Turn on thread page Beta

Can you be kicked out of halls for this? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

Just last week there was a flat party here in our halls, quite a large crowd was in attendance. While the night started out well it ended in complete disaster. One guy who was visiting tried to attack a someone who lived in the flat, so a fight ensued between the visitor and his friend against the member of the flat and myself. We both kicked the two visitors out. Along the way someone set the firealarm off. Afterwards there were a few girls complaining they had been hit in the incident and in the morning it was also discovered a door handle had been ripped off a door at some stage.

A meeting has now been called for all members of the block in question. As i was heavily involved in events, some people even blaming me for setting the fire alarm off, is it possible myself or others may be kicked out of halls? Bearing in mind most of us were extremely drunk, i dont even remember the incident.

Youre help and advice is very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... I've heard of people being removed from Halls for less - you have broken several rules of Halls just by having the party and inviting outsiders in, so if they want to they can kick you out

ReputationRep:
    Yes in theory they could.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it sounds like you will, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Being drunk isn't seen as an excuse for stuff. If you try using it as an excuse then they'll probably just tell you that you should have had less to drink.

Even if they don't kick you out, which they probably will, you'll probably be on pretty much final warning before they do.

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend once that got drunk, and went a tad mental in halls - not only did they kick him out of halls, the uni fined him and told him he had to go to alcohol counselling or they'd kick him out of uni altogether

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    I had a friend once that got drunk, and went a tad mental in halls - not only did they kick him out of halls, the uni fined him and told him he had to go to alcohol counselling or they'd kick him out of uni altogether
    Hahaha... awesome.

I really can't stand it when people use "but I was drunk" as an excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Claim it was the other 2, and that you 2 were just trying to get them to leave, and had to use self defence when they attacked you, and offer to pay the fines for the handle/fire alarm

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you will be kicked out if you talk at the meeting well.

Make it look like it was entirely unavoidable or something. They forced their way in or something against your will.

ReputationRep:
    Bye bye damage deposit........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky116)
    I dont think you will be kicked out if you talk at the meeting well.

Make it look like it was entirely unavoidable or something. They forced their way in or something against your will.
    This might work. Depends how many previous warnings you have had too.

People that use 'I was drunk' or 'I must have had my drink spiked' as an excuse are idiots that need to grow a pair and admit to what they did. I'm living with one of those morons at the moment. Can't wait to move out and let him know what I really think of him.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations.

It depends on your uni I think.

I know that when a friend of my housemate had a really loud block party, the people in the village called the police and it had t o be shut down.

They were fined and had to make dinner for the people that had phoned the police

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll get kicked out. Expect a fair wedge of a fine though.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the kind of stupid stuff which leads to ever more draconian rules being placed on hall residents...

If you can't control a party don't have one....plenty of people manage to have them ok.

Also I think a good general rule of uni hall parties is don't invite strangers in, "visitors" wanting to crash a 1st year student party rarely have benign intentions, at best they want to have sex with a fresher, at worst they want to rob the joint

ReputationRep:
    Hate to break it to you but I hope you have some savings stored up, they're going to fine you and keep your damage deposit in all likelihood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Thats the kind of stupid stuff which leads to ever more draconian rules being placed on hall residents...

If you can't control a party don't have one....plenty of people manage to have them ok.

Also I think a good general rule of uni hall parties is don't invite strangers in, "visitors" wanting to crash a 1st year student party rarely have benign intentions, at best they want to have sex with a fresher, at worst they want to rob the joint
    This.

Being inebriated isn't an excuse for anybody to cause what is essentially criminal damage and setting fire alarms off.Unless you caused a serious amount of damage I don't think you'll be evicted but I'd expect some serious fines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    Bloody hell, what did he do?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Bloody hell, what did he do?!
    He didn't do anything too bad, was just really drunk in halls - but he did live with a couple of muslims from malaysia and they were really scared while he was drunk and locked themselves in their room - so they complained about him which is fair enough... I think the uni just wanted to make an example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Noone plans for a party to go out of control... once people get it in their heads to cause drunken chaos there's only so much you can do!

Keep it foolish.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you do get kicked out. I have F****** ***** p**** who can't show a basic level of respect.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.