Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Should we not be encouraging more minimal lifestyles in our society? Less consumption, more study, more self improvement etc...

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say so. Everyone makes their own choices in life, we shouldn't be 'encouraging' anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about more study and self-improvement, but the world could certainly do with fewer people.

ReputationRep:
    And have a silly rule like the one child rule they have in China?

No thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Very poor people should have no children, poor people should have no more than one child, middle people can have two or three children, rich people could have more.

ReputationRep:
    It would make more evolutionary sense if you killed the children of others when worried about resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    And have a silly rule like the one child rule they have in China?

No thanks.
    sorry for being off-topic, but is the clip in your sig real?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind how many kids someone has as long as they have the money to keep them. One major disagreement I have with my mother everytime I go home is that she thinks that if you have kids then you should get more money for doing the same job as someone with no kids... oh that drives me insane!? I get so indignant and will not leave it rest when that subject comes up!!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    It would make more evolutionary sense if you killed the children of others when worried about resources.
    Not really, as doing so in a modern society is likely to affect one's own ability to reproduce -- as you'll either be killed in return or locked up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to make myself popular but I think having a large family is very self-indulgent. It is also very selfish if you don't have the money to support it and have to claim this from the welfare state.

In no way should this country be like China but people should have the consideration not to excess.

I do know people who have come from large families and they haven't received extra benefits apart from the basic family allowance etc. So not all large families are dole freeloaders. My point is that it is usually self indulgent and some people fail to consider a child has before they have one.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean large as in overweight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    I'm not going to make myself popular but I think having a large family is very self-indulgent. It is also very selfish if you don't have the money to support it and have to claim this from the welfare state.

In no way should this country be like China but people should have the consideration not to excess.

I do know people who have come from large families and they haven't received extra benefits apart from the basic family allowance etc. So not all large families are dole freeloaders. My point is that it is usually self indulgent and some people fail to consider a child has before they have one.
    True my friend is from a middle class family but as he had about 9 other siblings his family ended up so badly off he told me a tin of beans was a luxury item each as normally it was like 1 tin between 2-3 people.

However I dont think its all about income as any income should not take away your right to have a child but anyone should be considerate of what a child costs especially in the last 10 years when they have become all spoiled and pampered.

ReputationRep:
    Its no government or individual's business how many children I choose to have, unless I try to force someone else to pay for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Not really, as doing so in a modern society is likely to affect one's own ability to reproduce -- as you'll either be killed in return or locked up.
    I uh right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    True my friend is from a middle class family but as he had about 9 other siblings his family ended up so badly off he told me a tin of beans was a luxury item each as normally it was like 1 tin between 2-3 people.

However I dont think its all about income as any income should not take away your right to have a child but anyone should be considerate of what a child costs especially in the last 10 years when they have become all spoiled and pampered.
    The second paragraph is all true, exactly what I was trying to say. In 50 years kids will be telling their Grandkids, "When I was a lad all I had was a Laptop, an iPhone, a Wii, an XBox 360, a PS3 and a wardrobe full of designer clothes.

ReputationRep:
    As long as people can afford to have kids and not rely on the government then fine by me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I uh right.
    You're still free to try it, if you wish, though...

ReputationRep:
    I think you've really got to decide whether you can afford it. I think every child should have the best of what their parents can give them. If you're super rich, then you can give that to more children than those not so well off.

It's selfish of those people with no income etc to have 3,4+ children, they may later find out they genuinely can't afford to raise them comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thread :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    i think three should be the maximum

what do you think
    I think if parents are able to support their children financially and otherwise I see no reason why they should be limited to 3 or less, or limited at all.

If they are able to support their kids there is no real issue.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.