith ta bron orm! an mait leat manchaster? :p:

ReputationRep:
    oh but you can lol not ever hold a conversation in irish about someone like sitting on the tube or anything! briliant! conas a ta tu? ni raibh mo gaeilge go maith ta bron orm! an mait leat manchaster? :p:
    lol, i'm gonna go around to people and be all , cailin bainne bothar caca milis, or fado fado chuig an char o smacht!! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    All UCAS personal statements are now scanned for simularity. If it bears more than a 10% resemblance to a statement previously submitted, all the Universities will be informed - and no instituion is going to make an offer to a plagiarist.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.