Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do Scottish Unis make you do 4 Year Degrees? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me since I prefer 3 year degrees. Why is this the case? Why the extra year?

ReputationRep:
    Because the Scots are a little slow and it takes an extra year for things to sink in.

ReputationRep:
    Scottish students don't go through the same intensive courses at college so they have more of a requirement to build their knowledge at university. Scottish Universities are primarily for Scottish students so thats why they deal with their needs as a priority. Well at least thats what I was told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Because the Scots are a little slow and it takes an extra year for things to sink in.
    We actually going to uni a year younger than English people do if you could be bothered to not be rude.

ReputationRep:
    Most Scottish students are younger than the English, A levels are also 'harder', the first year allows student to be on the same kind of level. Also you pick 3 different subjects in a lot of courses in first year in Scotland, in England you just do your chosen subject throughout your time at uni

ReputationRep:
    I may be mistaken but I think the 4th year is your 'honours' year. You can quit after 3 but then you'd only get a pass with no possibility of a 1st or 2:1 or whatever. It's just a different system.

ReputationRep:
    Scots finish school a year earlier, the entire schooling system is different right from primary school. The extra year gets everyone up to the same level. The universities also follow a more liberal arts (ish) system in the first two years. For some science courses it is possibly to be granted second year entry if your grades are good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    The whole "A levels are harder" thing is a bit irrelevant for me - I don't know anyone on my course that hasn't done advanced highers (above A-level in most subjects) and most of the class has advanced higher maths. I don't and frankly the course is very difficult to catch up on from that starting point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiderP1g)
    :yes:
    You are vile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    Scots finish school a year earlier, the entire schooling system is different right from primary school. The extra year gets everyone up to the same level. The universities also follow a more liberal arts (ish) system in the first two years. For some science courses it is possibly to be granted second year entry if your grades are good enough.
    Hi

When you say earlier do you mean even after a Sixth Year?

ReputationRep:
    Because who the hell wouldn't want to prolong the fun of being a student??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohello.)
    You are vile.
    Oh come on, it was quite funny. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Because who the hell wouldn't want to prolong the fun of being a student??
    Someone who doesn't want an extra year's worth of debt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoshua)
    Hi

It is rare for an English student to start university before they are 18, whilst it is very common in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoshua)
    Hi

The majority of people going into uni in Scotland are 17 even after a sixth year.

Everyone I know from England that graduated this year is a year older than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    The whole "A levels are harder" thing is a bit irrelevant for me - I don't know anyone on my course that hasn't done advanced highers (above A-level in most subjects) and most of the class has advanced higher maths. I don't and frankly the course is very difficult to catch up on from that starting point.
    Well apply for second year entry then? Also I know a few people who have got exemptions from some classes/exams because they have advanced highers. At my school, most people did more highers in 6th than advanced highers I'd say, (unless they were doing medicine and the like, adv history was a popular course though at the beginning there was like 33 people in it :/) Apart from that though the advanced classes were quite small and my school is a good'un.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiderP1g)
    Someone who doesn't want an extra year's worth of debt!
    We don't pay fees :p:

Also, it lets us be more flexible. I've already changed my course once, it lets us get the framework points etc if we need to swap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    We don't pay fees :p:

Also, it lets us be more flexible. I've already changed my course once, it lets us get the framework points etc if we need to swap
    I hate you. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohello.)
    The majority of people going into uni in Scotland are 17 even after a sixth year.

Everyone I know from England that graduated this year is a year older than me.
    Sadly I will 18 when I start :rolleyes: My birthday is June of this year.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.