Turn on thread page Beta

I found an ipod on the floor - How can I return it? watch

ReputationRep:
    It's name is Ruthless - Not that helpful... And no photos/notes or contacts. None of their music is from itunes so I can't get the email adress from that. I would/might put posters up, but will have to wait for the weather to improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jobrinky)
    It's name is Ruthless - Not that helpful... And no photos/notes or contacts. None of their music is from itunes so I can't get the email adress from that. I would/might put posters up, but will have to wait for the weather to improve.
    In which case if you really want to return it, put posters up telling people to phone or email you. To determine who isn't lying, ask for the name of the iPod. If they claim they can't remember it, get them to name any embarassing songs etc. which they know they have on there, or get them to name any podcasts that they're subscribed to.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure there are noooooooo Itunes songs on there at all? I know I registered my Ipod Serial number with Apple when I first got it... it may be worth contacting apple with the serial number to see if they are able to contact the owner.

ReputationRep:
    Hand it in to a nearby police station. If someone is massively intent on finding the thing they will be sure to check there.

If noone claims it after 6 weeks (I think, you'd have to check this) then it's legally yours to keep.

ReputationRep:
    if I'd lost mine on the street I wouldn't expect to get it back. Just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    well done on wanting to return it - recommend handing it in to the police though

ReputationRep:
    seriously, keep it

ReputationRep:
    All iPods have a serial number on the back of them.
    Phone up apple , quote the number to them , they can look on their system and see who it was sold to and then you can send it to them ?
    Dunno if that will work , but it seems the fairest way to ensure it gets back to rightful owner.
    I adore my iPod and would hope that someone would try and get it back to me.

ReputationRep:
    Like many others have said: give it to your headmaster or the police. I wish all people were as honest as you are!

ReputationRep:
    police id say,they dont get it from them you can keep it!

ReputationRep:
    See if there's a name scribed into the ipod.

My ipod had my name on the back metal cover and that's how someone in my school was able to give it back to me.
    Otherwise give it to the school or keep it. Their loss!

Don't give it to the police, most likely they will keep it. Just try the headmaster and such or better yet just keep it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not my school, so I'm not really sure how I could get it to the headmaster. And I can't find Apple's number anywhere! (Apart from the sales one)

ReputationRep:
    It's not my school, so I'm not really sure how I could get it to the headmaster. And I can't find Apple's number anywhere! (Apart from the sales one)
    Just use the technical support number, next best thing and they will be able to put you through to someone/tell you if its a lost cause

0844 209 0611

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Plug headphones in, turn music on, put head phones into ears, put ipod into pocket, walk.
    This man speaks wise words. Give him a medal. :cool:
    --------
    OP, Ok if you're really that keen to get it back to the owner...then;

Put an advert in your local paper - lost and found section (not all local papers have this though)

Then get the ipod 'claimers' to verify what type of albums/top playlist tacks/apps they have on it etc.

Or doesnt the Ipod have any pics on it? i.e. a lead to the owners face

Or simply sell it and give the money to charity.

ReputationRep:
    lol i cant believe people are talking about handing it in...Keeep it!!!!!!
    cos i knw if i lost my ipod i wouldnt get it back

ReputationRep:
    It's all in the title really, I found it outside Highgate Wood School in
    North London if anyone knows anyone who has lost one.

So what should I do?

MY guess is...

they will..

Trace the owner by the SerialID on the Ipod to the customer services and they'll pinpoint to the location of the ISP of the person who used ITunes downloaded and of course, they cannot give person information, so they'll ask you to mail it to them and they will return it rightly back to them?

ReputationRep:
    you can hand it in at the school and put posters up about it x

ReputationRep:
    Put up fliers. Police = Useless.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure it's from the school, as it was actually in a nearby field, but the type of music certianly doesn't seem like that of a dog walker (not that I'm sterotyping)

I don't want to give it to the police, because chances are they will just keep it...and I'm too busy at the moment to go to the police station and answer loads of questions. But i guess I could go at the weekend.
    I think if the owner doesn't collect it after a period of time you are allowed to have it as your own. (if you hand it into the police, obv)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.