Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    seeing as ive just about had enough of education by now, i decided that im not going to apply to university untill maybe a few years down the line if at all...

im thinking instead, ill apply for a season job in the french alps, andorra or any ski resort i can work in, then work where i can for the summer, and just do this untill im bored of it....(which i doubt would happen)

anyone done season work before? or anything similar?

ReputationRep:
    Nice

ReputationRep:
    it's called a gap year

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy it. Do whatever makes you happy.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds sick, would love that

ReputationRep:
    have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    it's called a gap year
    i am aware of what a gap year is my friend.. but i plan on going for as long as i can

ReputationRep:
    I got bored of education so I am taking a year out. I am actually enjoying it, but I'll know I'll be ready when I am finished.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would prefer that than uni right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimface!)
    seeing as ive just about had enough of education by now, i decided that im not going to apply to university untill maybe a few years down the line if at all...

im thinking instead, ill apply for a season job in the french alps, andorra or any ski resort i can work in, then work where i can for the summer, and just do this untill im bored of it....(which i doubt would happen)

My sister (who's already graduated) is working in Les Arcs at the moment. She couldn't find a FT job over here, and given that she's fluent in French she thought she'd just go over there for the season. She cooks, cleans and generally maintains a ski lodge for about 10 people - it's hard work, but she gets free accommodation, food, transport and unlimited ski passes.

If you don't want to go to university, don't. It's your life - enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    it's called a gap year
    haha love it!

ReputationRep:
    I would love to drop out of Uni, but I need to get a 2.1 to get where I need to be in life. The working side of Uni isn't fun when you can't cope with the material, and have developed low self esteem through bad exam performances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damarus)
    I would love to drop out of Uni, but I need to get a 2.1 to get where I need to be in life. The working side of Uni isn't fun when you can't cope with the material, and have developed low self esteem through bad exam performances.
    Ahh im exactly the same, haven't taken exams yet but i know they'll be awful and am struggling with the material before I even consider the quantity of it. Hardly seems worth it. I've taken to crying in broad daylight!

ReputationRep:
    My cousin's been doing that for about 4 or 5 years now. She does the Alps in the winter season, and then goes out to various places in Europe as a holiday rep in the summer. She absolutely loves it. Doesn't earn much, but she gets all-year-long holidays out of it. I think she does everything with Thompson so she's guaranteed jobs all year round, but doesn't get any say in the exact placement of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimface!)

Sounds like the ideal life. But what happens if say in 10 years time you do become bored of this life or you struggle to find work each year or the work you do find, you don't enjoy? Education is always a good back up for such scenarios and opens a lot more paths when it comes to work, more options etc. And when you think about it, if you graduate aged 21/22/23, you have the rest of your life to work - you're not in education that long when you put it into a larger context. I'm currently applying for a summer job as a rep, passed my first interview and have one more to go. If I do get the job, I will still be able to commit to studying, then work in the summer months - giving me the best of both worlds. Why don't you consider doing something similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ijustlovetolearn)
    Ahh im exactly the same, haven't taken exams yet but i know they'll be awful and am struggling with the material before I even consider the quantity of it. Hardly seems worth it. I've taken to crying in broad daylight!
    gah nvm

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i know someone who does something similar. Hes got a degree, but does winter in the Alps then summer back in England doing whatever he can, although hes done summer in NZ a couple of times. Very interesting lad, but a bit of a hippie.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.