Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Financial help!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, so i'm currently in uni, doing a law degree. which i'm hating. I want to quit the course, have a year out and then come back and study a social degree. I've also found that i'm pregnant, which is the reason for the gap year. I have had 3 years funding. So is wondering does anyone know about any funding i could be intitled to if i return?

Be a great help

Thankss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XsugafairyX)
    Hello, so i'm currently in uni, doing a law degree. which i'm hating. I want to quit the course, have a year out and then come back and study a social degree. I've also found that i'm pregnant, which is the reason for the gap year. I have had 3 years funding. So is wondering does anyone know about any funding i could be intitled to if i return?

Be a great help

Thankss

You are aware babies tend to last longer than a solitary year, yes?

ReputationRep:
    Well im bigger enough to bring one into the world so I can tell you i'm aware of that fact.

ReputationRep:
    Well im bigger enough to bring one into the world so I can tell you i'm aware of that fact.
    Literally, maybe.

Mentally, maybe not.

ReputationRep:
    You can only claim 4 years grant/loan. So if you went back to start again you would have to pay your own tuition fees (not too sure about Maintenance though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianvygus)
    You can only claim 4 years grant/loan. So if you went back to start again you would have to pay your own tuition fees (not too sure about Maintenance though).
    SLC provide 4 years cover so theoretically she has one year left. A baby will massively complicate it though because she would then be entitled to all the different get-young-mums-into-education grants that the government offer, of course they will be dependant on where she lives, how such the household income is etc etc.

ReputationRep:

Yes that is what i thought, just wasn't sure. Thankyou for the revelent and asked for help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    Literally, maybe.

Mentally, maybe not.

Well im not asking you for help on my mental health, so don't feel the need to comment on it. My question didn't ask if thought a complete stranger thinks im mentally ready for it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that is what i thought, just wasn't sure. Thankyou for the revelent and asked for help.
    Are you in your 3rd of 4th year?
    Even if you don't complete this year you will have to pay for it, I think you have to drop out before December or something to be exempt from tuition fees for that year.

ReputationRep:
    Are you in your 3rd of 4th year?
    Even if you don't complete this year you will have to pay for it, I think you have to drop out before December or something to be exempt from tuition fees for that year.

im in my 2nd, had alot of problems within my first year which didnt help with my studies.s I do plan to finish this year as i've been told so many credits will mean if I do another course instead of the full 3 years i should be ok to miss the first year and go straight into the second.

ReputationRep:
    im in my 2nd, had alot of problems within my first year which didnt help with my studies.s I do plan to finish this year as i've been told so many credits will mean if I do another course instead of the full 3 years i should be ok to miss the first year and go straight into the second.
    I suppose it depends on what you want to go into. When you start again they make you pay for the first few years and then you get the rest of the 4 year allowance at the end years of the course.
    You can appeal though, but I'm not sure if they'l count pregnancy has a valid reason. On an upside once you have the baby the grant/loan you do get will be really high because they won't go by your parents income and they will consider that you have someone 'dependant' on you.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on what you want to go into. When you start again they make you pay for the first few years and then you get the rest of the 4 year allowance at the end years of the course.
    You can appeal though, but I'm not sure if they'l count pregnancy has a valid reason. On an upside once you have the baby the grant/loan you do get will be really high because they won't go by your parents income and they will consider that you have someone 'dependant' on you.
    The main thing i'm worried about is not being able to pay tution fees, as i know this is something i really want to do. But i have started saving so hopefully everthing will be ok. Thanks very much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    SLC provide 4 years cover so theoretically she has one year left. A baby will massively complicate it though because she would then be entitled to all the different get-young-mums-into-education grants that the government offer, of course they will be dependant on where she lives, how such the household income is etc etc.
    SLC provide the length of your course plus 1 year - not a fixed 4 years. Many degrees are 4 years on their own.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.