Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, ok to be fair my lectures are one hour 50mins long, but I have the attention span of a small child. I'd say I have good attention for the first 15mins, then after 25 I'm completely out of it. My current lecture format is:

-60mins
    -5min break
    -50mins

Lecture style is pretty much non-stop talking on behalf of the lecturer, no questions, just information-overload. Other people have questioned the department but the response is always "there is too much to cover".

I've tried all the "dynamic note taking" techniques and read several books on effective studying but i just can't make it work. I suppose it doesn't help that my degree is law, which no lecturer can seem to make vaguely interesting (I know, i know, im doing the wrong degree).

What can I do short of taking black market ritalin? (joke).

ReputationRep:
    When I start back I have triple lectures! eurgh.

I'll tell you when I find out, only single lectures until now.

ReputationRep:
    You're taking the wrong degree then!!!
    Nah, seriously though, lectures do get pretty boring sometimes. My only suggestion is to sit right at the front. That way, you'll have no choice but to concentrate...

ReputationRep:
    2 hour seminars are much worse - you actually have to pay attention 100% of the time incase they ask you things, bad times.

ReputationRep:
    I don't, hence when exam time comes (ie now) i am ****** lol

although on the odd occasions when i do, lots and lots of caffeine is the key

ReputationRep:
    Give your friends a dictaphone on your behalf, and stay in bed.

ReputationRep:
    Try 4 hour lectures.
    They are painful.
    I have such a short attention span as well, I can't concentrate after 30 minutes.
    I usually fall asleep then at the end of the lecture wonder what they're going on about.
    Anyway just make loads of notes, that way your actually doing something instead of sitting there and letting your brain switch off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ555)
    Well, ok to be fair my lectures are one hour 50mins long, but I have the attention span of a small child. I'd say I have good attention for the first 15mins, then after 25 I'm completely out of it. My current lecture format is:

-60mins
    -5min break
    -50mins

Lecture style is pretty much non-stop talking on behalf of the lecturer, no questions, just information-overload. Other people have questioned the department but the response is always "there is too much to cover".

I've tried all the "dynamic note taking" techniques and read several books on effective studying but i just can't make it work. I suppose it doesn't help that my degree is law, which no lecturer can seem to make vaguely interesting (I know, i know, im doing the wrong degree).

What can I do short of taking black market ritalin? (joke).
    It's not that bad, especially that you're studying law. When I was at school I had classes from 8am to 4pm - and that was a nightmare

ReputationRep:
    Try a four hour lecture on a Friday afternoon. The only way I get through it is to bring snacks, quite possibly coffee, bring a hoodie because the lecture theatre is always freezing, and sudoku for when the rambling goes on a little too long.

As for making the content seem interesting, I don't tend to ask questions because it just annoys everybody else, but rather I bring my essay questions with me and start planning them, forming arguments and so on. That tends to keep me interested, but what can I say, I'm easily amused

ReputationRep:
    I had 3 hour lectures on a previous course - they were like hell on earth! 99% of the people in the class were nodding off after 2 hours though. It didn't help that the lecturer had one of those droning voices either :o:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    lol thats not bad... I have 3 hours of lectures back to back
    Just text ppl though or fb!

ReputationRep:
    Get up and walk around during your 5minute break. You coped at school with several hours in a row without major breaks, I don't see why you suddenly can't do it now.

ReputationRep:
    I used to concentrate on taking notes on everything. Or failing that, doodle! As long as they don't see you doodling then no problem Also, been busted on this one before - just stay cool and make sure you're listening! If you can repeat back to them what they've just said in the lecture, they'll get off your back. I actually got yelled at once, and he backed right off when I smiled sweetly and repeated his last couple of minutes worth of lectures Student - 1. Lecturer - 0.

ReputationRep:
    Take a dictaphone and sleep through them. If you have the wrong lecturer it can be hellish. Nothing you can do, everyone seems to find it hard to concentrate bar the odd few,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    It's not that bad, especially that you're studying law. When I was at school I had classes from 8am to 4pm - and that was a nightmare
    I think you'll find lectures at university are a tiny bit more intense than lessons at school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    I think you'll find lectures at university are a tiny bit more intense than lessons at school.
    Probably you're right :p:

ReputationRep:
    Laptop and a wireless connection

ReputationRep:
    2 hours of sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Get up and walk around during your 5minute break. You coped at school with several hours in a row without major breaks, I don't see why you suddenly can't do it now.
    The difference is school classes are alot more like seminars. Its a tiny bit of lecturing, followed by debate/discussion then practical exercises (writing/something creative) as apposed to two hours of straight lecturing on a single topic.

And I think I might just have to take up the sudoku idea!

ReputationRep:
    Haribo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.